PDA

View Full Version : OLC flight error checking?

Andy[_1_]
June 7th 11, 05:04 AM
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=1875776

I wonder how this "flight" could have got through even the most basic
reasonableness check. I assume there is none.

Andy

Max Kellermann
June 7th 11, 11:14 AM
Andy > wrote:
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=1875776
>
> I wonder how this "flight" could have got through even the most basic
> reasonableness check. I assume there is none.

The OLC web site checks just the mathematical correctness of the G
record, but afaik it does not do any plausibility checks. That would
be quite error prone und unreliable, probably too annoying and not
worth it.

This flight however looks interesting. It was supposedly recorded
with a Colibri. He has another suspicious flight:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=1022483629

I wonder how the "pilot" managed to do this. Can this possibly be a
GPS reception problem or hardware/software bug, or did he fake the G
record on a made-up IGC file?

Faking G records should be reasonably easy to do. When vendors keep
their cryptographic specifications secret, it always smells a lot like
snake oil. My rough guess is that no certified IGC logger would
withstand a real cryptanalysis.

Max

mpcehand
June 7th 11, 12:37 PM
On Jun 7, 12:04*am, Andy > wrote:
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=187....
>
> I wonder how this "flight" could have got through even the most basic
> reasonableness check. *I assume there is none.
>
> Andy

The pilot that made the flight knows about the mistake. No one is
trying to fake anything. OLC has been contacted.
Not everyone is trying to be a cheat.
When the flight was downloaded fromthe FR that is the way it came out.

Michael

mpcehand
June 7th 11, 12:40 PM
On Jun 7, 6:14*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> Andy > wrote:
> >http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=187....
>
> > I wonder how this "flight" could have got through even the most basic
> > reasonableness check. *I assume there is none.
>
> The OLC web site checks just the mathematical correctness of the G
> record, but afaik it does not do any plausibility checks. *That would
> be quite error prone und unreliable, probably too annoying and not
> worth it.
>
> This flight however looks interesting. *It was supposedly recorded
> with a Colibri. *He has another suspicious flight:
>
> *http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId....
>
> I wonder how the "pilot" managed to do this. *Can this possibly be a
> GPS reception problem or hardware/software bug, or did he fake the G
> record on a made-up IGC file?
>
> Faking G records should be reasonably easy to do. *When vendors keep
> their cryptographic specifications secret, it always smells a lot like
> snake oil. *My rough guess is that no certified IGC logger would
> withstand a real cryptanalysis.
>
> Max

Max Please explain

He has another suspicious flight:

Michael

Max Kellermann
June 7th 11, 12:53 PM
mpcehand > wrote:
> Max Please explain
>
> He has another suspicious flight:

At timestamp 20:25:11, he has a ground speed of 362 kph. This one
looks very much like an unintended logger problem.

mpcehand
June 7th 11, 01:09 PM
On Jun 7, 7:53*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> mpcehand > wrote:
> > Max Please explain
>
> > *He has another suspicious flight:
>
> At timestamp 20:25:11, he has a ground speed of 362 kph. *This one
> looks very much like an unintended logger problem.

I am sure that the logger is the problem.. It is being sent to Remde
for a check up. Once the flight is downloaded I am not sure how to
change what is put on OLC
The pilot of that flight is an honest person. It seem sad to me that
someone would think that they are trying to cheat with out having all
the facts. Once that label has been suggested on this forum it takes
on a life of its own. The pilot that made the flight says that the
altitude trace is accurate but that the map view of the flight is not
and has contacted several people asking for help to fix this problem.
OLC included.
Respectfully,

Michael

Tony[_5_]
June 7th 11, 01:17 PM
On Jun 7, 7:09*am, mpcehand > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 7:53*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
>
> > mpcehand > wrote:
> > > Max Please explain
>
> > > *He has another suspicious flight:
>
> > At timestamp 20:25:11, he has a ground speed of 362 kph. *This one
> > looks very much like an unintended logger problem.
>
> I am sure that the logger is the problem.. It is being sent to Remde
> for a check up. Once the flight is downloaded I am not sure how to
> change what is put on OLC
> The pilot of that flight is an honest person. *It seem sad to me that
> someone would think that they are trying to cheat with out having all
> the facts. Once that label has been suggested on this forum it takes
> on a life of its own. The pilot that made the flight says that the
> altitude trace is accurate but that the map view of the flight is not
> and has contacted several people asking for help to fix this problem.
> OLC included.
> Respectfully,
>
> Michael

was he in the area affected by lightsquared testing during these
flights?

Andy[_1_]
June 7th 11, 01:44 PM
On Jun 7, 4:37*am, mpcehand > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 12:04*am, Andy > wrote:
>
> >http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=187....
>
> > I wonder how this "flight" could have got through even the most basic
> > reasonableness check. *I assume there is none.
>
> > Andy
>
> The pilot that made the flight knows about the mistake. *No *one is
> trying to fake anything. *OLC has been contacted.
> Not everyone is trying to be a cheat.
> When the flight was downloaded fromthe FR that is the way it came out.
>
> Michael

My OP was about OLC reasonableness checks. It was certainly not my
intention to suggest there was any falsification. I have known the
pilot for years. Although an experienced airplane pilot he has only
recently taken up soaring, I was interested in looking at his log as
it seemed like a long flight for someone with his experience level.

Andy

TS1[_2_]
June 7th 11, 02:54 PM
This very much looks like a heat related problem I have experienced
before with the EW Microrecorder.

Tony
TS1

mpcehand
June 7th 11, 04:17 PM
On Jun 7, 6:54*am, TS1 > wrote:
> This very much looks like a heat related problem I have experienced
> before with the EW Microrecorder.
>
> Tony
> TS1

Tony,
Thank you!! Come home.

Michael

Max Kellermann
June 8th 11, 06:47 AM
mpcehand > wrote:
> It seem sad to me that someone would think that they are trying to
> cheat with out having all the facts.

Playing thought police? (Note: I did not accuse the pilot of
anything)

Ron
June 8th 11, 04:33 PM
On Jun 7, 10:47*pm, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> mpcehand > wrote:
> > It seem sad to me that someone would think that they are trying to
> > cheat with out having all the facts.
>
> Playing thought police? *(Note: I did not accuse the pilot of
> anything)

OK peace on earth and in the Sky..... As a TuSC club pilot I will
have a class and or demonstrate to those who ask for help on how to
edit an OLC for "strange" flight results.

Andy, thanks for spotting this, Michael we love you and thanks to all
for participating in this incredible sport.
OLC is usually helpful when and where they can. I am sure they will
accept any and all donations to support them.
Personally I love viewing flights from around the world, as well as my
friends and competitors.

Ron

mpcehand
June 9th 11, 12:20 AM
On Jun 8, 11:33*am, Ron > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 10:47*pm, Max Kellermann > wrote:
>
> > mpcehand > wrote:
> > > It seem sad to me that someone would think that they are trying to
> > > cheat with out having all the facts.
>
> > Playing thought police? *(Note: I did not accuse the pilot of
> > anything)
>
> OK peace on earth and in the Sky..... *As a TuSC club pilot I will
> have a class and or demonstrate to those who ask for help on *how to
> edit an OLC for "strange" flight results.
>
> Andy, thanks for spotting this, Michael we love you and thanks to all
> for participating in this incredible sport.
> OLC is usually helpful when and where they can. *I am sure they will
> accept any and all donations to support them.
> Personally I love viewing flights from around the world, as well as my
> friends and competitors.
>
> Ron

Ron, Thank you for your help. I have contacted the pilot that did
the flight and requested he delete the flight.

Respectfully,

Michael

Google