PDA

View Full Version : ASK 21 spin testing

Pete Startup[_2_]
January 26th 11, 06:09 PM
Accession Number : ADA213513 - a spin test report carried out by the guys
at Edwards.

Can any of you guys Stateside point me in the direction of this report?
Says it's Approved for Public Release but I can't find a link that
works.

Cheers in advance.

Tim Taylor
January 27th 11, 12:12 AM
On Jan 26, 11:09*am, Pete Startup > wrote:
> Accession Number : ADA213513 - a spin test report carried out by the guys
> at Edwards.
>
> Can any of you guys Stateside point me in the direction of this report?
> Says it's Approved for Public Release but I can't find a link that
> works.
>
> Cheers in advance.

My search shows that there is no electronic version available at this
time. The NTIS (http://www.ntis.gov/search/index.aspx) has it at
$40.00 Microfiche and
$60.00-Print on Demand. Would likely cost a little extra for overseas
shipping.

Accession Number:
ADA213513

Full Text (pdf) Availability:
Size: 0 KB
Handle / proxy Url: No Full Text PDF Available

Citation Status:
A - Active

Title:
Schleicher ASK - 21 Glider (TG-9) Stall and Spin.

Fields and Groups :
010100 - Aerodynamics
010306 - Training Aircraft
010308 - Gliders and Parachutes

Corporate Author:
AIR FORCE FLIGHT TEST CENTER EDWARDS AFB CA

Personal Author(s):
Janzen, Doyle B
Precourt, Charles J

Report Date:
Jul 1989

Media Count:
129 Pages(s)

Organization Type:
F - AIR FORCE
Report Number(s):

AFFTC-TR-89-27 (AFFTCTR8927)

Descriptive Note:
Final rept.,

Abstract:
This report documents the results of the Schleicher ASK- 21
Glider (TG-9) Stall and Spin Evaluation. Testing included evaluation
of the departure and spin susceptibility of the aircraft as a function
of weight and cg, definition of spin modes and modes characteristics
as well as the control effects on those modes. Stall and spin flight
tests of the ASK-21 were conducted between 27 April and 31 May 1989 at
the Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC), Edwards AFB, California.
ballast; Training aircraft. (SDW).

Distribution Limitation(s):
01 - APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

Source Serial:

Source Code:
012100

Document Location:
1 - DTIC AND NTIS

Geopolitical Code:
0618

SBI Holding Symbol:
TRAL NWC ATLF TAV

T[_2_]
January 27th 11, 12:16 AM
On Jan 26, 10:09*am, Pete Startup > wrote:
> Accession Number : ADA213513 - a spin test report carried out by the guys
> at Edwards.
>
> Can any of you guys Stateside point me in the direction of this report?
> Says it's Approved for Public Release but I can't find a link that
> works.
>
> Cheers in advance.

I just sent a note off to some TPS Grads.. we'll see what they come up
with.
The report was most likely completed by the Test Pilot School.

Derek C
January 30th 11, 08:41 PM
On Jan 26, 6:09*pm, Pete Startup > wrote:
> Accession Number : ADA213513 - a spin test report carried out by the guys
> at Edwards.
>
> Can any of you guys Stateside point me in the direction of this report?
> Says it's Approved for Public Release but I can't find a link that
> works.
>
> Cheers in advance.

I can give some practical advice after years of instructing in K21s.
They will spin only towards the bottom end of the front cockpit weight
range, or if tail ballast is fitted. Only stick hard back with full
rudder will promote a spin, and it recovers as soon as you move the
stick forward. With heavier front seat pilots, or no tail ballast, it
will only drop a wing and then go into a gentle spiral dive that can
be recovered by normal control inputs. Although I have not tried it
for airspace reasons, I understand that it will spin quite well above
10,000ft altitude.

Derek C

T[_2_]
January 30th 11, 10:26 PM
On Jan 26, 4:16*pm, T > wrote:
> On Jan 26, 10:09*am, Pete Startup > wrote:
>
> > Accession Number : ADA213513 - a spin test report carried out by the guys
> > at Edwards.
>
> > Can any of you guys Stateside point me in the direction of this report?
> > Says it's Approved for Public Release but I can't find a link that
> > works.
>
> > Cheers in advance.
>
> I just sent a note off to some TPS Grads.. we'll see what they come up
> with.
> The report was most likely completed by the Test Pilot School.

I have a copy of the report and forwarded to the OP. Is there a
public place to post it?
I'll try to get it up on our clubs web page soon.

Andreas Maurer
January 30th 11, 11:26 PM
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:26:32 -0800 (PST), T > wrote:

>I have a copy of the report and forwarded to the OP. Is there a
>public place to post it?
>I'll try to get it up on our clubs web page soon.

Hi T,

I'd be very glad if you could forward this report to me, too. :)

Best wishes
Andreas

John Smith
January 30th 11, 11:34 PM
Andreas Maurer wrote:
> I'd be very glad if you could forward this report to me, too. :)

A couple of years ago, I asked the Schleicher factory whether they had a
copy. They were happy to send me one for a few euros.

Andreas Maurer
January 30th 11, 11:53 PM
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 00:34:54 +0100, John Smith
> wrote:

>Andreas Maurer wrote:
>> I'd be very glad if you could forward this report to me, too. :)
>
>A couple of years ago, I asked the Schleicher factory whether they had a
>copy. They were happy to send me one for a few euros.

Ah... I have to admit that I haven't even thought of asking them!

Since I'll be talking to Schleicher's Gregor Heller soon (in order to
renew the yearly permit to fly of the AS 22-2 - what a pain in the ***
if your glider doesn't have a type certificate in Germany!) I'll ask
him about the report - thx for the hint!

Regards
Andreas

vaughn[_3_]
January 31st 11, 01:32 AM
"T" > wrote in message
>I have a copy of the report and forwarded to the OP. Is there a
>public place to post it?

If nothing else, you can load it to a free archive site like
http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post a link to it.

Vaughn

T[_2_]
February 1st 11, 12:16 AM
On Jan 30, 5:32*pm, "vaughn" > wrote:
> "T" > wrote in message

> >I have a copy of the report and forwarded to the OP. *Is there a
> >public place to post it?
>
> If nothing else, you can load it to a free archive site likehttp://www.mediafire.com/and then post a link to it.
>
> Vaughn

http://www.mediafire.com/?2syzfyjbq0k7nah
USAF Test Pilot School ASK-21 Spin Test Report

vaughn[_3_]
February 1st 11, 01:25 AM
"T" > wrote in message
>http://www.mediafire.com/?2syzfyjbq0k7nah
>USAF Test Pilot School ASK-21 Spin Test Report

OK, I tested it. The link is good and it downloads fine!

Thanks
Vaughn

Fred Blair[_2_]
February 3rd 11, 01:35 AM
On Jan 31, 8:25*pm, "vaughn" > wrote:
> "T" > wrote in message

> >http://www.mediafire.com/?2syzfyjbq0k7nah
> >USAF Test Pilot School ASK-21 Spin Test Report
>
> OK, I tested it. *The link is good and it downloads fine!
>
> Thanks
> Vaughn

I saw a video of this testing at a presentation done by Jim Payne back
in the 80's. Supposedly you could get one from the Air Force but I
was never successful.

Dave Newill
February 3rd 11, 03:01 AM
> I saw a video of this testing at a presentation done by Jim Payne back
> in the 80's. *Supposedly you could get one from the Air Force but I
> was never successful.

I too have seen the video - it was interesting in that it shows both
the pitching moment as well as the change in rotation rate associated
with the pitch oscillation. Way nose down and she really spun up -
nose high and the rate decreased. All of this was due to the accident
at USAFA with a civil passenger (family member of academy staff if I
remember correctly) on board. Some thought the CG was aft of spec,
although the numbers didn't really prove that. Enough of old and
faded memories.

Google