PDA

View Full Version : Fire Prevention Helicopter Uvalde TX Airport 2009 - 1 attachment

CC
January 1st 11, 02:19 AM

Mitchell Holman[_5_]
January 1st 11, 05:46 AM
CC > wrote in
5.250:

To handle all those forest fires south Texas
is known for.............

Mr. Frugal
January 1st 11, 03:40 PM
Mitchell Holman > wrote in
. 131:

> CC > wrote in
> 5.250:
>

> To handle all those forest fires south Texas
> is known for.............

Prairie, or "wild" fires are often worse than any "forest" fire.

Alan Erskine[_4_]
January 2nd 11, 01:42 AM
On 2/01/2011 6:37 AM, Mitchell Holman wrote:

> South Texas is most isolated clumps of mesquite and
> cancti, both of which ranchers deliberately burn anyway
> as they take up valuable grass land. Can't imagine why
> they would put out any spontaneous fires....

Spontaneous fires are uncontrolled. What ranchers do is more akin to
controlled burnoffs - what firefighters call "Prescribed Burns" or "Rx
Burns".

Mitchell Holman[_5_]
January 2nd 11, 03:52 AM
Tom_Horn > wrote in
:

> Mesquite, which is often considered a "trash" wood, is really the
> center of a thriving industry in Texas. A highly figured & colourful
> wood, it is used in furniture making & custom gun grips, amongst
> other uses. I've 3 pair of mesquite grips on handguns I own. I will
> admit to having a "hate" relationship with mesquite though. It dates
> from my childhood growing up in west Texas in the early 50's. The
> thorns were & still are, murderous ! Unfortunately, at that time the
> mesquite tree was the only thing around there that a normal active kid
> could use for climbing.
> TH

Mesquites are all over my neighborhood, even had a
couple in my front yard. They are disgusting plants. Not
even a real tree, more like a big bush, only with nasty
thorns. They soak all the water from the soil that other
plants need, and if you cut them down they will just
grow back. In South Texas ranchers use drag lines to
get rid of them (a chain dragged between 2 bulldozers).
They heap them up and burn them so the cattle can get
some grass for a little while until they grow back and
the whole process starts again.

However, they are handy in a BBQ grill........;)

Google