PDA

View Full Version : Any Pitts S-1 pilots in this group?

Kai Glaesner
April 8th 04, 07:58 AM
Hello,

are there any Pitts S-1 (C/S/T/CC) pilots in this group?

If yes, I would like to ask what your experiences are with your engines. I'm
in the process to start building a S-1S but have not yet decided which
engine I will finaly use.

Choices are (by now):

O-360
IO-360
AEIO-360

I would like to go for the 0-360 and add a oil system according to Curtis
Pitts original drawings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for answers...

Kai Glaesner

Tom Parsons
April 9th 04, 12:25 AM
Kai-
> are there any Pitts S-1 (C/S/T/CC) pilots in this group?
>
> If yes, I would like to ask what your experiences are with your engines. I'm
> in the process to start building a S-1S but have not yet decided which
> engine I will finaly use.
>
> Choices are (by now):
>
> O-360
> IO-360
> AEIO-360
>
> I would like to go for the 0-360 and add a oil system according to Curtis
> Pitts original drawings.

I'm not a builder, but I am an owner- of a factory-kit S-1S with an
AEIO-360-B4A. My engine also has a Sky Dynamics tuned exhaust and
cold-air induction system with a swiveling oil pickup. I looked at
O-360-equipped models, but I heard some things about pressure carbs that
made me think twice about choosing to go down that road (the main issue
being diaphragm aging).
So I was all happy with my fuel-injected engine, and six months in I
had a problem with my fuel injector servo. It required essentially a
rebuild of the servo, which kept my baby on the ground for several
weeks. But I still am irrationally, happy not to have an aerobatic
airplane with a pressure carb.
Other than that, I've been very pleased with my engine, and it has been
otherwise trouble-free.

Tom P.

Byron J. Covey
April 10th 04, 10:03 AM
Also not a builder, but a former owner of a homebuilt S-1S with an O-360
with a Sky Dynamics exhaust and a Bendix PS5C pressure carb.

The major advantage of the PS5C for me was that it allowed me to prop the
engine by myself. The plane had no electrical, no starter, and weighed 756
pounds empty.

One tip on the pressure carb.: Always leave the mixture control in the rich
position after shutting down. That helps keep the diaphragms wetted,
extending their life.

BJC

"Tom Parsons" > wrote in message
> Kai-
> > are there any Pitts S-1 (C/S/T/CC) pilots in this group?
> >
> > If yes, I would like to ask what your experiences are with your engines.
I'm
> > in the process to start building a S-1S but have not yet decided which
> > engine I will finaly use.
> >
> > Choices are (by now):
> >
> > O-360
> > IO-360
> > AEIO-360
> >
> > I would like to go for the 0-360 and add a oil system according to
Curtis
> > Pitts original drawings.
>
> I'm not a builder, but I am an owner- of a factory-kit S-1S with an
> AEIO-360-B4A. My engine also has a Sky Dynamics tuned exhaust and
> cold-air induction system with a swiveling oil pickup. I looked at
> O-360-equipped models, but I heard some things about pressure carbs that
> made me think twice about choosing to go down that road (the main issue
> being diaphragm aging).
> So I was all happy with my fuel-injected engine, and six months in I
> had a problem with my fuel injector servo. It required essentially a
> rebuild of the servo, which kept my baby on the ground for several
> weeks. But I still am irrationally, happy not to have an aerobatic
> airplane with a pressure carb.
> Other than that, I've been very pleased with my engine, and it has been
> otherwise trouble-free.
>
> Tom P.

Gus Rasch
April 10th 04, 07:48 PM
> I'm not a builder, but I am an owner- of a factory-kit S-1S with an
> AEIO-360-B4A. My engine also has a Sky Dynamics tuned exhaust and
> cold-air induction system with a swiveling oil pickup. I looked at
> O-360-equipped models, but I heard some things about pressure carbs that
> made me think twice about choosing to go down that road (the main issue
> being diaphragm aging).
> So I was all happy with my fuel-injected engine, and six months in I
> had a problem with my fuel injector servo. It required essentially a
> rebuild of the servo, which kept my baby on the ground for several
> weeks. But I still am irrationally, happy not to have an aerobatic
> airplane with a pressure carb.
> Other than that, I've been very pleased with my engine, and it has been
> otherwise trouble-free.
>
> Tom P.

As the owner of an S1S with O-360 and pressure carb I can say that it
has been trouble free for the past 80 hours and 1 year of ownership.
Most PS5C carbs are now sporting "lifetime" orange diaphragm seals and
give good service.

Gus Rasch
Pitts S1S
N21JF

Peter Ashwood-Smith C-GZRO
April 12th 04, 12:10 AM
Am running an AEIO-360 in a stock S-1T. I have not had any problems
with the induction system on this aircraft. The two areas I've had
problems with are the exhaust, which has cracked 2 or three times and
the traditional Lycoming camshaft spalding problem that required a
major at only 650hrs, mind you the plane was not flown much by the
previous owner.

So ... fly it a lot and keep a close eye on the exhaust for cracks
;)

Peter

> > I'm not a builder, but I am an owner- of a factory-kit S-1S with an
> > AEIO-360-B4A. My engine also has a Sky Dynamics tuned exhaust and
> > cold-air induction system with a swiveling oil pickup. I looked at
> > O-360-equipped models, but I heard some things about pressure carbs that
> > made me think twice about choosing to go down that road (the main issue
> > being diaphragm aging).
> > So I was all happy with my fuel-injected engine, and six months in I
> > had a problem with my fuel injector servo. It required essentially a
> > rebuild of the servo, which kept my baby on the ground for several
> > weeks. But I still am irrationally, happy not to have an aerobatic
> > airplane with a pressure carb.
> > Other than that, I've been very pleased with my engine, and it has been
> > otherwise trouble-free.
> >
> > Tom P.
>

> As the owner of an S1S with O-360 and pressure carb I can say that it
> has been trouble free for the past 80 hours and 1 year of ownership.
> Most PS5C carbs are now sporting "lifetime" orange diaphragm seals and
> give good service.
>
> Gus Rasch
> Pitts S1S
> N21JF