PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Tailgate Latch

Randy[_2_]
May 18th 11, 10:31 PM
I put a lot of miles on my Cobra trailer every year going to
various soaring locations. The hole that the sliding latch
uses to secure the lower tailgate, it getting larger with every
mile on the road. I've thought about using a latch similar to
the latches used on my tail dolly, but I want to see what
other guys are doing.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Randy Teel
N304BU

http://talihinasoaring.com/

JJ Sinclair[_2_]
May 18th 11, 11:06 PM
On May 18, 2:31*pm, Randy > wrote:
> I put a lot of miles on my Cobra trailer every year going to
> various soaring locations. The hole that the sliding latch
> uses to secure the lower tailgate, it getting larger with every
> mile on the road. I've thought about using a latch similar to
> the latches used on my tail dolly, but I want to see what
> other guys are doing.
>
> Your suggestions are very much appreciated.
>
> Randy Teel
> N304BU
>
> http://talihinasoaring.com/

Drill the proper sized hole in a replacement peace of aluminum (or
steel) and then pop-rivet it over the big hole...............OR remove
the latch and pop-rivet it in place an inch or two lower, then drill a
new hole in the side member.
JJ

rec.aviation.soaring[_2_]
May 18th 11, 11:14 PM
On 18 mai, 18:06, JJ Sinclair > wrote:
> On May 18, 2:31*pm, Randy > wrote:
>
> > I put a lot of miles on my Cobra trailer every year going to
> > various soaring locations. The hole that the sliding latch
> > uses to secure the lower tailgate, it getting larger with every
> > mile on the road. I've thought about using a latch similar to
> > the latches used on my tail dolly, but I want to see what
> > other guys are doing.
>
> > Your suggestions are very much appreciated.
>
> > Randy Teel
> > N304BU
>
> >http://talihinasoaring.com/
>
> Drill the proper sized hole in a replacement peace of aluminum (or
> steel) and then pop-rivet it over the big hole...............OR remove
> the latch and pop-rivet it in place an inch or two lower, then drill a
> new hole in the side member.
> JJ

Hi
I used the steel plate method describe by JJ.
It work's
S6

Matt Herron Jr.
May 20th 11, 06:55 PM
On May 18, 3:14*pm, "rec.aviation.soaring" > wrote:
> On 18 mai, 18:06, JJ Sinclair > wrote:
>

> > On May 18, 2:31*pm, Randy > wrote:
>
> > > I put a lot of miles on my Cobra trailer every year going to
> > > various soaring locations. The hole that the sliding latch
> > > uses to secure the lower tailgate, it getting larger with every
> > > mile on the road. I've thought about using a latch similar to
> > > the latches used on my tail dolly, but I want to see what
> > > other guys are doing.
>
> > > Your suggestions are very much appreciated.
>
> > > Randy Teel
> > > N304BU
>
> > >http://talihinasoaring.com/
>
> > Drill the proper sized hole in a replacement peace of aluminum (or
> > steel) and then pop-rivet it over the big hole...............OR remove
> > the latch and pop-rivet it in place an inch or two lower, then drill a
> > new hole in the side member.
> > JJ
>
> Hi
> I *used the steel plate method describe by JJ.
> It work's
> S6

I used an aluminum plate over the hole and pop-riveted it into place.
I also replaced the retaining bolt and added a sleeve over the threads
where it goes into the hole. The threads make a very nice file as the
ramp shifts fore and aft while in motion. that's why the hole gets
bigger to begin with...

Matt

Google