PDA

View Full Version : Harriers in mothballs

Don Hurshman
April 18th 11, 02:08 PM
Article in the Sun newspaper says Britain is spending
30 million pounds a week for launching their attacks
from bases in Italy. Crews, ground staff, fuel, ammo.
But they could have used Harriers from an aircraft
carrier for 40 million pounds a year, go figure.

Glenn[_2_]
April 18th 11, 10:20 PM
In Australia, we sold a RAAF Base for about 10 million, and rented it out
for more than that in about 3 years. I know they pay 4 million a year for
the use of one small area. That doesn't include the rent int he new
buildings that the new owner built and rented back out to defence. The base
included all the married quarters and the civilian airport on the other
side.

But, we then spent 300 million dollars on the JSF project before we
committed to it just in case we wanted it cheaper. Seriously, does anyone in
Defence actually believe that would have happened.

"Don Hurshman" > wrote in message
> Article in the Sun newspaper says Britain is spending
> 30 million pounds a week for launching their attacks
> from bases in Italy. Crews, ground staff, fuel, ammo.
> But they could have used Harriers from an aircraft
> carrier for 40 million pounds a year, go figure.

Sly Fox
April 19th 11, 09:12 AM
"Glenn" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> In Australia, we sold a RAAF Base for about 10 million, and rented it out
> for more than that in about 3 years. I know they pay 4 million a year for
> the use of one small area. That doesn't include the rent int he new
> buildings that the new owner built and rented back out to defence. The
> base included all the married quarters and the civilian airport on the
> other side.
>
> But, we then spent 300 million dollars on the JSF project before we
> committed to it just in case we wanted it cheaper. Seriously, does anyone
> in Defence actually believe that would have happened.

Defence spending seems devoid of all the usual economic justification that
other departments have to provide.
And what's worse ... no-one is ever held accountable for the monumental
waste on poorly executed projects and equipment that does not meet spec.
It's like - Who gives a rats when the money is not coming out of my pocket?

Google