PDA

View Full Version : Hobbs Meter with Airspeed activation

Paul Remde
August 29th 11, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I have a customer that has 2 2-seat (ASK-21) gliders for a commercial
operation. He is trying to find for them "Hobbs meters" with switches that
start allow the meter to record time only when in flight (over some airspeed
threshold). Of course, it would not be ideal if it recorded when on the
ground on a windy day.

Any suggestions?

I found some Hobbs meters with part number 85000C12 which operate on 10 to
30 VDC. But the switch is the tough part.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Peter von Tresckow
August 29th 11, 08:36 PM
Why not install a GPS logger? It should be relatively easy to download the
data, and then parse it to give times of use. Something like FlyWithCE even
has software to log your times.

Peter

"Paul Remde" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer that has 2 2-seat (ASK-21) gliders for a commercial
> operation. He is trying to find for them "Hobbs meters" with switches
> that start allow the meter to record time only when in flight (over some
> airspeed threshold). Of course, it would not be ideal if it recorded when
> on the ground on a windy day.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I found some Hobbs meters with part number 85000C12 which operate on 10 to
> 30 VDC. But the switch is the tough part.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Bart[_4_]
August 29th 11, 08:51 PM
On Aug 29, 12:36*pm, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
> Why not install a GPS logger? It should be relatively easy to download the
> data, and then parse it to give times of use.

Agreed. Except the customer in question probably wants to know the
flight time immediately after Joe Glider Pilot 1 lands so that he can
pay and leave. Also, the sooner Joe Glider Pilot 2 can fly the better.
This would make the "download" part less than convenient.

My suggestion: ask the XCsoar guys to implement a "total time in
flight" feature. Then install it on a cheap car GPS and add a battery
pack.

Bart

Tony[_5_]
August 29th 11, 09:09 PM
I know you don't sell LX vario's anymore Paul but the LX16-D has a
built in flight timer function and is a nice little audio vario to
boot. I put an LX16 in the Cherokee this season and have enjoyedit so
far.

http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/variometers.htm

Tony[_5_]
August 29th 11, 09:11 PM
On Aug 29, 3:09*pm, Tony > wrote:
> I know you don't sell LX vario's anymore Paul but the LX16-D has a
> built in flight timer function and is a nice little audio vario to
> boot. *I put an LX16 in the Cherokee this season and have enjoyedit so
> far.
>
> http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/variometers.htm

another possible solution, and actually more in line with the original
question and price range, would be to work out some sort of weight on
wheels switch on the glider to run to the Hobbs meter linked.

S. Murry
August 29th 11, 09:14 PM
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:51:57 -0500, Bart > wrote:

> My suggestion: ask the XCsoar guys to implement a "total time in
> flight" feature. Then install it on a cheap car GPS and add a battery
> pack.
>
> Bart

XC Soar already has a built-in flight timer (parameter "Time of Flight").
This can be displayed in any of the infoboxes.

--
Stefan Murry

Bart[_4_]
August 29th 11, 09:18 PM
On Aug 29, 1:14*pm, "S. Murry" > wrote:
> XC Soar already has a built-in flight timer (parameter "Time of Flight"). *
> This can be displayed in any of the infoboxes.

It does, indeed. But to be Hobbs equivalent it would have to be
"total" or "cumulative" time of flight.

Bart

Dave Nadler
August 29th 11, 09:33 PM
Not yet available in USA IIRC:
http://dittolog.com/learn-about-dittolog/

Best Regards, Dave

S. Murry
August 29th 11, 09:45 PM
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:18:41 -0500, Bart > wrote:

> It does, indeed. But to be Hobbs equivalent it would have to be
> "total" or "cumulative" time of flight.
>
> Bart

True. Getting back to Paul's original question, how about using a pitot
tube to a pressure switch. There are pressure switches made for HVAC
ducts that are rated for pretty low pressure (quick search on Grainger
revealed some that actuate with as little as 0.02 in WC pressure). Quick
pitot calculation reveals that 20 MPH = 50 Pascals pitot pressure, or
about 0.2 " WC, so such a switch should work.
--
Stefan Murry

Big Wings
August 29th 11, 11:19 PM
This calculator will help you work out the pitot pressures for different
speeds.
http://chrusion.com/BJ7/ASICalc.html
Aircraft Spruce sell a range of suitable pressure switches, calibrated to
your requirements, that can be firred to a pitot circuit..

I've flown several aircraft with Hobbs displaying time in the air - mainly
for maintenance purposes. Some used the aircraft's main pitot (ASI) -
others had a separate pitot for the Hobbs.

At 20:45 29 August 2011, S. Murry wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:18:41 -0500, Bart wrote:
>

>> It does, indeed. But to be Hobbs equivalent it would have to be
>> "total" or "cumulative" time of flight.
>>
>> Bart
>
>True. Getting back to Paul's original question, how about using a pitot

>tube to a pressure switch. There are pressure switches made for HVAC
>ducts that are rated for pretty low pressure (quick search on Grainger
>revealed some that actuate with as little as 0.02 in WC pressure). Quick

>pitot calculation reveals that 20 MPH = 50 Pascals pitot pressure, or
>about 0.2 " WC, so such a switch should work.
>--
>Stefan Murry

Tim Mara
August 30th 11, 12:00 AM
I have them, these have been available for a number of years, "flying hours
counters" automatically switches on when airspeed increases to 60 km. I
suspect if it's on the ground and winds are over 60 km/h it should be tied
down and the pitot already covered.
just see my website page
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/aircraft_instruments_compass_air.htm
I do keep these in stock and have sold several.
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Paul Remde" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer that has 2 2-seat (ASK-21) gliders for a commercial
> operation. He is trying to find for them "Hobbs meters" with switches
> that start allow the meter to record time only when in flight (over some
> airspeed threshold). Of course, it would not be ideal if it recorded when
> on the ground on a windy day.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I found some Hobbs meters with part number 85000C12 which operate on 10 to
> 30 VDC. But the switch is the tough part.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

> signature database 6420 (20110829) __________