PDA

View Full Version : OLC download limit

Andy[_1_]
March 22nd 11, 01:54 PM
Today I tried to download just 3 flight logs from OLC. I could not
because OLC reported I had reached my download limit for the day.

What is the download limit? Why is there a download limit? Where is
it specified?

thanks

Andy

Mike[_8_]
March 22nd 11, 02:22 PM
On Mar 22, 7:54*am, Andy > wrote:
> Today I tried to download just 3 flight logs from OLC. I could not
> because OLC reported I had reached my download limit for the day.
>
> What is the download limit? *Why is there a download limit? *Where is
> it specified?
>
> thanks
>
> Andy

I once asked this of OLC, and was told they knew of no limit-this was
two years ago of so.

Andy[_1_]
March 22nd 11, 02:57 PM
On Mar 22, 7:22*am, Mike > wrote:
> On Mar 22, 7:54*am, Andy > wrote:
>
> > Today I tried to download just 3 flight logs from OLC. I could not
> > because OLC reported I had reached my download limit for the day.
>
> > What is the download limit? *Why is there a download limit? *Where is
> > it specified?
>
> > thanks
>
> > Andy
>
> I once asked this of *OLC, and was told they knew of no limit-this was
> two years ago of so.

Strange that the message

"You have reached the download limitation for today!"

would appear on my screen then.

Andy

Max Kellermann
March 22nd 11, 02:58 PM
Mike > wrote:
> I once asked this of OLC, and was told they knew of no limit-this
> was two years ago of so.

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/segelflugszene/cms.html?url=TermsOfUse

"The User shall be regularly permitted to retrieve up to ten analysis
files per calendar day (such amount hereinafter referred to as
"Reasonable Use"). Upon exceeding this limit, any further retrieval
of analysis files will be prevented for the remainder of the calendar
day. Further restrictions may be imposed if the stipulated limit is
repeatedly exceeded"

This rule is obviously evil, but not new.

Andy[_1_]
March 22nd 11, 03:52 PM
On Mar 22, 7:58*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> Mike > wrote:
> > I once asked this of OLC, and was told they knew of no limit-this
> > was two years ago of so.
>
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/segelflugszene/cms.html?url=Term....
>
> *"The User shall be regularly permitted to retrieve up to ten analysis
> *files per calendar day (such amount hereinafter referred to as
> *"Reasonable Use"). Upon exceeding this limit, any further retrieval
> *of analysis files will be prevented for the remainder of the calendar
> *day. Further restrictions may be imposed if the stipulated limit is
> *repeatedly exceeded"
>
> This rule is obviously evil, but not new.

If the download limit is 10 per day then either there is an
incompatibilty with Firefox, or a bug in the way the download count is
implemented.

I selected a flight log, then selected IGC (download), saved that
file, then attempted to use browser "back" function to go back the 2
pages required to select another flght log for the day. "Back" kept
returning me to the download management window where I repeatedly hit
cancel/back before I gave up and started a new session with OLC.

It seems that all the attempts to get past the download management
screen were counted as downloads even though I downloaded nothing.

(by download management screen I mean the window that offers the
choice of opening or saving the file)

So how do I select another flight after having downloaded an IGC file?

Andy

Mike the Strike
March 22nd 11, 04:41 PM
On Mar 22, 8:52*am, Andy > wrote:
> On Mar 22, 7:58*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
>
> > Mike > wrote:
> > > I once asked this of OLC, and was told they knew of no limit-this
> > > was two years ago of so.
>
> >http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/segelflugszene/cms.html?url=Term....
>
> > *"The User shall be regularly permitted to retrieve up to ten analysis
> > *files per calendar day (such amount hereinafter referred to as
> > *"Reasonable Use"). Upon exceeding this limit, any further retrieval
> > *of analysis files will be prevented for the remainder of the calendar
> > *day. Further restrictions may be imposed if the stipulated limit is
> > *repeatedly exceeded"
>
> > This rule is obviously evil, but not new.
>
> If the download limit is 10 per day then either there is an
> incompatibilty with Firefox, or a bug in the way the download count is
> implemented.
>
> I selected a flight log, then selected IGC (download), *saved that
> file, then attempted to use browser "back" function to go back the 2
> pages required to select another flght log for the day. * "Back" kept
> returning me to the download management window where I repeatedly hit
> cancel/back before I gave up and started a new session with OLC.
>
> It seems that all the attempts to get past the download management
> screen were counted as downloads even though I downloaded nothing.
>
> (by download management screen I mean the window that offers the
> choice of opening or saving the file)
>
> So how do I select another flight after having downloaded an IGC file?
>
> Andy

That's pretty much the method I use and I have downloaded plenty and
never hit a limit. I've used both Firefox and Google Chrome.

Maybe you need to upgrade your operating system and browser (still
using Windows 95 and Netscape?)

Mike

Andy[_1_]
March 22nd 11, 05:06 PM
On Mar 22, 9:41*am, Mike the Strike > wrote:
> On Mar 22, 8:52*am, Andy > wrote:

> > >http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/segelflugszene/cms.html?url=Term...
>
> > > *"The User shall be regularly permitted to retrieve up to ten analysis
> > > *files per calendar day (such amount hereinafter referred to as
> > > *"Reasonable Use"). Upon exceeding this limit, any further retrieval
> > > *of analysis files will be prevented for the remainder of the calendar
> > > *day. Further restrictions may be imposed if the stipulated limit is
> > > *repeatedly exceeded"
>
> > > This rule is obviously evil, but not new.
>
> > If the download limit is 10 per day then either there is an
> > incompatibilty with Firefox, or a bug in the way the download count is
> > implemented.
>
> > I selected a flight log, then selected IGC (download), *saved that
> > file, then attempted to use browser "back" function to go back the 2
> > pages required to select another flght log for the day. * "Back" kept
> > returning me to the download management window where I repeatedly hit
> > cancel/back before I gave up and started a new session with OLC.
>
> > It seems that all the attempts to get past the download management
> > screen were counted as downloads even though I downloaded nothing.
>
> > (by download management screen I mean the window that offers the
> > choice of opening or saving the file)
>
> > So how do I select another flight after having downloaded an IGC file?
>
> > Andy
>
> That's pretty much the method I use and I have downloaded plenty and
> never hit a limit. *I've used both Firefox and Google Chrome.
>
> Maybe you need to upgrade your operating system and browser (still
> using Windows 95 and Netscape?)
>
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

I stated clearly that the browser in use was Firefox. I didn't
declare the OS but it is XP Home.

I only use an archaic browser at work and that is forced on me by
company IT policies.

Andy

mike
March 23rd 11, 04:28 AM
On Mar 22, 8:57*am, Andy > wrote:
> On Mar 22, 7:22*am, Mike > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 22, 7:54*am, Andy > wrote:
>
> > > Today I tried to download just 3 flight logs from OLC. I could not
> > > because OLC reported I had reached my download limit for the day.
>
> > > What is the download limit? *Why is there a download limit? *Where is
> > > it specified?
>
> > > thanks
>
> > > Andy
>
> > I once asked this of *OLC, and was told they knew of no limit-this was
> > two years ago of so.
>
> Strange that the message
>
> "You have reached the download limitation for today!"
>
> would appear on my screen then.
>
> Andy

That is the type of message I received when mentioning the incident of
several years ago. I then emailed asking about it and was given the
answer that there was no limit.

Grider Pirate
March 23rd 11, 07:20 AM
On Mar 22, 6:54*am, Andy > wrote:
> Today I tried to download just 3 flight logs from OLC. I could not
> because OLC reported I had reached my download limit for the day.
>
> What is the download limit? *Why is there a download limit? *Where is
> it specified?
>
> thanks
>
> Andy

I just downloaded the top ten 'Best Flights' for region 11, I would
have downloaded more, but I did hit the 'download limit' when I tried
for the 11th.
JIm

Barny
March 23rd 11, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a good rule to prevent governments around the world from
wholesale downloading flights for review using s/w looking for
violations.

jcarlyle
March 23rd 11, 12:03 PM
Why would we care to protect someone stupid enough to upload their
flight which contains a violation? Darwin has a point, you know...

-John

On Mar 23, 6:34 am, Barny > wrote:
> Sounds like a good rule to prevent governments around the world from
> wholesale downloading flights for review using s/w looking for
> violations.

Mike the Strike
March 23rd 11, 02:28 PM
On Mar 23, 5:03*am, jcarlyle > wrote:
> Why would we care to protect someone stupid enough to upload their
> flight which contains a violation? Darwin has a point, you know...
>
> -John
>
> On Mar 23, 6:34 am, Barny > wrote:
>
> > Sounds like a good rule to prevent governments around the world from
> > wholesale downloading flights for review using s/w looking for
> > violations.

You can't deduce a violation of flight regulations just by looking at
an igc file. Many pilots, including me, have made flights into areas
that might be deemed illegal (for example above 18,000 feet or
normally closed military flight areas) quite legally with the express
permission of ATC. Even the "no flights after sunset" rule that we
argue about is a bit iffy. Sunset time is a variable that depends on
many factors that simple geometric formulae don't always correct for
and I know a couple of motorgliders and one self-launcher that are
equipped with lights and may fly after sunset quite legally. Some
pilots are now planning night wave flights.

The biggest violation that many of us make is proximity to clouds
(apart from those countries where cloud flying is legal). When the
position of clouds appears on igc files, I'll really start to worry!

Mike

Max Kellermann
March 23rd 11, 02:45 PM
Barny > wrote:
> Sounds like a good rule to prevent governments around the world from
> wholesale downloading flights for review using s/w looking for
> violations.

No, your idea is flawed. Everything you need for that is already
provided anonymously for OLC's JavaScript code.

The rule is purely egoistic. It shall preserve OLC's power and keep
others from doing independent flight analysis.

What we need is an open database for exchanging IGC files. That way,
anybody could do flight analysis (daily score, contests,
meteorological analysis, whatever).

Max

jcarlyle
March 23rd 11, 03:39 PM
Mike, you left out one important thing: a PIC knows when there is
something that could be wrongly interpreted about his flight. One
knows if they did go (or could have gone) above 18,000 feet, or went
into a normally closed area, or landed legally after a strict
geometric calculation of sunset time, etc., etc. And if one knows,
they'll either (1) not post the flight onto a public forum like OLC,
or (2) they'll add comments to the OLC posting. If (1), no problem. If
(2), then if some bozo rips the file off OLC and doesn't take the
comments, the PIC is still covered (although I can see it might be a
hassle for a bit).

My comment was directed at the idiot who knows he violated airspace
and/or flight rules and posts his flight anyway. Sort of a "hold my
beer and look at this" attitude.

-John

On Mar 23, 9:28 am, Mike the Strike > wrote:
> You can't deduce a violation of flight regulations just by looking at
> an igc file. Many pilots, including me, have made flights into areas
> that might be deemed illegal (for example above 18,000 feet or
> normally closed military flight areas) quite legally with the express
> permission of ATC. Even the "no flights after sunset" rule that we
> argue about is a bit iffy. Sunset time is a variable that depends on
> many factors that simple geometric formulae don't always correct for
> and I know a couple of motorgliders and one self-launcher that are
> equipped with lights and may fly after sunset quite legally. Some
> pilots are now planning night wave flights.

Andy[_1_]
March 23rd 11, 03:57 PM
On Mar 23, 7:45*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> Barny > wrote:
> > Sounds like a good rule to prevent governments around the world from
> > wholesale downloading flights for review using s/w looking for
> > violations.
>
> No, your idea is flawed. *Everything you need for that is already
> provided anonymously for OLC's JavaScript code.
>
> The rule is purely egoistic. *It shall preserve OLC's power and keep
> others from doing independent flight analysis.
>
> What we need is an open database for exchanging IGC files. *That way,
> anybody could do flight analysis (daily score, contests,
> meteorological analysis, whatever).
>
> Max

Regarless of the philosophy or justification for a download limit can
someone please see if they also see the problem I reported -

With Firefox, please select a flight, then select IGC download, then
save the file, then hit browser back button. I see the file
management screen again not the previous flight display page.
Attempting to get back past the file management screen uses up
downloads even though no file download was made.

Andy

Andy[_1_]
March 23rd 11, 04:52 PM
On Mar 23, 8:57*am, Andy > wrote:
> On Mar 23, 7:45*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
>

> > Barny > wrote:
> > > Sounds like a good rule to prevent governments around the world from
> > > wholesale downloading flights for review using s/w looking for
> > > violations.
>
> > No, your idea is flawed. *Everything you need for that is already
> > provided anonymously for OLC's JavaScript code.
>
> > The rule is purely egoistic. *It shall preserve OLC's power and keep
> > others from doing independent flight analysis.
>
> > What we need is an open database for exchanging IGC files. *That way,
> > anybody could do flight analysis (daily score, contests,
> > meteorological analysis, whatever).
>
> > Max
>
> Regarless of the philosophy or justification for a download limit can
> someone please see if they also see the problem I reported -
>
> With Firefox, please select a flight, then select IGC download, then
> save the file, then hit browser back button. *I see the file
> management screen again not the previous flight display page.
> Attempting to get back past the file management screen uses up
> downloads even though no file download was made.
>
> Andy- Hide quoted text -

The problem is not seen with IE 6.

Andy

Andy[_1_]
March 24th 11, 01:49 PM
On Mar 23, 9:52*am, Andy > wrote:
> On Mar 23, 8:57*am, Andy > wrote:

> > > No, your idea is flawed. *Everything you need for that is already
> > > provided anonymously for OLC's JavaScript code.
>
> > > The rule is purely egoistic. *It shall preserve OLC's power and keep
> > > others from doing independent flight analysis.
>
> > > What we need is an open database for exchanging IGC files. *That way,
> > > anybody could do flight analysis (daily score, contests,
> > > meteorological analysis, whatever).
>
> > > Max
>
> > Regarless of the philosophy or justification for a download limit can
> > someone please see if they also see the problem I reported -
>
> > With Firefox, please select a flight, then select IGC download, then
> > save the file, then hit browser back button. *I see the file
> > management screen again not the previous flight display page.
> > Attempting to get back past the file management screen uses up
> > downloads even though no file download was made.
>
> > Andy- Hide quoted text -

> The problem is not seen with IE 6.
>
> Andy

I think I found out why I see this problem and others say they don't.

It all works fine with Firefox if I log in before attempting to access
the first flight. If I don't log in, but wait until prompted to log in
when selecting IGC download, then the browser back function can't get
past the file management screen to select another flight.

Andy

Google