PDA

View Full Version : Mountain waves in Germany on Feb 5th

Andreas Maurer
February 11th 11, 02:03 AM
Last weekend (Feb 5th and Feb 6th 2011) we had the strongest mountain
wave ever experienced in the Rhine valley.

Altitudes reached were FL240 - not too shabby for mountains that are
only 1.500 ft high in average, isn't it? :)

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/daily.html?st=olcp&rt=olc&df=2011-02-05&sp=2011&c=DE&sc=

Climb rates were up to 12 kts (usually we are glad to exceed 2 kts).
Unfortunately we seldom exceed 7.000 ft in this part of Germany, so
only a couple of lucky guys were equipped with Transponders and Oxygen
that allowed them to climb past FL100.

Publicity-wise this day was hugely successful, too:
We got a couple of huge articles in nationwide newspapers, some of
them one third of a page!

For the German-speaking readers:
http://www.bilderhoster.net/safeforbilder/mt69yv2k.jpg

We got literally hundres of high-quality photos and videos (many of
the air-to-air from close range) - you can find some of the pictures
here:
http://www.schwerewelle.de/
http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/2011/05.02.2011/pfaelzer-wald-haardtwelle/1-x-worms-ca.-5.500m
http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/2011/05.02.2011/pfaelzer-wald-haardtwelle/jochen-vorlaeufiger-seitentitel
http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/2011/05.02.2011/pfaelzer-wald-haardtwelle/1-x-heppenheim-7.041m

Regards
Andreas

Bob
February 11th 11, 05:24 AM
Dang, and I had to do family things last Saturday!

T8
February 11th 11, 01:05 PM
http://www.schwerewelle.de/

Clearly, soaring is just as hard on the hair in Germany as the US :-).

Great day, thanks for sharing.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

rlovinggood
February 11th 11, 02:17 PM
On Feb 10, 9:03*pm, Andreas Maurer > wrote:
> Last weekend (Feb 5th and Feb 6th 2011) we had the strongest mountain
> wave ever experienced in the Rhine valley.
>
> Altitudes reached were FL240 - not too shabby for mountains that are
> only 1.500 ft high in average, isn't it? :)
>
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/daily.html?st=olcp&rt=ol....
>
> Climb rates were up to 12 kts (usually we are glad to exceed 2 kts).
> Unfortunately we seldom exceed 7.000 ft in this part of Germany, so
> only a couple of lucky guys were equipped with Transponders and Oxygen
> that allowed them to climb past FL100.
>
> Publicity-wise this day was hugely successful, too:
> We got a couple of huge articles in nationwide newspapers, some of
> them one third of a page!
>
> For the German-speaking readers:http://www.bilderhoster.net/safeforbilder/mt69yv2k.jpg
>
> We got literally hundres of high-quality photos and videos (many of
> the air-to-air from close range) - you can find some of the pictures
> here:http://www.schwerewelle.de/http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/2011/05.02.2011/pfaelzer-wald-haa...http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/2011/05.02.2011/pfaelzer-wald-haa...http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/2011/05.02.2011/pfaelzer-wald-haa...
>
> Regards
> Andreas

Wave?
On a weekend?
At Landau?
Really?

I sure hope some celebratory beers were enjoyed at the end of the
day!!!!

Well done!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA