PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior Championships

Walt Connelly
March 6th 11, 11:46 PM
The Senior Championships are coming up next week at Seminole Lake Glider Port and I am as excited as a virgin on her wedding night. I have the back seat of Karl Striedieck's Duo Discus reserved for Tuesday of the event and I am looking forward to this like a kid waiting for Christmas. I am sure this will be a great learning experience, a chance to see a true champion do what he does. Hope the weather cooperates, much of last years event was washed out.

Walt

hretting
March 7th 11, 02:07 AM
Tuesday is looking to be one of the hottest for the week, so it's
looking good for your consummation. Be sure to eat 2 chili dogs, 1
bean burrito, and 3 Pepsi to get the best pumping action out of Karl
as he has never lost a day when prodded along by encouragement from
the rear.
After all, everyone should get nothing but the best effort on their
wedding night.

See you there.

Walt Connelly
March 7th 11, 01:35 PM
Tuesday is looking to be one of the hottest for the week, so it's
looking good for your consummation. Be sure to eat 2 chili dogs, 1
bean burrito, and 3 Pepsi to get the best pumping action out of Karl
as he has never lost a day when prodded along by encouragement from
the rear.
After all, everyone should get nothing but the best effort on their
wedding night.

See you there.

Oddly put, do I detect a bit of double entendre? I am not one to prod a Karl from the rear, a Karla perhaps but not a Karl.

I was thinking of a low residue meal, the one you described reminds me of one I had just before qualifying in the altitude chamber 40 years ago. 'Twas an explosive environment for sure. Actually it would be tough to find two chili dogs and a bean burrito around SLGP. There is a gas station down the road on 33 but the best you could do there would be a mass produced, pre packaged Cuban Sandwich and I would recommend against that. Had one last year and it was the best laxative I've ever had.

Walt

ls8234
March 7th 11, 04:25 PM
On Mar 6, 9:07*pm, hretting > wrote:
> Tuesday is looking to be one of the hottest for the week, so it's
> looking good for your consummation. Be sure to eat 2 chili dogs, 1
> bean burrito, and 3 Pepsi to get the best pumping action out of *Karl
> as he has never lost a day when prodded along by *encouragement from
> the rear.
> After all, everyone should get nothing but the best effort on their
> wedding night.
>
> See you there.

Oh, Romeo you are.........so, so bad!
DI

hretting
March 7th 11, 09:57 PM
I could not resist....I will say that some of the best gut busting
tales are those that happened aboard the S.S. KS, all as a public
service to the US Team. And the great thing is KS enthusiasm has not
faded. From Ed B. and Ray G. to the newbies who failed to understand
what was required to stay in a thermal, Fighter Pilot style.
We all look forward to what tale you come home with.

Walt Connelly
March 8th 11, 02:34 AM
I could not resist....I will say that some of the best gut busting
tales are those that happened aboard the S.S. KS, all as a public
service to the US Team. And the great thing is KS enthusiasm has not
faded. From Ed B. and Ray G. to the newbies who failed to understand
what was required to stay in a thermal, Fighter Pilot style.
We all look forward to what tale you come home with.

I look forward to seeing what a fighter pilot does in a thermal, I'll be taking notes. I've spent the last year trying to teach myself how to stay in one and would welcome any first hand experience, especially from someone with Karl's record. You speak as though I should be scared. I've been scared in an airplane before, but someone was shooting at me. I've spoken to Chuck Coyne and I hope to have an account of my ride in Soaring Magazine.

Walt

hretting
March 8th 11, 03:19 PM
The fighter pilot note was how a newbie might describe max effort
competition thermaling (are you confuse again?) is. Remember, you're
the virgin and unlike being shot at (hmmm, potential gig), this will
be a good kind of scared (read thrill).
Also, I want to acknowledge Doug Jacobs and others, like Karl, who
have allowed so many to see what so few are aware of. I failed to
mention that in a previous post. All the ride-a-long stories would
make a great read.

Walt Connelly
March 9th 11, 01:41 AM
The fighter pilot note was how a newbie might describe max effort
competition thermaling (are you confuse again?) is. Remember, you're
the virgin and unlike being shot at (hmmm, potential gig), this will
be a good kind of scared (read thrill).
Also, I want to acknowledge Doug Jacobs and others, like Karl, who
have allowed so many to see what so few are aware of. I failed to
mention that in a previous post. All the ride-a-long stories would
make a great read.

R. I can't tell you how much I look forward to losing my virginity. I just hope it's a BIG day and Karl can KEEP IT UP all day long. I've not heard the term "max effort competition thermaling" before but I am ready to observe and learn.

I hope to be one of the few who gets to see much of what so many are unaware. Guys like myself are thankful for guys like karl and Doug Jacobs and others who make such things possible.

Hope to have the story of my ride along (loss of virginity) in SSA Magazine along with pictures and my thoughts on condom catheters.

Walt

BruceGreeff
March 9th 11, 08:16 AM
That first time you find yourself in the middle of a glittering column
of 20-30 long wings all trying to get the maximum out of a thermal you
will start to understand.

When you see traces of a once world champion rejecting a 4m/s thermal a
500m and flying on to the dust devil below the tops of the grain silos a
couple of km away, you may start to wonder at the sanity...

At some point you start enjoying it - at whatever level of commitment is
right for you.

Personally I tend to head off once a thermal gaggle gets past 5 or 6
gliders, and am happy to keep it up on my own. Others seem to need a group.

Bruce

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771 & Std Cirrus #57

Walt Connelly
March 9th 11, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=BruceGreeff;765009]That first time you find yourself in the middle of a glittering column
of 20-30 long wings all trying to get the maximum out of a thermal you
will start to understand.

When you see traces of a once world champion rejecting a 4m/s thermal a
500m and flying on to the dust devil below the tops of the grain silos a
couple of km away, you may start to wonder at the sanity...

At some point you start enjoying it - at whatever level of commitment is
right for you.

Personally I tend to head off once a thermal gaggle gets past 5 or 6
gliders, and am happy to keep it up on my own. Others seem to need a group.

Bruce

Well the weather for Tuesday calls for partly cloudy with a high of 79 and a low of 55. Not sure what the difference between partly cloudy and partly sunny is but I will be completely disappointed if we don't get to fly closer to completely than partially.

I have investigated the wonderful world of the condom catheter with the requisite accoutrements such as additional tubing and a leg bag which I am sure would keep at least one of my ankles warm and cozy. Let's see, what else? Okay, my camelback will be filled with about 1.5 liters of H20, my camera battery will be charged, a couple of granola bars, maybe a roast beef sandwich and a bag of chips, a pocket knife, a space blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, inflatable boat, a pistol, 50 rounds of ammunition (I'm gonna be gone most of the afternoon.) Just kidding, I won't need 50 rounds of ammo. A note pad and a pen, I will be doing some note taking along with shooting some pics. I'm even beginning to dream of this adventure.

Walt

Bruce Hoult
March 10th 11, 03:35 AM
On Mar 10, 12:57*pm, Walt Connelly <Walt.Connelly.
> wrote:
> > I have investigated the wonderful world of the condom catheter with the
> > requisite accoutrements such as additional tubing and a leg bag which I
> > am sure would keep at least one of my ankles warm and cozy. *Let's see,
> > what else? *Okay, my camelback will be filled with about 1.5 liters of
> > H20, my camera battery will be charged, a couple of granola bars, maybe
> > a roast beef sandwich and a bag of chips, a pocket knife, a space
> > blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, inflatable boat, a pistol, 50
> > rounds of ammunition (I'm gonna be gone most of the afternoon.) *Just
> > kidding, I won't need 50 rounds of ammo. *A note pad and a pen, I will
> > be doing some note taking along with *shooting some pics. *I'm even
> > beginning to dream of this adventure. *

I hope you're not thermalling too close to another glider when that
bag of chips explodes!!

Walt Connelly
March 10th 11, 12:54 PM
*Let's see,
what else? *Okay, my camelback will be filled with about 1.5 liters of
H20, my camera battery will be charged, a couple of granola bars, maybe
a roast beef sandwich and a bag of chips, a pocket knife, a space
blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, inflatable boat, a pistol, 50
rounds of ammunition (I'm gonna be gone most of the afternoon.) *Just
kidding, I won't need 50 rounds of ammo.

I hope you're not thermalling too close to another glider when that
bag of chips explodes!![/QUOTE]

Bruce, I've taken a small bag of chips aloft in a 1-34 and at 4000 feet although it bloated a bit it did not explode. It would be interesting to know at what altitude that might happen. I have become a fan of Pringles though and I would have to use a baggie to avoid the tube. I would imagine that at some of the altitudes they can achieve out west in wave and perhaps even in thermals would cause such an event. My guess based on the recent cloud bottoms around here is that we will be lucky as heck to make 4 to 5K feet.

Walt

Tony[_5_]
March 10th 11, 02:17 PM
On Mar 10, 6:54*am, Walt Connelly <Walt.Connelly.
> wrote:
> *Let's see,
> what else? *Okay, my camelback will be filled with about 1.5 liters
> of
> H20, my camera battery will be charged, a couple of granola bars,
> maybe
> a roast beef sandwich and a bag of chips, a pocket knife, a space
> blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, inflatable boat, a pistol, 50
> rounds of ammunition (I'm gonna be gone most of the afternoon.) *Just
> kidding, I won't need 50 rounds of ammo.
>
> I hope you're not thermalling too close to another glider when that
> bag of chips explodes!!
>
> Bruce, I've taken a small bag of chips aloft in a 1-34 and at 4000 feet
> although it bloated a bit it did not explode. *It would be interesting to
> know at what altitude that might happen. *I have become a fan of Pringles
> though and I would have to use a baggie to avoid the tube. *I would
> imagine that at some of the altitudes they can achieve out west in wave
> and perhaps even in thermals would cause such an event. *My guess based on
> the recent cloud bottoms around here is that we will be lucky as heck to
> make 4 to 5K feet.
>
> Walt
>
> --
> Walt Connelly

My experience in the Cessna 421 was small chip bags explode at ~14,000
ft cabin altitude. And it really really gets your attention if you're
not expecting it!

Burt Compton - Marfa
March 10th 11, 03:17 PM
My experience with the inevitable crumbs from chips, dry granola bars
and sandwiches is that you'll have mice in your glider the next day!

I suggest bananas and apples.

Walt Connelly
March 10th 11, 09:28 PM
My experience with the inevitable crumbs from chips, dry granola bars
and sandwiches is that you'll have mice in your glider the next day!

I suggest bananas and apples.

Tony, thanks for the info on potential chip bag explosion altitude. Quite confident that we will not approach 14K.

Burt, I bow to your greater wisdom, I'll dispense with the chips and granola bars. I really don't expect that much nutrition will be necessary during this event especially in that I am but a passenger. H20, maybe a banana and I will be good to go, thanks for the advice.

Walt

Frank Paynter[_2_]
March 10th 11, 11:14 PM
On Mar 10, 7:54*am, Walt Connelly <Walt.Connelly.
> wrote:
> *Let's see,
> what else? *Okay, my camelback will be filled with about 1.5 liters
> of
> H20, my camera battery will be charged, a couple of granola bars,
> maybe
> a roast beef sandwich and a bag of chips, a pocket knife, a space
> blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, inflatable boat, a pistol, 50
> rounds of ammunition (I'm gonna be gone most of the afternoon.) *Just
> kidding, I won't need 50 rounds of ammo.
>
> I hope you're not thermalling too close to another glider when that
> bag of chips explodes!!
>
> Bruce, I've taken a small bag of chips aloft in a 1-34 and at 4000 feet
> although it bloated a bit it did not explode. *It would be interesting to
> know at what altitude that might happen. *I have become a fan of Pringles
> though and I would have to use a baggie to avoid the tube. *I would
> imagine that at some of the altitudes they can achieve out west in wave
> and perhaps even in thermals would cause such an event. *My guess based on
> the recent cloud bottoms around here is that we will be lucky as heck to
> make 4 to 5K feet.
>
> Walt
>
> --
> Walt Connelly

Walt,

Take a dramamine before the flight, and take a couple of barf bags
along in case the dramamine doesn't work as well as it should. Even
very experienced soaring pilots get airsick in the back. I rode with
Doug twice a few years ago, and took a dramamine each time. Never had
a problem with airsickness, but didn't want to find out too late that
I did! ;-).

Frank

kevin anderson
March 11th 11, 12:12 AM
I would recommend Bonnine ( Dramamine II ) which is Meclizine, also
known as anti-vert. Used for motion sickness or for inner ear
problems. Not sedating like regular dramamine.

Either way, if you are going to take one of the other, try them
sometime on a day before the flight to find out how they effect you.

Some non sedating meds will sedate some people, and some meds like
dramamine will REALLY make some people very sleepy.

Kevin
192
92

Tom Dukerich
March 11th 11, 03:35 AM
On 3/10/2011 5:12 PM, kevin anderson wrote:
> I would recommend Bonnine ( Dramamine II ) which is Meclizine, also
> known as anti-vert. Used for motion sickness or for inner ear
> problems. Not sedating like regular dramamine.
>
> Either way, if you are going to take one of the other, try them
> sometime on a day before the flight to find out how they effect you.
>
> Some non sedating meds will sedate some people, and some meds like
> dramamine will REALLY make some people very sleepy.
>
> Kevin
> 192
> 92

I use ginger. If I have a root, I cut off a small section, peel it and
place between my check and gum like chewing tobacco.

If I don't have a root, a bottle of ginger capsules is under $10.

Tom

Larry Goddard
March 11th 11, 04:33 AM
"Tom Dukerich" > wrote in message
:

> On 3/10/2011 5:12 PM, kevin anderson wrote:
> > I would recommend Bonnine ( Dramamine II ) which is Meclizine, also
> > known as anti-vert. Used for motion sickness or for inner ear
> > problems. Not sedating like regular dramamine.
> >
> > Either way, if you are going to take one of the other, try them
> > sometime on a day before the flight to find out how they effect you.
> >
> > Some non sedating meds will sedate some people, and some meds like
> > dramamine will REALLY make some people very sleepy.
> >
> > Kevin
> > 192
> > 92
> >

> I use ginger. If I have a root, I cut off a small section, peel it and
> place between my check and gum like chewing tobacco.
>
> If I don't have a root, a bottle of ginger capsules is under $10.
>
> Tom

Ginger _really_ made me sleepy the few times I used it.... YMMV.

Larry

Mike the Strike
March 11th 11, 04:36 AM
On Mar 10, 9:33*pm, "Larry Goddard" > wrote:
> "Tom Dukerich" > wrote in message
>
> :
>

> > On 3/10/2011 5:12 PM, kevin anderson wrote:
> > > I would recommend Bonnine ( Dramamine II ) which is Meclizine, also
> > > known as anti-vert. *Used for motion sickness or for inner ear
> > > problems. *Not sedating like regular dramamine.
>
> > > Either way, if you are going to take one of the other, try them
> > > sometime on a day before the flight to find out how they effect you.
>
> > > Some non sedating meds will sedate some people, and some meds like
> > > dramamine will REALLY make some people very sleepy.
>
> > > Kevin
> > > 192
> > > 92
>
> > I use ginger. *If I have a root, I cut off a small section, peel it and
> > place between my check and gum like chewing tobacco.
>
> > If I don't have a root, a bottle of ginger capsules is under $10.
>
> > Tom
>
> Ginger _really_ made me sleepy the few times I used it.... YMMV.
>
> Larry

Ginger is really great fro motion sickness and if you get sleepy you
can stick a bit in the other end! Guaranteed to wake you up!

Mike

Alan[_6_]
March 11th 11, 09:42 AM
In article > Walt Connelly > writes:

>Tony, thanks for the info on potential chip bag explosion altitude.
>Quite confident that we will not approach 14K.
>
>Burt, I bow to your greater wisdom, I'll dispense with the chips and
>granola bars. I really don't expect that much nutrition will be
>necessary during this event especially in that I am but a passenger.
>H20, maybe a banana and I will be good to go, thanks for the advice.
>
>Walt

A friend and I had a bag of chips explode (perhaps pop is a better word)
around 8000 feet in a cessna 172 a few years ago. They were in the top of a
bag of groceries in the back seat area.

Fortunately, we had another bag or two, so he was able to take pictures of
them bulging as he held them next to the altimeter.

As amusing as the sound of the bag popping, was the fairly rapid presence
of the smell of potato chips.

Alan

Jim Beckman[_2_]
March 11th 11, 02:22 PM
At 04:36 11 March 2011, Mike the Strike wrote:

>Ginger is really great for motion sickness and if you get sleepy you
>can stick a bit in the other end! Guaranteed to wake you up!

So who is this Ginger that you guys keep talking about? She sounds like
one helluva woman! You aren't referring to the character on Gilligan's
Island, I hope.

Jim Beckman

Walt Connelly
March 11th 11, 02:24 PM
;765182']In article Walt Connelly writes:

[...]

During the Vietnam War I served on the Airborne Battlefield Command and Control Center. A rather interesting environment to say the least, we had a number of creature comforts including an airline style head and a galley with a small oven. We could get the ubiquitous shoe box lunch from the flight line kitchen, a rather curious blend of questionable meats, cheeses, breads and condiments which would allow one to create their own sandwich in flight. Many opted for their own selection of things from the Bx which at the time included the new pop top cans of beanie weenies, raviolis, spaghetti and the like. One mission while some were asleep waiting for something to happen a rather annoying Captain who knew everything decided to heat up a can of ravioli, WITHOUT POPPING THE TOP FIRST. A few minutes later he reached into the oven to remove his lunch and returned to his seat on the battlestaff. When he popped the top it exploded, firing ravioli over the entire area. The Director, Airborne Battlestaff had been snoozing and came out of his seat like a rocket, only to observe a red sauce on the face of his second in command. Thinking we had been hit the DABS started putting on his chute. I was trying to suppress my laughter, I didn't need this guy on my ass any more than necessary. When he realized what had happened he was P----d. He read the Captain the riot act as the Captain sat there covered in ravioli and sauce. We were finding ravioli on that ship for weeks afterwards. The story was told time and time again with embellishments each time it was told. At the next Commanders Call the Squadron CO, said the next time that happened he would personally see to it that the offender spent the rest of their hitch in BF Egypt.

Walt

William Elliott
March 12th 11, 02:27 PM
On Mar 11, 8:24*am, Walt Connelly <Walt.Connelly.
> [...]
> popped the top it exploded, firing ravioli over the entire area. *The
> Director, Airborne Battlestaff had been snoozing and came out of his
> seat like a rocket, only to observe a red sauce on the face of his
> second in command. *Thinking we had been hit the DABS started putting on
> his chute. *I was trying to suppress my laughter, I didn't need this guy
> on my ass any more than necessary. *When he realized what had happened
> he was P----d. *He read the Captain the riot act as the Captain sat
> there covered in ravioli and sauce. *We were finding ravioli on that
> ship for weeks afterwards. *The story was told time and time again with
> embellishments each time it was told. *At the next Commanders Call the
> Squadron CO, said the next time that happened he would personally see to
> it that the offender spent the rest of their hitch in BF Egypt. *

The Soaring Cafe Team will has launched out new site this weekend to
provide a more interactive experience for pilots, crews and friends.
The http://SoaringCafe.net will focus next week on the U.S. Seniors
contest being held at Seminole-Lake Gliderport in Florida where it has
been hosted for many years.

The new site, http://soaringcafe.net, will have news, photos, tasks,
weather, pilot updates, reports, etc. from anybody who wants to post.
There is a simple Quick Post feature in the left sidebar that will
make it easy for anyone to create a quick post.

The Cafe Net will also be linked to a Facebook fan page, allowing
everyone with a Facebook account to follow all posts and comments on
their Facebook wall. Any comments made on your FB Wall will be synced
back to the original post on the Cafe Net. Search for Soaring
Cafe .net in Facebook and "Like" this fan page to follow along and
participate with your comments.

Also, we have a Twitter account for the Soaring Cafe as well. Follow
us on Twitter (@SoaringCafe) to keep up with the action on your
Smartphone.

We look forward to the launch and are eager to hear what you think
about the Cafe Net.

Regards,
The Soaring Cafe Team

Google