PDA

View Full Version : LS-8 parts question (securing tailplane)

Tuno
August 22nd 11, 04:57 PM
(Pardon my ignorance of the proper parts nomenclature ...)

There is a thumb wheel used to secure the tailplane (same for the wing
tips), and a blade screwdriver is used to tighten and loosen the wheel
after the fingers have done what they can.

Yesterday while derigging I made a half turn or so of the wheel before
I noticed the tailplane wasn't moving -- I had forgotten to remove the
gap tape. The tailplane came off properly after removing the gap tape,
but the wheel assembly came out too. It looks like it was secured in
the fin via an "O" ring or "C" clasp. I searched thoroughly for
something that might have popped off but could not find anything.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for this missing
piece?

Advance thanks

ted/2N7O

GC[_2_]
August 22nd 11, 05:25 PM
On 23/08/2011 01:57, Tuno wrote:
> (Pardon my ignorance of the proper parts nomenclature ...)
>
> There is a thumb wheel used to secure the tailplane (same for the wing
> tips), and a blade screwdriver is used to tighten and loosen the wheel
> after the fingers have done what they can.
>
> Yesterday while derigging I made a half turn or so of the wheel before
> I noticed the tailplane wasn't moving -- I had forgotten to remove the
> gap tape. The tailplane came off properly after removing the gap tape,
> but the wheel assembly came out too. It looks like it was secured in
> the fin via an "O" ring or "C" clasp. I searched thoroughly for
> something that might have popped off but could not find anything.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for this missing
> piece?
>
> Advance thanks
>
> ted/2N7O

I's a standard (metric) circlip. Most auto parts places will have a
selection.

The circlip lets go if the nut is unscrewed while the tailplane can't
move (if, say, you haven't untaped it!). The nut pulls hard against the
circlip instead which pops off eventually. Each time the circlip lets
go, the sooner it will let go again as it slowly rounds off the edge of
the groove. By now, many LS-4 circlips let go if you blow hard!

The circlip is only to stop the nut getting lost when the tailplane is
off. It's not a serious safety issue.

Look around carefully, it's probably still on top of the fin somewhere.

GC

Tuno
August 22nd 11, 06:14 PM
Thanks GC. I looked around VERY carefully, I had visions of replacing
a part with a cost inversely proportional to its size.

If anyone knows the correct size, I'd like to mail order a couple ...

tuno

Bob Kuykendall
August 22nd 11, 06:53 PM
Check to see if it's maybe still on the stud on the tailplane spar.

JS
August 22nd 11, 07:18 PM
Always a laugh to discover that tape holds it all together!
It was always my understanding that the thumb wheel should be
tightened by using the old German 1DM coin... 5p UK, 25c US/CDN, 10c
AU/NZ, etc.
A piece of foam with a hole cut for the pushrod helps to keep bits
from dropping too far.
Jim

Grider Pirate[_2_]
August 22nd 11, 07:54 PM
On Aug 22, 11:18*am, JS > wrote:
> Always a laugh to discover that tape holds it all together!
> * It was always my understanding that the thumb wheel should be
> tightened by using the old German 1DM coin... 5p UK, 25c US/CDN, 10c
> AU/NZ, etc.
> A piece of foam with a hole cut for the pushrod helps to keep bits
> from dropping too far.
> Jim

Hmmmm I recall a story about LS4 assembly, a coin (dropped) and a lot
of NOT flying.

Dave Springford
August 23rd 11, 12:30 AM
If you have a vernier caliper, measure the diameter of the shaft of
the thumb wheel. Armed with this diameter in millimeters, go to

http://www.rotorclip.com/products.php

You want one of the "Axially Assembled External Metric" clips, most
likely the DSH designation. Click on the DSH link and you will get a
table that gives you all the sizes for this type of clip. Compare
these to your thumb wheel sizes to determine the correct clip.

Good Luck!

T[_2_]
August 23rd 11, 03:02 AM
On Aug 22, 8:57*am, Tuno > wrote:
> (Pardon my ignorance of the proper parts nomenclature ...)
>
> There is a thumb wheel used to secure the tailplane (same for the wing
> tips), and a blade screwdriver is used to tighten and loosen the wheel
> after the fingers have done what they can.
>
> Yesterday while derigging I made a half turn or so of the wheel before
> I noticed the tailplane wasn't moving -- I had forgotten to remove the
> gap tape. The tailplane came off properly after removing the gap tape,
> but the wheel assembly came out too. It looks like it was secured in
> the fin via an "O" ring or "C" clasp. I searched thoroughly for
> something that might have popped off but could not find anything.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for this missing
> piece?
>
> Advance thanks
>
> ted/2N7O

Some hardware stores refer to them as "e clips". Pick up 2 or 3 of
various sizes that may fit to save multiple trips.
Same configuration on the LS4, and we have a metal bar for that flat
screwdriver notch, tied to a cord. Drop that bar through the slot and
you will not be flying until it is retrieved. A stubby screw driver
won't fit through the slot. Drop the wheel assemly, and you may need
to remove the rudder to retrieve it.

Google