PDA

View Full Version : I got the camera I *didn't want* for Christmas - HELP!

Mike W.
December 26th 10, 07:16 AM
After lurking for some time, I have the need to ask you pros in here for a
bit of conversation/guidance about cameras.

I am an old-school chemical film SLR buff. Actually augmented the yearly
income with a few pix. Been out of practice since the digital age. I've
read a few reviews in a few mags (which I really don't trust, since most
sound like paid info-mercials)

The s.o. knew I was thinking about getting back into photography. She
thought she'd be nice and buy a camera for me... I got one of those about
the size of a deck of cards, which I will refuse to use.

Will take it back and splurge on a digi-SLR. Money is not a big object.

I like motion shots as well as stills.

The questions:

Which has the best shutter-release trigger? (I don't want to take a shot
only to see it occur two seconds after I trigger it)

Which has the better selection of lenses? (Don't some of them still utilize
the bayonet or threaded lenses of old? Are the oldies adaptable?)

Dollar for dollar the concensus fave?

Are the controls as "dinkable" as the old film SLRs (speeds/f-stops/manual
focusing/timed exposures)??

Are the built-in flashes worth a hoot?

Not trying to start a war between posters... just needing a bit of guidance
after Santa dropped the wrong camera off at the wrong house.

Thanks to all in advance.

J3mia03
December 26th 10, 10:30 AM
Well here is mt 2 cents.

The Nikon D series (D-3 D-3x, D-3h and D-300) all have a manul mode
which is just like the old film SLR you are use to as well as a few
program mode (Aperture and shutter priority and a 'program' mode). The
DSRL can be programed so they shoot as soon as you push the shutter
release. All have a buffer of of some size that allows you to shoot
multiple shots in very quick order (5 frames per second). The larger
the buffer, the faster the FPS

You are right in the mounts the lense use. Each manufactures seems to
use a different type. I believe the universal screw threat is dead.
The good point is all the after market lens manufactures have their
lenses in all the mount systems. Many of the current lense have a
stabilization system built into them which allows you to hand hold the
lens at a far sooner speed than those without, up to 2 f-stops slower,

Don't forget with the move to digital you are going to are going to
need some image handling software for you machine (Photoshop, Photo
Elements, etc.

I believe Nikons are the best, short of moving to a Hassy. I know
many Canon users will argue with my and as Canon are as good as Nikon,
but they are always comparing their Canons to Nikons saying "as good",
but you never hear a Nikon use comparing theirs to a Canon. They just
don't feel they need to defend their cameras.

Well that's my 2 cents worth. BTW, I used my 1st SLR in 1970 while in
the AF and have been into photography since. I have had all brands of
cameras since

On 26 Dec 2010 07:16:29 GMT, "Mike W." > wrote:

>After lurking for some time, I have the need to ask you pros in here for a
>bit of conversation/guidance about cameras.
>
>I am an old-school chemical film SLR buff. Actually augmented the yearly
>income with a few pix. Been out of practice since the digital age. I've
>read a few reviews in a few mags (which I really don't trust, since most
>sound like paid info-mercials)
>
>The s.o. knew I was thinking about getting back into photography. She
>thought she'd be nice and buy a camera for me... I got one of those about
>the size of a deck of cards, which I will refuse to use.
>
>Will take it back and splurge on a digi-SLR. Money is not a big object.
>
>I like motion shots as well as stills.
>
>The questions:
>
>Which has the best shutter-release trigger? (I don't want to take a shot
>only to see it occur two seconds after I trigger it)
>
>Which has the better selection of lenses? (Don't some of them still utilize
>the bayonet or threaded lenses of old? Are the oldies adaptable?)
>
>Dollar for dollar the concensus fave?
>
>Are the controls as "dinkable" as the old film SLRs (speeds/f-stops/manual
>focusing/timed exposures)??
>
>Are the built-in flashes worth a hoot?
>
>Not trying to start a war between posters... just needing a bit of guidance
>after Santa dropped the wrong camera off at the wrong house.
>
>Thanks to all in advance.

Jim Breckenridge[_4_]
December 26th 10, 01:34 PM
On 10-12-25 11:16 PM, Mike W. wrote:
> After lurking for some time, I have the need to ask you pros in here for a
> bit of conversation/guidance about cameras.
>
> I am an old-school chemical film SLR buff. Actually augmented the yearly
> income with a few pix. Been out of practice since the digital age. I've
> read a few reviews in a few mags (which I really don't trust, since most
> sound like paid info-mercials)
>
> The s.o. knew I was thinking about getting back into photography. She
> thought she'd be nice and buy a camera for me... I got one of those about
> the size of a deck of cards, which I will refuse to use.
>
> Will take it back and splurge on a digi-SLR. Money is not a big object.
>
> I like motion shots as well as stills.
>
> The questions:
>
> Which has the best shutter-release trigger? (I don't want to take a shot
> only to see it occur two seconds after I trigger it)
>
> Which has the better selection of lenses? (Don't some of them still utilize
> the bayonet or threaded lenses of old? Are the oldies adaptable?)
>
> Dollar for dollar the concensus fave?
>
> Are the controls as "dinkable" as the old film SLRs (speeds/f-stops/manual
> focusing/timed exposures)??
>
> Are the built-in flashes worth a hoot?
>
> Not trying to start a war between posters... just needing a bit of guidance
> after Santa dropped the wrong camera off at the wrong house.
>
> Thanks to all in advance.

You might want to check out this site for a lot of good information

http://www.dpreview.com/

Greasy Rider[_8_]
December 26th 10, 06:37 PM
On 12/26/2010 02:16, Mike W. wrote:

> I am an old-school chemical film SLR buff. Actually augmented the yearly
> income with a few pix. Been out of practice since the digital age. I've
> read a few reviews in a few mags (which I really don't trust, since most
> sound like paid info-mercials)

I gave up the cheicals a few years ago....some really neat digital
programs out there without the fumes and fingernail discoloration...

> Will take it back and splurge on a digi-SLR. Money is not a big object.

Digital SLRs are kicking the pocket cameras to the curb.

> I like motion shots as well as stills.

Most newer digital cameras offer video.

> Which has the best shutter-release trigger? (I don't want to take a shot
> only to see it occur two seconds after I trigger it)

I discovered this past summer that the "lag" isn't so much the camera as
the speed characteristics of the storage media. I had a bunch of 2 and 4
rated chips.....not good for speed.....go at least 6 or 8 or better.
You'll see a big jump in speed. The rating is printed right on the chip
unless they are ashamed of it.

> Are the controls as "dinkable" as the old film SLRs (speeds/f-stops/manual
> focusing/timed exposures)??

You can go to "manual mode": and get creative. The beauty is you can see
the results instantly.

> Are the built-in flashes worth a hoot?

So-so....too much for less than 6-8 feet...too little after 15'. Plan on
an external flash. I built a small diffuser out of a white plastic film
canister to tone down my flash.... Canon SX20is.

Greasy
just my two cents

Steve Barker
December 26th 10, 07:22 PM
On 12/26/2010 1:16 AM, Mike W. wrote:
> After lurking for some time, I have the need to ask you pros in here for a
> bit of conversation/guidance about cameras.
>
> I am an old-school chemical film SLR buff. Actually augmented the yearly
> income with a few pix. Been out of practice since the digital age. I've
> read a few reviews in a few mags (which I really don't trust, since most
> sound like paid info-mercials)
>
> The s.o. knew I was thinking about getting back into photography. She
> thought she'd be nice and buy a camera for me... I got one of those about
> the size of a deck of cards, which I will refuse to use.
>
> Will take it back and splurge on a digi-SLR. Money is not a big object.
>
> I like motion shots as well as stills.
>
> The questions:
>
> Which has the best shutter-release trigger? (I don't want to take a shot
> only to see it occur two seconds after I trigger it)

Most all the worthy of owning DSLR's have unnoticable shutter lag.

> Which has the better selection of lenses? (Don't some of them still utilize
> the bayonet or threaded lenses of old? Are the oldies adaptable?)

Stick with Canon or Nikon.

> Dollar for dollar the concensus fave?

Probably the Canon, although we went with a Nikon (d5000) cause it fit
the wife's hand better

> Are the controls as "dinkable" as the old film SLRs (speeds/f-stops/manual
> focusing/timed exposures)??

Not sure what "dinkable" is. Yes, there is a full compliment of manual
controls, but they can be a PITA sometime to do in a hurry. No, it's
not the SLR of days past with the aperature ring and smooth manual focusing.

> Are the built-in flashes worth a hoot?

No, you'll need a good dedicated flash. Like the SB-600 in the case of
the Nikons. I'm sure the canon lineup has comparable eq.

> Not trying to start a war between posters... just needing a bit of guidance
> after Santa dropped the wrong camera off at the wrong house.

Save the cigarette pack camera. They are indispensable in your pocket
at times. Which one is it?

--
Steve Barker

Jens Averbeck
December 26th 10, 09:58 PM
Hi,

if you have "old" Pentax K-Mount Lenses you should take a look at the
newer Pentax DSLR, they are all nearly fully backward compatible with
the old K-Mount, which is nice when you have those.

Another plus is that the Anti-Shake isnt build into the Lens, its inside
of the Camera Body which makes the Pentax Lenses damn pricey and you
have on ALL Lenses (including ancient M42 Lenses!)a decent Anti-Shake
System.

The only Downside with Pentax DSLR is that their AF is a tad slower than
the AF from Nikon or Canon. But still more than fast enough for Planes etc.

Regards
Jens
Am 26.12.2010 08:16, schrieb Mike W.:
> After lurking for some time, I have the need to ask you pros in here for a
> bit of conversation/guidance about cameras.
>
> I am an old-school chemical film SLR buff. Actually augmented the yearly
> income with a few pix. Been out of practice since the digital age. I've
> read a few reviews in a few mags (which I really don't trust, since most
> sound like paid info-mercials)
>
> The s.o. knew I was thinking about getting back into photography. She
> thought she'd be nice and buy a camera for me... I got one of those about
> the size of a deck of cards, which I will refuse to use.
>
> Will take it back and splurge on a digi-SLR. Money is not a big object.
>
> I like motion shots as well as stills.
>
> The questions:
>
> Which has the best shutter-release trigger? (I don't want to take a shot
> only to see it occur two seconds after I trigger it)
>
> Which has the better selection of lenses? (Don't some of them still utilize
> the bayonet or threaded lenses of old? Are the oldies adaptable?)
>
> Dollar for dollar the concensus fave?
>
> Are the controls as "dinkable" as the old film SLRs (speeds/f-stops/manual
> focusing/timed exposures)??
>
> Are the built-in flashes worth a hoot?
>
> Not trying to start a war between posters... just needing a bit of guidance
> after Santa dropped the wrong camera off at the wrong house.
>
> Thanks to all in advance.

Google