PDA

View Full Version : Lumbar support ideas?

noel.wade
June 16th 11, 06:51 PM
All -

For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). I'm beginning
to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
(DG-300). Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... Its
getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
33)!

So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
base of my spine. I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
shape.

Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). Tips or ideas would
be greatly appreciated!

--Noel

Grider Pirate
June 16th 11, 06:55 PM
On Jun 16, 10:51*am, "noel.wade" > wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). *I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). *Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... *Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. *I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). *Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

Several have used relatively low-cost blood pressure cuffs. Adjustable
in flight!

stephanevdv
June 16th 11, 07:27 PM
How about trying a back protector as used by skiers, snowboarders,
motorbikers?

June 16th 11, 08:23 PM
On Jun 16, 1:51*pm, "noel.wade" > wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). *I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). *Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... *Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. *I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). *Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

When you are flying, likely you feel some strain if the seating is the
issue.
I use a pad made from conforfoam that is about 1 inch thick and 6
inches "tall" witha second layer about 3 inches tall.
I position it right in the lumbar area of my back between my back and
the chute. It gives good support bt won't collapse in a hard impact. A
simple cover and some Velcro can make it more convenient.
I can get in the glider with a slightly sore back and feel better when
I get out 3 or 4 hours later.
You might want to experiment with a simple pad made from a rolled up
towel to get a sense of what size and shape you need.
Good Luck
UH

Paul Remde
June 16th 11, 09:35 PM
Hi,

I agree with the suggestion below about CONFOR foam and a cushion for lower
back support. One cool thing about it is that you can cut it with a sharp
knife or even scissors and you can shape it with sanding paper (especially
when it is cold and hard) - so you can make a nice, smooth cushion of
varying thickness.

I sell it in several sizes and hardnesses here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/e-a-r.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

> wrote in message
On Jun 16, 1:51 pm, "noel.wade" > wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

When you are flying, likely you feel some strain if the seating is the
issue.
I use a pad made from conforfoam that is about 1 inch thick and 6
inches "tall" witha second layer about 3 inches tall.
I position it right in the lumbar area of my back between my back and
the chute. It gives good support bt won't collapse in a hard impact. A
simple cover and some Velcro can make it more convenient.
I can get in the glider with a slightly sore back and feel better when
I get out 3 or 4 hours later.
You might want to experiment with a simple pad made from a rolled up
towel to get a sense of what size and shape you need.
Good Luck
UH

Mark Jardini
June 16th 11, 09:37 PM
you can find memory foam lumbar supports directed at office workers on
line at reasonable prices.

I have a similar to DG cockpit, (Apis), and that settled all my back
issues for long flights.

mj

sisu1a
June 17th 11, 12:34 AM
> I agree with the suggestion below about CONFOR foam and a cushion for lower
> back support. *One cool thing about it is that you can cut it with a sharp
> knife or even scissors and you can shape it with sanding paper (especially
> when it is cold and hard) - so you can make a nice, smooth cushion of
> varying thickness.

The weapon of choice for foam sculpting is an electric kitchen knife,
usually available for less than a buck at your local thrift shop...

-p

ContestID67[_2_]
June 17th 11, 02:03 AM
I also have back issues from time to time. For me they are triggered
during rigging. I need a self rigger I guess.

I assume you wear a parachute. The trick is to get some lumbar
support between the chute and you. It doesn't do much good between
the chute and the glider.

After buying a used Strong parachute model 305, I sent it to the
factory for an inspection and repack. During that work, Strong
retrofitted a lumbar support cushion into my parachute harness. Very
nice and has made flying much more comfortable. I don't know if this
is available separately nor if it will help you. The support is
mentioned on this page but I don't see any details.
http://www.strongparachutes.com/pages/pc_305_Airplane.php.

Basically, the Strong item looks very much like this =>
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/seat-cushions-and-lumbar-support/autosport-memory-foam-lumbar-support-cushion.cfm.
$30 with memory foam. You may want to try an auto parts store or
Walmart to find something like this and see if that helps. The Strong
item has a strap meant to hold it in place on the chute which you
might have to retrofit.

Good luck.

- John DeRosa

Tom Nau
June 17th 11, 02:24 PM
If you have a good rigger, he can pack your 'chute to give you the
proper lumbar support. Mine does it for me.

Tom

Juanman
June 17th 11, 02:28 PM
I fly with an inflatable back cushion. What's nice about it is that
you can inflate it to different sizes and thus vary the pressure on
your lower back. I do have to remember when getting into the cockpit
to have the bulb handy and not underneath...

Juan

On Jun 16, 9:03*pm, ContestID67 > wrote:
> I also have back issues from time to time. *For me they are triggered
> during rigging. *I need a self rigger I guess.
>
> I assume you wear a parachute. *The trick is to get some lumbar
> support between the chute and you. *It doesn't do much good between
> the chute and the glider.
>
> After buying a used Strong parachute model 305, I sent it to the
> factory for an inspection and repack. *During that work, Strong
> retrofitted a lumbar support cushion into my parachute harness. *Very
> nice and has made flying much more comfortable. *I don't know if this
> is available separately nor if it will help you. *The support is
> mentioned on this page but I don't see any details.http://www.strongparachutes.com/pages/pc_305_Airplane.php.
>
> Basically, the Strong item looks very much like this =>http://www.autosportcatalog.com/seat-cushions-and-lumbar-support/auto....
> $30 with memory foam. * *You may want to try an auto parts store or
> Walmart to find something like this and see if that helps. *The Strong
> item has a strap meant to hold it in place on the chute which you
> might have to retrofit.
>
> Good luck.
>
> - John DeRosa

PK
June 17th 11, 03:27 PM
On Jun 16, 10:51*am, "noel.wade" > wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). *I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). *Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... *Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. *I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). *Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

Like the other comments before, I had the parachute rigger install
memory foam betwen the chute and my back and is attached to the
harness. I also use the same under my butt and knees. Took a long time
to tweek but finally there. I too fly a DG300. PeterK

Andy[_1_]
June 17th 11, 06:00 PM
>I assume you wear a parachute. The trick is to get some lumbar
>support between the chute and you. It doesn't do much good between
>the chute and the glider.

I've tried the support between my back and the chute in my 19 but now
use a small rolled towel between the chute and the seat back in my
28.

In my experience between the chute and the glider is very effective.
The best solution for me would be to make a fixed modification to the
seat back.

Andy

Don Johnstone[_4_]
June 17th 11, 08:33 PM
I have an Irving (GQ) parachute and one of the optional extras with the
chute is an inflatable lumbar pad which fits onto velcro strips on the
parachute back. The beauty of the system is that you can fit the pad in
exactly the right place and it won't move or get dislodged. It is
inflated using the squeeze bulb used on blood pressure monitors. Works a
treat.
I had an injury many years back to the lumbar 4/5 joint which causes pain
to the sciatic nerve. I have discovered over the years that the worst
thing you can do is keep still. The only thing I won't do while the pain
is severe is fly.

hretting
June 18th 11, 02:09 AM
After a few hours, my lumbar would be killing me. I use a 1" memory
foam (firm) between back and parachute but needed something more
beneath the lumbar area.
Just before my 9 hr. flight to GA, I forgot to rig something and had
the wife shove my canopy cover into a small sack and place behind my
lumbar before clipping into my parachute.
At first it seemed a little overboard but as it compress within 30
mins of flying, I had the most comfortable flight ever and not a pain
in the 9 hrs. That was in 08 and cover still gets shoved there
everytime I fly and still works.
That said, experiment and allow for compression into the comfort zone.
One thing to consider.....what will happen in a accident I have no
clue and I could be risking additional injury. I just don't know. I
fly for hours with no pain, that I know.

November Bravo
June 18th 11, 07:46 AM
On Jun 16, 1:51*pm, "noel.wade" > wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). *I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). *Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... *Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. *I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). *Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

Having a U shaped spine will definitely give you more trouble. Try
this lumbar support:
http://www.amazon.com/LumbAir-Inflatable-Support-Pillow-Cushion/dp/B000Y4YTXG/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_1.
Place it between your back and the inside of your parachute before
final body adjustments in the cockpit before you buckle up the
restraining belts. With the inflation bulb, change the pressure in
the lumbar support during flight to prevent "setting in of your
muscles" and resulting spasm of the paralumbar muscles. Good luck.
John Iacobucci MD

Darryl Ramm
June 18th 11, 04:58 PM
On Jun 17, 11:46*pm, November Bravo > wrote:
> On Jun 16, 1:51*pm, "noel.wade" > wrote:
>

> > All -
>
> > For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> > early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). *I'm beginning
> > to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> > rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> > (DG-300). *Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> > but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> > long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... *Its
> > getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> > 33)!
>
> > So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> > I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> > base of my spine. *I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> > thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> > shape.
>
> > Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> > As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> > back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). *Tips or ideas would
> > be greatly appreciated!
>
> > --Noel
>
> Having a U shaped spine will definitely give you more trouble. *Try
> this lumbar support:http://www.amazon.com/LumbAir-Inflatable-Support-Pillow-Cushion/dp/B0....
> Place it between your back and the inside of your parachute before
> final body adjustments in the cockpit before you buckle up the
> restraining belts. *With the inflation bulb, change the pressure in
> the lumbar support during flight to prevent "setting in of your
> muscles" and resulting spasm of the paralumbar muscles. *Good luck.
> John Iacobucci MD

Noel

I have a bad back, also can easily injure it rigging etc, spasms,
tingling fingers and arms, etc. I used to fly a DG-303 and found it
very comfortable in the cockpit with a long-softie parachute with a
sheepskin parachute liner pad and a lumbar inflater that looks
identical to the one that John shows. It worked fantastic. Check with
Allen Silver as well at Silver Parachute about customizing backpads
and lumbar supports etc. He helped me set up mine (and added in some
pockets in the sheepskin liner etc.).

Darryl

Karen
June 20th 11, 05:17 PM
Noel,

I keep waiting for someone to suggest "ice", so here is $.02 worth
from someone who shattered his spine in three places four years ago in
a gliding mishap from a release failure.

I fly with a chute for acro and rides sometimes six days a week. G
forces and the awkward posture present swelling and pinched nerves on
a daily basis. I too refuse to fly on meds or just not fly.

My thoughtful physical therapist pointed out not only negative
pressure and support but something softer than the chute and "COLD" to
shrink the discs. They supplied a gel pak which I freeze before a day
of flying in 100F heat. Placed correctly, it does provide added
protection and support and grows softer as it warms (about 5 hrs).

It is so majic, I incorporated it into two different (camera and
fishing) vests which my wife sewed large pockects into. Once you get
past the razzing from the neysayers on the field about "where's your
bass lures". Fits nicely between the backpack or by itself and also
can be shifted around to where the most cronic pain is. 52 months-
still flying.

Michael

SF
June 26th 11, 02:13 PM
On Jun 16, 1:51*pm, "noel.wade" > wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). *I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). *Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... *Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. *I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). *Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

Noel

I had a similar problem. I put a sheepskin pad between me and the
chute. On the back of the sheepskin pad I put a lumbar support
cushion form relax the back, on the back of that I put an inflatable
lumbar support cushion from Aircraft Spruce. I spent a lot of time
moving the cushion and the inflatable support around until I found the
right spot. The other thing I did was go to a trainer at the gym and
have him "modernize" my workout. Which now includes a bunch of crazy
stuff; balancing on balls, and one foot, along with all the back and
stomach exercises I have avoided for years. I slept on ice packs for
the first month and grew concerned about the possibility of developing
ibuprofen addiction, but after I got used to it, most of my back
problems went away.

SF

November 16th 16, 09:30 PM
In addition to Energy Absorbing Foam (EAF) cushions in gliders, supporting 'spine shells' have been suggested to provide better lower-back protection at the base of parachutes, and better overall cockpit comfort. Some articles indicate that many slightly bumpy landings may cause cumulative back damage rivaling that of one hard landing. I've discovered that spine shells are sold for motorbike riders and other sports. Some look like they would be very suitable for a glider. There are many types available, easily found by Google, look for 'back protectors' or 'motorcycle armor' etc, or start with the first reference listed below. Has anyone tried using one of these commercial spine shells in a glider?

some references to spine shells and EAF cushions are:
http://roadridermca.com/newsevents/guide-to-back-protectors-and-replacement-armor/
https://www.sunmatecushions.com/collections/laminar-orthopedic-cushions
Sailplane and Gliding Dec 2002-Jan 2003 issue, page 28
Sailplane and Gliding Oct-Nov 2012 issue, page 18
"Why you should fly with an energy absorbing safety cushion" BGA Safety Brochure

Jonathan St. Cloud
November 16th 16, 10:45 PM
My comfort while flying increased dramatically once I got a Butler Parachute, with both inflatable lumbar support and what they call a crash cushion, a triangular piece of temper foam at the base of the back pad, it fills the area at the bottom of the chute and one's butt. I have had four different chutes during my gliding career and this is the first time I had a cute that fit with me and any glider I fly.

I have no financial interest in Butler Parachutes.

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 10:51:33 AM UTC-7, noel.wade wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

Casey[_2_]
November 17th 16, 01:20 PM
On Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 1:51:33 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

Noel,

I know a fellow that use to ride bicycles a lot and now has to sit on a cushion. The type of foam you are sitting on may not be correct for you. I have only minor back issues but I'm short and instead of using some kind of seat foam that may compress too much I read up on the Confor Foam and opted for 3 pieces of 1" each of the hard, medium and soft. I glued them together and trimmed to fit in the seat pan nicely. I then trimmed a raw cut piece of lambs wool to cover the foam and the entire pan seating area. It is great. No part of of my body hurts nor goes to sleep nor do I have any aches or stiffness after getting out of the glider. I had a job where I sat in an office chair for 25 yrs. The last 5 I had to use a mesh bottom and back ergonomic. And now I can not sit more than a few minutes in a regular chair. So, the type of foam you use may not be right for you.

Casey

Craig Funston
November 17th 16, 05:45 PM
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 5:20:53 AM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 1:51:33 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
> > All -
> >
> > For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> > early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). I'm beginning
> > to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> > rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> > (DG-300). Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> > but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> > long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... Its
> > getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> > 33)!
> >
> > So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> > I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> > base of my spine. I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> > thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> > shape.
> >
> > Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> > As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> > back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). Tips or ideas would
> > be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > --Noel
>
> Noel,
>
> I know a fellow that use to ride bicycles a lot and now has to sit on a cushion. The type of foam you are sitting on may not be correct for you. I have only minor back issues but I'm short and instead of using some kind of seat foam that may compress too much I read up on the Confor Foam and opted for 3 pieces of 1" each of the hard, medium and soft. I glued them together and trimmed to fit in the seat pan nicely. I then trimmed a raw cut piece of lambs wool to cover the foam and the entire pan seating area. It is great. No part of of my body hurts nor goes to sleep nor do I have any aches or stiffness after getting out of the glider. I had a job where I sat in an office chair for 25 yrs. The last 5 I had to use a mesh bottom and back ergonomic. And now I can not sit more than a few minutes in a regular chair. So, the type of foam you use may not be right for you.
>
> Casey

Noel's original post was from 2011. He's since fixed the problem by buying an ASG-29 ;-)

Cheers,
Craig

SF
November 18th 16, 02:59 PM
Noel
This is what I did. I bought a sheep skin pad for my National 425 that goes between my back and the chute. I using adhesive velcro tape, I velcroed' a small lumbar support cushion to the back of the chute container, and velcroed' an inflatable lumbar support bladder to the back of the sheepskin. The lumbar support bladder has a hose that runs up the shoulder strap and ends with a squeeze bulb similar to a blood pressure cuff. Usually the lumbar support cushion is enough, on long flights, a little inflation on the bladder makes life good again.

Example of a inflatable lumbar support
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/inseluinairc.html

Example of a small lumbar support cushion
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tempur-pedic-reg-lumbar-support-pillow-for-travel/1014256946

Sheepskin for parachute
http://wingsandwheels.com/parachute/national/national-parachute-options/detachable-sheepskin-pad.html

SF

Dan Marotta
November 18th 16, 04:09 PM
I bought an inflatable lumbar support cushion from an ad in Soaring
magazine almost 30 years ago. It still performs and I still love it.

--
Dan, 5J

November 19th 16, 01:12 AM
There are probably two different issues: cockpit comfort and crash protection (for the spine). Inflatable cushions no doubt provide comfort, but my guess is that they provide nothing towards crash protection. EAF cushions probably provide both, but can be awkward to get right. A motorbike back-protector should make an excellent shell to slip between my back and my chute, and provide a mount to glue some EAF where the cockpit contour makes a void under my back.

November 19th 16, 02:46 AM
Motorcycle back protectors provide little to no protection in the vertical axis when sitting. And may move crash injuries further up the spine.

November 19th 16, 10:21 PM
Sorry if this has been suggested already but have you tried a cylindrical lumber support custion which can be placed below you parachute.

https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/therapeutic-aids/seating-and-positioning-aids/original-mckenzie-d-shaped-lumbar-roll-view-large?gclid=CjwKEAiAjcDBBRCJxouz9fWHynwSJADaJg9BRF __djmFkly6pSRhZboNwKsg6fpTi18WMNSeEF03nxoC373w_wcB

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
November 23rd 16, 03:06 AM
Craig Funston wrote on 11/17/2016 9:45 AM:

>>> --Noel
>>
>> Noel,
>>
>> I know a fellow that use to ride bicycles a lot and now has to sit
>> on a cushion. The type of foam you are sitting on may not be
>> correct for you. I have only minor back issues but I'm short and
>> instead of using some kind of seat foam that may compress too much
>> I read up on the Confor Foam and opted for 3 pieces of 1" each of
>> the hard, medium and soft. I glued them together and trimmed to
>> fit in the seat pan nicely. I then trimmed a raw cut piece of
>> lambs wool to cover the foam and the entire pan seating area. It
>> is great. No part of of my body hurts nor goes to sleep nor do I
>> have any aches or stiffness after getting out of the glider. I had
>> a job where I sat in an office chair for 25 yrs. The last 5 I had
>> to use a mesh bottom and back ergonomic. And now I can not sit
>> more than a few minutes in a regular chair. So, the type of foam
>> you use may not be right for you.
>>
>> Casey
>
> Noel's original post was from 2011. He's since fixed the problem by
> buying an ASG-29 ;-)
>
> Cheers, Craig

Too bad - the foam would've been much cheaper!

email me)

https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1

http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/Guide-to-transponders-in-sailplanes-2014A.pdf

November 30th 16, 01:35 AM
On Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 1:51:33 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
> All -
>
> For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
> early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). I'm beginning
> to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
> rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
> (DG-300). Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
> but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
> long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... Its
> getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
> 33)!
>
> So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
> I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
> base of my spine. I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
> thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
> shape.
>
> Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
> As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
> back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). Tips or ideas would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> --Noel

Noel,

You can try using a small round neck pillow between your back and parachute, but what I have found to work best for me is a folded up bath towel or hand towel, depending on your desired thickness. With the Bath towel (between your back and parachute) you can put it up your back (sweat collector) and then roll a small portion as lumbar support for your lower back.

6PK
November 30th 16, 01:46 AM
On Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 4:34:02 PM UTC-7, sisu1a wrote:
> > I agree with the suggestion below about CONFOR foam and a cushion for lower
> > back support. Â*One cool thing about it is that you can cut it with a sharp
> > knife or even scissors and you can shape it with sanding paper (especially
> > when it is cold and hard) - so you can make a nice, smooth cushion of
> > varying thickness.
>
> The weapon of choice for foam sculpting is an electric kitchen knife,
> usually available for less than a buck at your local thrift shop...
>
> -p

or a soldering iron....

Andrzej Kobus
November 30th 16, 02:13 AM
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 9:59:52 AM UTC-5, SF wrote:
> Noel
> This is what I did. I bought a sheep skin pad for my National 425 that goes between my back and the chute. I using adhesive velcro tape, I velcroed' a small lumbar support cushion to the back of the chute container, and velcroed' an inflatable lumbar support bladder to the back of the sheepskin. The lumbar support bladder has a hose that runs up the shoulder strap and ends with a squeeze bulb similar to a blood pressure cuff. Usually the lumbar support cushion is enough, on long flights, a little inflation on the bladder makes life good again.
>
> Example of a inflatable lumbar support
> http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/inseluinairc.html
>
> Example of a small lumbar support cushion
> https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tempur-pedic-reg-lumbar-support-pillow-for-travel/1014256946
>
> Sheepskin for parachute
> http://wingsandwheels.com/parachute/national/national-parachute-options/detachable-sheepskin-pad.html
>

> SF

I would be really careful with inflatable support. In case of an accident you might end up with a big problem. The inflatable will not support the spine. Crush foam is a much better solution.

bumper[_4_]
November 30th 16, 08:31 AM
I use a one inch thick piece of Confor (Memory foam) in green, extra firm. Cut top and bottom edge at 45* and slip it between the sheepskin liner and pack. Very comfortable.

bumper

BruceGreeff
November 30th 16, 10:52 AM
And it lasts for years...

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771

November 30th 16, 04:00 PM
I am am medical person.
I bought a pump-up blood pressure cuff.
You can take the bladder out but I found the fabric cover to provide some stability to the positioning of the bladder. The beauty is that you can pump it up or bleed it down when you want/need.

Google