PDA

View Full Version : Re: Vario choice: LX1606 or Borgelt B500?

Ben C
July 13th 11, 07:41 AM
Thanks for your input Max. I am concerned by some issues pilots here have had with Cambridge 302 failures. I am keen to support Borgelt (as a local product) if the vario will do what I need. I have heard a lot of positive feedback on his vario performance and product support. On the other hand, the LX1606 looks like a great instrument and quite minimalist though LX don't seem to have a strong presence here in Oz.

Regards, Ben

Max Kellermann
July 13th 11, 07:58 AM
Ben C > wrote:
> I am concerned by some issues pilots here have had with Cambridge 302 failures.

You mean the buffer rollover bug? That hit me once. Since then I
know I have to clear its memory once a year. I knew before, but
dismissed it for no good reason.

This can be an annoying bug, and usually that would be unacceptable -
but the openness of the CAI302 protocol outweighs that for me. And
it's extremely easy to work around.

Luckily, the times when hardware vendors would only discuss their
protocols with commercial software vendors behind closed curtains are
over. Our (not-so-small) volunteer project is being taken seriously
by many vendors now, and some even donate test hardware (namely IMI,
Triadis, EW). However the perfection of Cambridge's documentation is
still unmatched.

If you want to help, talk to vendors and make them aware that users
like you want to buy "open hardware" that is well-supported by our
"open software".

Max

Google