PDA

View Full Version : Verifying a club members pilot certificate and other paperwork

John Gilbert[_2_]
March 15th 11, 05:06 PM
A quick question or four:
Does you club verify that a member has a license, a valid BFR, and/or
any other certification documents? Do you record the actual numbers,
photocopy, or just verify?
Is it different if that member is just towing with their private ship,
as opposed to flying a club glider?
Are there downsides to knowing or not knowing this information?
Specific, not hypothetical examples if possible. (yeah, I'm
dreaming...)

Thanks!
John

Frank Whiteley
March 15th 11, 05:56 PM
On Mar 15, 11:06*am, John Gilbert > wrote:
> A quick question or four:
> Does you club verify that a member has a license, a valid BFR, and/or
> any other certification documents? Do you record the actual numbers,
> photocopy, or just verify?
> Is it different if that member is just towing with their private ship,
> as opposed to flying a club glider?
> Are there downsides to knowing or not knowing this information?
> Specific, not hypothetical examples if possible. (yeah, I'm
> dreaming...)
>
> Thanks!
> John

Left a message on your home phone. Call me 970-330-2050

Regards,

Frank Whiteley
Chair, SSA Clubs & Chapters Committee

Andy[_1_]
March 15th 11, 06:45 PM
On Mar 15, 10:06*am, John Gilbert > wrote:
> A quick question or four:
> Does you club verify that a member has a license, a valid BFR, and/or
> any other certification documents? Do you record the actual numbers,
> photocopy, or just verify?
> Is it different if that member is just towing with their private ship,
> as opposed to flying a club glider?
> Are there downsides to knowing or not knowing this information?
> Specific, not hypothetical examples if possible. (yeah, I'm
> dreaming...)
>
> Thanks!
> John

A local club requres proof of insurance for guests and that is done by
providing a copy of the insurance docs. To the best of my knowledge
no one is required to show they have a certificate and lack of one may
make the insurance invalid. Members require an annual check flight but
I have never shown my certificate or glider log book for that check
flight.

I don't think I have never been asked to show any personal
documentation at a local FBO. They must assume that if I show up with
an expensive glider that I'm qualified to fly it. Maybe that fact
that I've been showing up there for over 20 years has some influence.

Maybe we are all more trusting in this sport than we ought to be?

Andy

T8
March 16th 11, 12:41 AM
On Mar 15, 2:45*pm, Andy > wrote:

> Maybe we are all more trusting in this sport than we ought to be?

I really don't think so. I've only ever been towed by one guy that
turned out (I found out about ten years later) not to have a license.

-T8

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
March 16th 11, 03:21 AM
On 3/15/2011 5:41 PM, T8 wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2:45 pm, > wrote:
>>
>> Maybe we are all more trusting in this sport than we ought to be?
>>

> I really don't think so. I've only ever been towed by one guy that
> turned out (I found out about ten years later) not to have a license.

We had a similar problem, where a long time glider and tow pilot in our
club lost his license, but continued to tow for us anyway without
telling us. We were shocked when we found out, because it invalidated
our insurance, so we were paying a lot money for no protection. The lack
of protection for the club and the owners of the towplane was the
biggest issue, of course.

So, it happens. I think the tow pilots should be asked about supplying a
copy of their license and proof of currency every year, as a minimum.
It's in their interest, too, if they value the club and it's members;
and if they don't, maybe they are a poor choice for a towpilot.

email me)

Brad[_2_]
March 16th 11, 05:07 PM
On Mar 15, 8:21*pm, Eric Greenwell > wrote:
> On 3/15/2011 5:41 PM, T8 wrote:
>
> > On Mar 15, 2:45 pm, > *wrote:
>
> >> Maybe we are all more trusting in this sport than we ought to be?
>
> > I really don't think so. * I've only ever been towed by one guy that
> > turned out (I found out about ten years later) not to have a license.
>
> We had a similar problem, where a long time glider and tow pilot in our
> club lost his license, but continued to tow for us anyway without
> telling us. We were shocked when we found out, because it invalidated
> our insurance, so we were paying a lot money for no protection. The lack
> of protection for the club and the owners of the towplane was the
> biggest issue, of course.
>
> So, it happens. I think the tow pilots should be asked about supplying a
> copy of their license and proof of currency every year, as a minimum.
> It's in their interest, too, if they value the club and it's members;
> and if they don't, maybe they are a poor choice for a towpilot.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
> email me)

in addition, all CFIG's should be asked to show their paperwork also.
I would hate to have a student pilot find out all their instructional
flights were invalidated due to a out-of-currency CFIG, especially if
the student was a child..........imagine all that hard earned money
for lessons going to waste!

Brad

Bruce Hoult
March 17th 11, 02:35 AM
On Mar 17, 6:07*am, Brad > wrote:
> in addition, all CFIG's should be asked to show their paperwork also.
> I would hate to have a student pilot find out all their instructional
> flights were invalidated due to a out-of-currency CFIG, especially if
> the student was a child..........imagine all that hard earned money
> for lessons going to waste!

I don't see how that can happen. There are no requirements for a
certain number of hours or flights, only for proficiency which the
student has regardless of whether the instructor was legally current
or not.

Surely they could do a flight or two with a current instructor (or
examiner) and everything is fine.

(or course you still have the possible insurance and liability
problems, but those were while the flights were in progress, not after
their safe conclusion)

Tony V
March 17th 11, 03:13 AM
On 3/16/2011 10:35 PM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Mar 17, 6:07 am, > wrote:
>> in addition, all CFIG's should be asked to show their paperwork also.
>> I would hate to have a student pilot find out all their instructional
>> flights were invalidated due to a out-of-currency CFIG, especially if
>> the student was a child..........imagine all that hard earned money
>> for lessons going to waste!
>
> I don't see how that can happen. There are no requirements for a
> certain number of hours or flights, only for proficiency which the
> student has regardless of whether the instructor was legally current
> or not.
>
> Surely they could do a flight or two with a current instructor (or
> examiner) and everything is fine.
>
> (or course you still have the possible insurance and liability
> problems, but those were while the flights were in progress, not after
> their safe conclusion)

How so? If the guy in back was qualified to act as PIC, there are no
insurance problems, AFAIK. The only problem occurs when the "instructor"
signs the students log book.

Tony "6N"

Google