PDA

View Full Version : Returning to GA

TomC
April 17th 11, 01:05 AM
Hi All,

I'm an instrument rated PP who has not flown in over 10-years; I'm
ready to re-enter the boundless world.

I don't think I need a refresher on "lift vs. drag" and I'm sure I can
execute "turns about a point". But, the airspace designations have
changed, as well as many other things, I'm sure.

I need some opinions: Technically (other than my medical), I only need
a BFR; I'll need some dual-time to get that. Should I go back to basic
ground school to learn the new stuff, or will a CFI bring me current
while I'm getting my VFR chops back up?

IFR is not in the cards right now. I'll want to log VFR hours before
I even consider that.

Thanks for your opinions,

TomC

vaughn[_3_]
April 17th 11, 01:38 AM
"TomC" > wrote in message
>I only need a BFR; I'll need some dual-time to get that.

Agree

>Should I go back to basic ground school to learn the new stuff, or will a
CFI bring me current
> while I'm getting my VFR chops back up?

Buy yourself a new FAR-AIM, a current sectional and perhaps whatever Private
textbook catches your eye. Read the applicable parts of 61 and 91and then spend
some time in the AIM. Airspace is chapter 3. Don't forget to review your
airport signs & markings in Chapter 2, they are a big deal these days. Then
spend a bit of time reaquainting yourself with your local sectional. (Remember,
99% of your questions will be answered by the legend.) Having spent an evening
or three doing that, an hour or 2 of ground work with an instructor should get
you up to speed.

Go fly!

Vaughn

Google