PDA

View Full Version : Removing a scratch from a canopy.

Sean Fidler
May 16th 11, 04:27 AM
Any suggestions or idea's?

Thanks.

Sean

Walt Connelly
May 16th 11, 09:26 AM
Any suggestions or idea's?

Thanks.

Sean

There was a video on Soaring Cafe recently about that very problem with a method to do so.

Walt

May 16th 11, 01:34 PM
On May 15, 11:27*pm, Sean Fidler > wrote:
> Any suggestions or idea's?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sean

Wings and Wheels has a restoration kit that has the stuff you are
likely to need to polish out.
If it is deeper, precede with fine grades of good quality sand paper,
followed by polishing steps. We use the
finest grade that will remove the scratch in a "reasonable" time, then
progressively finer. 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500,
then restoration kit seems to work. The finer you can start, the less
you have to do with following grits.
LOTS of water and clean off all residue before next step.
Good Luck
UH

150flivver
May 16th 11, 03:19 PM
On May 16, 7:34*am, wrote:
> On May 15, 11:27*pm, Sean Fidler > wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions or idea's?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> > Sean
>
> Wings and Wheels has a restoration kit that has the stuff you are
> likely to need to polish out.
> If it is deeper, precede with fine grades of good quality sand paper,
> followed by polishing steps. We use the
> finest grade that will remove the scratch in a "reasonable" time, then
> progressively finer. 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500,
> then restoration kit seems to work. The finer you can start, the less
> you have to do with following grits.
> LOTS of water and clean off all residue before next step.
> Good Luck
> UH

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/micromeshstd.php

mike
May 16th 11, 04:25 PM
On May 15, 9:27*pm, Sean Fidler > wrote:
> Any suggestions or idea's?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sean

Sean,

Good advice by UH, but be careful when you remove a deep scratch, as
it can cause an optical distortion when you create a slight depression
in the plexi surface.

Mike

jsbrake[_2_]
May 16th 11, 06:07 PM
EAA video on how to do it.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=665778628001

Paul Besing
May 17th 11, 06:33 AM
On May 15, 8:27*pm, Sean Fidler > wrote:
> Any suggestions or idea's?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sean

Get a kit called "Micromesh" it has the progressive sandpapers up to
6000 grit I think. Comes with sanding foam and a compound as well.
Aircraft Spruce has it .
Paul Besing

Google