PDA

View Full Version : Small outlanding help for Android

Johny
May 13th 11, 08:35 PM
How about sending an SMS to your crew with your GPS position after an outlanding? See Android Market, search for outlanding.

Ramy
May 14th 11, 02:18 AM
On May 13, 12:35*pm, Johny > wrote:
> How about sending an SMS to your crew with your GPS position after an outlanding? See Android Market, search for outlanding.

For iphone users, I found the free (if I recall correctly) app "SMS
GPS" very handy for sharing your location via SMS, Email or Facebook.
In all cases it sends a google map link, not like the Spot which from
some reason beyond me, only send google map link by email, not by SMS.
When I asked them, they claimed that "most people don't use smart
phones"... Right, people who use spot are not using smartphones...

Ramy

jcarlyle
May 14th 11, 03:04 PM
Ramy,

Thanks for the tip! I settled on GPS to SMS for $0.99. Does exactly
what SPOT does for $100 annually. Yes, I know SPOT uses satellites,
but so far I've not been out of cell contact here on the East Coast
whenever I land out, so this app is good enough for my purposes (and I
carry an EPIRB if things are desperate).

-John

On May 13, 9:18*pm, Ramy > wrote:
> For iphone users, I found the free (if I recall correctly) app "SMS
> GPS" very handy for sharing your location via SMS, Email or Facebook.
> In all cases it sends a google map link, not like the Spot which from
> some reason beyond me, only send google map link by email, not by SMS.
> When I asked them, they claimed that "most people don't use smart
> phones"... Right, people who use spot are not using smartphones...
>
> Ramy

Mario[_2_]
May 15th 11, 01:10 AM
On May 13, 6:18*pm, Ramy > wrote:
> On May 13, 12:35*pm, Johny > wrote:
>
> > How about sending an SMS to your crew with your GPS position after an outlanding? See Android Market, search for outlanding.
>
> For iphone users, I found the free (if I recall correctly) app "SMS
> GPS" very handy for sharing your location via SMS, Email or Facebook.
> In all cases it sends a google map link, not like the Spot which from
> some reason beyond me, only send google map link by email, not by SMS.
> When I asked them, they claimed that "most people don't use smart
> phones"... Right, people who use spot are not using smartphones...
>
> Ramy

Ramy,
Have you seen EmergenSee? E-mails and SMS messages are automatically
delivered to your contacts. How does it compare with "SMS GPS"?
It is free for a limited time only.
Mario
http://www.emergenseeapp.com/

smithcorp
May 15th 11, 11:32 PM
On May 14, 5:35*am, Johny > wrote:
> How about sending an SMS to your crew with your GPS position after an outlanding? See Android Market, search for outlanding.

Thanks for this tip - always interested in finding gliding apps for my
Android Tablet.

smith

Ramy
May 16th 11, 09:33 PM
On May 14, 5:10*pm, Mario > wrote:
> On May 13, 6:18*pm, Ramy > wrote:
>
> > On May 13, 12:35*pm, Johny > wrote:
>
> > > How about sending an SMS to your crew with your GPS position after an outlanding? See Android Market, search for outlanding.
>
> > For iphone users, I found the free (if I recall correctly) app "SMS
> > GPS" very handy for sharing your location via SMS, Email or Facebook.
> > In all cases it sends a google map link, not like the Spot which from
> > some reason beyond me, only send google map link by email, not by SMS.
> > When I asked them, they claimed that "most people don't use smart
> > phones"... Right, people who use spot are not using smartphones...
>
> > Ramy
>
> Ramy,
> Have you seen EmergenSee? *E-mails and SMS messages are automatically
> delivered to your contacts. How does it compare with "SMS GPS"?
> It is free for a limited time only.
> Mariohttp://www.emergenseeapp.com/

This sounds like a useful app as well. I would keep both though, since
for non emergency (e.g. landout) I wouldn't want to send an emergency
alert to all my emergency contacts, just an SMS message with my
coordinates to my crew (who may not necessarily be in my emergency
contact list). For this purpose, I think SMS GPS is better thanks to
it's simplicity. It is also useful for other non emergencies when you
try to meet/find someone, or want to update your location on your
facebook wall.

Ramy

Google