PDA

View Full Version : Loading flight data to iPhone from serial port devices

Craig Funston
July 22nd 11, 09:15 PM
I just got a note that there's a serial to iOS cable approved by
Apple. Any programmers out there interested in writing an app to get
data from a Cambridge 302 to an iPhone? I'd love not to have to drag
my laptop out to the glider.

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSRP01&Click=85531&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Maker+Shed+Jul+21+2011&utm_content=Maker+Shed+Jul+21+2011+CID_5d19bd49d4c 9737785f05cd1d70cd693&utm_source=Email+Campaign&utm_term=cable

Thanks,
Craig

Bruce Hoult
July 23rd 11, 02:55 AM
On Jul 23, 8:15*am, Craig Funston >
wrote:
> I just got a note that there's a serial to iOS cable approved by
> Apple. *Any programmers out there interested in writing an app to get
> data from a Cambridge 302 to an iPhone? *I'd love not to have to drag
> my laptop out to the glider.
>
> http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSRP01&Click=....

Yes, I saw that a few days or a week ago. Looks great.

You realize that while you can write a program that uses it yourself,
you can't put it in the AppStore?

So you're limited to each user buying the iOS SDK (US$99/year) and
compiling the source code themselves (or at least codesigning a
precompiled library), or else running on a jailbroken iPhone.

Have Cambridge released the specifications to allow 3rd party software
to extract flight logs?

I actually wrote a Mac program to display CAI flight logs in my spare
time during the 1994 pre-worlds in Omarama. Dave Ellis was impressed
enough to *give* me a Model 10. But then I struggled for several years
trying to get the specs for downloading the logs. They simply wouldn't
release them. So I gave up. There's no point at all in having a Mac
program to display logs if you still need Windows/DOS to download
them.

Yeah, that was a long time ago now. Maybe things changed.

Max Kellermann
July 23rd 11, 11:16 PM
Bruce Hoult > wrote:
> Have Cambridge released the specifications to allow 3rd party software
> to extract flight logs?

Yes, XCSoar has just implemented it (in version 6.2 alpha1). It can
downloads flights with an Android phone. There's no iPhone port of
it, though.

Darryl Ramm
July 24th 11, 12:09 AM
On Jul 23, 3:16*pm, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> Bruce Hoult > wrote:
> > Have Cambridge released the specifications to allow 3rd party software
> > to extract flight logs?
>
> Yes, XCSoar has just implemented it (in version 6.2 alpha1). *It can
> downloads flights with an Android phone. *There's no iPhone port of
> it, though.

Cambridge have had their data port specs for the 300 series public for
many many years. They showed very good insularity leadership/openness
there.

Darryl

Craig Funston
July 25th 11, 07:47 PM
On Jul 23, 4:09*pm, Darryl Ramm > wrote:
> On Jul 23, 3:16*pm, Max Kellermann > wrote:
>
> > Bruce Hoult > wrote:
> > > Have Cambridge released the specifications to allow 3rd party software
> > > to extract flight logs?
>
> > Yes, XCSoar has just implemented it (in version 6.2 alpha1). *It can
> > downloads flights with an Android phone. *There's noiPhoneport of
> > it, though.
>
> Cambridge have had their data port specs for the 300 series public for
> many many years. They showed very good insularity leadership/openness
> there.
>
> Darryl

Thanks guys. I've only had the iPhone for a month or so now and am
disappointed it won't do a number of things as well as my ancient
Treo. I've found work-arounds for many and in the end Jaibreaking it
may be the ultimate workaround. That, or switching to Android.

Best regards,
Craig

Darryl Ramm
July 25th 11, 08:09 PM
On Jul 23, 4:09*pm, Darryl Ramm > wrote:
> On Jul 23, 3:16*pm, Max Kellermann > wrote:
>
> > Bruce Hoult > wrote:
> > > Have Cambridge released the specifications to allow 3rd party software
> > > to extract flight logs?
>
> > Yes, XCSoar has just implemented it (in version 6.2 alpha1). *It can
> > downloads flights with an Android phone. *There's no iPhone port of
> > it, though.
>
> Cambridge have had their data port specs for the 300 series public for
> many many years. They showed very good insularity leadership/openness
> there.
>
> Darryl

Oops I just noticed my typo, that was supposed to be "industry
leadership".

Darryl

Google