PDA

View Full Version : Back-up IGC flight recorder

Vsoars
July 29th 11, 07:26 PM
I want to buy a back-up flight recorder. 63 invalid fixes on a long
flight has convinced me that my Volkslogger won't always record the
flight with the required accuracy. (I had the battery replaced last
year but now I am having problems on about 1 out of 4 flights. The
pattern of invalid fixes is- 4, 2, 30, 0,63, 23,21,49, 8, 10)

Darryl Ramm
July 29th 11, 07:39 PM
On 7/29/11 11:26 AM, Vsoars wrote:
> I want to buy a back-up flight recorder. 63 invalid fixes on a long
> flight has convinced me that my Volkslogger won't always record the
> flight with the required accuracy. (I had the battery replaced last
> year but now I am having problems on about 1 out of 4 flights. The
> pattern of invalid fixes is- 4, 2, 30, 0,63, 23,21,49, 8, 10)

Sorry maybe I'm missing the obvious but I'm not following that you mean
by pattern and what the numbers mean. I am not sure it's going to help
but if you want people to try to see something in that could you provide
a link to the IGC files on OLC or somewhere else.

Does the antenna have a good sky view? Have you tried a different
external antenna (if it is using one)?

I'm not sure if you need an full IGC flight recorder or whether a
PDA/PNA with separate GPS would be enough for your needs. But first
choice on my list now for a stand-alone IGC recorder would be an LX Nav
Nano. Actually the Volkslogger would be the backup...to the nano.

Darryl

Paul Remde
July 29th 11, 08:03 PM
Hi,

The LXNAV Nano has been the popular unit lately. Customers seem to like
that it is very small, has a built-in battery and antenna, and is very
simple to use. I has also proven to be very reliable.

I also sell the EW microRecorder, but I'd use the Nano myself - unless you
have soaring friends using the EW - so you can help each other if necessary.
But the EW is also very easy to use.

Best Regards,

--
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Vsoars" > wrote in message
>I want to buy a back-up flight recorder. 63 invalid fixes on a long
> flight has convinced me that my Volkslogger won't always record the
> flight with the required accuracy. (I had the battery replaced last
> year but now I am having problems on about 1 out of 4 flights. The
> pattern of invalid fixes is- 4, 2, 30, 0,63, 23,21,49, 8, 10)

Nick Hill[_3_]
August 1st 11, 01:32 PM
On 29/07/2011 20:03, Paul Remde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The LXNAV Nano has been the popular unit lately. Customers seem to like
> that it is very small, has a built-in battery and antenna, and is very
> simple to use. I has also proven to be very reliable.
>
> I also sell the EW microRecorder, but I'd use the Nano myself - unless
> you have soaring friends using the EW - so you can help each other if
> necessary. But the EW is also very easy to use.
>
> Best Regards,

One question about the Nano which I wasn't happy about - I may be wrong
but it seems it does not have any internal memory like other loggers.
The only place the trace gets stored is on the SD card. Other loggers
with SD cards keep the trace in internal memory and just use the SD card
for transfers.

The Nano manual specifically says with a big red warning triangle next
to it that although it has a removable SD card that removing the card is
not recommened and also recommends always copying flights off the Nano
in case of SD card failure.

I believe the new Colibri II does have internal memory and just uses the
SD card for transfering traces. May be a better bet once it is fully IGC
approved?

--

Nick Hill

Paul Remde
August 1st 11, 05:23 PM
Hi Nick,

I don't see it is a problem that the Nano saves flight logs only on the
microSD card. MicroSD cards are just as reliable as internal Flash memory.

I have sold quite a few Nanos and so far the feedback has been very
positive. It has proven very reliable.

I fly with a Nano and I trust it.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Nick Hill" > wrote in message
> On 29/07/2011 20:03, Paul Remde wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The LXNAV Nano has been the popular unit lately. Customers seem to like
>> that it is very small, has a built-in battery and antenna, and is very
>> simple to use. I has also proven to be very reliable.
>>
>> I also sell the EW microRecorder, but I'd use the Nano myself - unless
>> you have soaring friends using the EW - so you can help each other if
>> necessary. But the EW is also very easy to use.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>

> One question about the Nano which I wasn't happy about - I may be wrong
> but it seems it does not have any internal memory like other loggers. The
> only place the trace gets stored is on the SD card. Other loggers with SD
> cards keep the trace in internal memory and just use the SD card for
> transfers.
>
> The Nano manual specifically says with a big red warning triangle next to
> it that although it has a removable SD card that removing the card is not
> recommened and also recommends always copying flights off the Nano in case
> of SD card failure.
>
> I believe the new Colibri II does have internal memory and just uses the
> SD card for transfering traces. May be a better bet once it is fully IGC
> approved?
>
> --
>
> Nick Hill

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
August 1st 11, 11:01 PM
On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:32:47 +0100, Nick Hill wrote:

> The Nano manual specifically says with a big red warning triangle next
> to it that although it has a removable SD card that removing the card is
> not recommened and also recommends always copying flights off the Nano
> in case of SD card failure.

That makes a lot of sense. Any analysis of the lifetime of SD card
component lifetimes if its used for a relatively slow logging application
(and recording 36 bytes once a second is pretty slow) shows that the
contacts will wear out before the flash memory if its used to transfer
logs from recorder to computer.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

kammeyer
August 4th 11, 03:11 AM
On Jul 29, 1:26*pm, Vsoars > wrote:
> I want to buy a back-up flight recorder. 63 invalid fixes on a long
> flight has convinced me *that my Volkslogger won't always record the
> flight with the required accuracy. *(I had the battery replaced last
> year but now I am having problems on about 1 out of 4 flights. The
> pattern of invalid fixes is- 4, 2, 30, 0,63, 23,21,49, 8, 10)

If you have an iPhone, check out the GlidePath app. It's $10, and the
logs are approved for OLC.

kammeyer
August 5th 11, 07:14 PM
On Jul 29, 1:26*pm, Vsoars > wrote:
> I want to buy a back-up flight recorder. 63 invalid fixes on a long
> flight has convinced me *that my Volkslogger won't always record the
> flight with the required accuracy. *(I had the battery replaced last
> year but now I am having problems on about 1 out of 4 flights. The
> pattern of invalid fixes is- 4, 2, 30, 0,63, 23,21,49, 8, 10)

You might consider the iPhone app GlidePath. If you already have an
iPhone, it is only $10, and it's approved for OLC flights, and is very
easy to email logs or submit them to OLC straight from the phone.

-Dave

Google