PDA

View Full Version : May 21st

Reed von Gal
May 21st 11, 07:27 AM
Perfect day for soaring. Earthquakes, lava, etc, with a temp of 666
degrees Fahrenheit. Great day to attempt a Silver Distance! Anyone
want to do a density altitude calculation for me? KBDU field elevation
5288. Assume standard pressure. I'm worried I wont be able to take off!

Tony V
May 21st 11, 02:54 PM
On 5/21/2011 2:27 AM, Reed von Gal wrote:
> Perfect day for soaring. Earthquakes, lava, etc, with a temp of 666
> degrees Fahrenheit. Great day to attempt a Silver Distance! Anyone
> want to do a density altitude calculation for me? KBDU field elevation
> 5288. Assume standard pressure. I'm worried I wont be able to take off!

Good point. And, due to the heat, I would suggest a metal ship over
other materials.

Tony

Scott[_7_]
May 21st 11, 03:10 PM
On 5-21-2011 13:54, Tony V wrote:
> On 5/21/2011 2:27 AM, Reed von Gal wrote:
>> Perfect day for soaring. Earthquakes, lava, etc, with a temp of 666
>> degrees Fahrenheit. Great day to attempt a Silver Distance! Anyone
>> want to do a density altitude calculation for me? KBDU field elevation
>> 5288. Assume standard pressure. I'm worried I wont be able to take off!
>
> Good point. And, due to the heat, I would suggest a metal ship over
> other materials.
>
> Tony

As a relative newb, have there ever been all aluminum gliders built
(commercially)? I can't think of any aluminum-skinned wings out there...

Andy[_1_]
May 21st 11, 03:28 PM
On May 21, 7:10*am, Scott > wrote:
> On 5-21-2011 13:54, Tony V wrote:
>
> > On 5/21/2011 2:27 AM, Reed von Gal wrote:
> >> Perfect day for soaring. Earthquakes, lava, etc, with a temp of 666
> >> degrees Fahrenheit. Great day to attempt a Silver Distance! Anyone
> >> want to do a density altitude calculation for me? KBDU field elevation
> >> 5288. Assume standard pressure. I'm worried I wont be able to take off!
>
> > Good point. And, due to the heat, I would suggest a metal ship over
> > other materials.
>
> > Tony
>
> As a relative newb, have there ever been all aluminum gliders built
> (commercially)? *I can't think of any aluminum-skinned wings out there....

Aluminium alloy skinned wings: Far too many to list. What's
aluminum ;)

Andy

Marc Ramsey[_3_]
May 21st 11, 04:41 PM
At 14:28 21 May 2011, Andy wrote:
>On May 21, 7:10=A0am, Scott wrote:
>> As a relative newb, have there ever been all aluminum gliders built
>> (commercially)? =A0I can't think of any aluminum-skinned wings out
>there.=
>
>Aluminium alloy skinned wings: Far too many to list. What's
>aluminum ;)

Clearly 5/21 is having an influence on used glider sales, as 8 of the 15
gliders currently on page 1 of the Wings and Wheels classifieds have
partial or full aluminum wing skins, including the first four with
pictures...

Marc

Brad[_2_]
May 21st 11, 09:43 PM
On May 21, 8:41*am, Marc Ramsey >
wrote:
> At 14:28 21 May 2011, Andy wrote:
>
> >On May 21, 7:10=A0am, Scott *wrote:
> >> As a relative newb, have there ever been all aluminum gliders built
> >> (commercially)? =A0I can't think of any aluminum-skinned wings out
> >there.=
>
> >Aluminium alloy skinned wings: Far too many to list. *What's
> >aluminum ;)
>
> Clearly 5/21 is having an influence on used glider sales, as 8 of the 15
> gliders currently on page 1 of the Wings and Wheels classifieds have
> partial or full aluminum wing skins, including the first four with
> pictures...
>
> Marc

I like the one with red wings and flames on the fuselage
myself..............:)

Brad

Wayne Paul
May 22nd 11, 12:08 AM
"Scott" > wrote in message
.. .

> As a relative newb, have there ever been all aluminum gliders built
> (commercially)? I can't think of any aluminum-skinned wings out there...

Scott,
Commercial produced kits most likely don't meet your definition of
"commercially built"; however, Dick Schreder produced 477 kits starting in
the early 1960s. (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder) They were competitive
with other competition birds in their day. (I still fly one...
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F)
Wayne

Scott[_7_]
May 22nd 11, 02:32 AM
On 5-21-2011 23:08, Wayne Paul wrote:
> > wrote in message
> .. .
>>>

>> As a relative newb, have there ever been all aluminum gliders built
>> (commercially)? I can't think of any aluminum-skinned wings out there...
>
> Scott,
> Commercial produced kits most likely don't meet your definition of
> "commercially built"; however, Dick Schreder produced 477 kits starting in
> the early 1960s. (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder) They were competitive
> with other competition birds in their day. (I still fly one...
> http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F)
> Wayne

Cool! In my limited time with gliders, I just don't recall seeing any
with metal wings...mostly glass or wood/fabric. Are the 2-33s metal
winged? I flew one once, but don't recall the wings....

Scott

Nyal Williams[_2_]
May 22nd 11, 02:58 AM
the wings are metal

At 01:32 22 May 2011, Scott wrote:
>On 5-21-2011 23:08, Wayne Paul wrote:
>> "Scott" wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>>

>>> As a relative newb, have there ever been all aluminum gliders built
>>> (commercially)? I can't think of any aluminum-skinned wings out
>there...
>>
>> Scott,
>> Commercial produced kits most likely don't meet your definition of
>> "commercially built"; however, Dick Schreder produced 477 kits
starting
>in
>> the early 1960s. (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder) They were
>competitive
>> with other competition birds in their day. (I still fly one...
>> http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F)
>> Wayne
>>

>Cool! In my limited time with gliders, I just don't recall seeing any
>with metal wings...mostly glass or wood/fabric. Are the 2-33s metal
>winged? I flew one once, but don't recall the wings....
>
>Scott

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
May 22nd 11, 05:59 AM
On 5/21/2011 6:54 AM, Tony V wrote:
> On 5/21/2011 2:27 AM, Reed von Gal wrote:
>> Perfect day for soaring. Earthquakes, lava, etc, with a temp of 666
>> degrees Fahrenheit. Great day to attempt a Silver Distance! Anyone
>> want to do a density altitude calculation for me? KBDU field elevation
>> 5288. Assume standard pressure. I'm worried I wont be able to take off!
>
> Good point. And, due to the heat, I would suggest a metal ship over
> other materials.

Time to get all those Blanik L13's back in the air!

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Google