PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - Vacuum vs Electric

Bill Denton
April 14th 04, 02:57 PM
I have noticed that American Champion offers three different panel "types"
on the Super Decathlon:

No gyro instruments.

Vacuum gyro instruments.

Electric gyro instruments.

I have read that aerobatic work is extremely hard on vacuum gyro
instruments, and that for an airplane doing primarily work, the no gyro
option is preferable.

So how do electric gyro instruments fit into the equation? Are they less
susceptible to damage from aerobatics than vacuum gyro instruments? Are
there any other advantages.

Thanks!

nametab
April 15th 04, 11:30 PM
I would always chose electric over vacuum. HOWEVER, I would always chose
solid state over all gyros.
I know of no iron gyros (powered by anything) that do well with aerobatics.
But, there are several solid state gyros that can stay with you, and even if
they "let go" it won't hurt the unit. And when you are back to > 200 deg/sec
rates, the solid state gyros will find themselves.

"Bill Denton" > wrote in message
> I have noticed that American Champion offers three different panel "types"
> on the Super Decathlon:
>
> No gyro instruments.
>
> Vacuum gyro instruments.
>
> Electric gyro instruments.
>
> I have read that aerobatic work is extremely hard on vacuum gyro
> instruments, and that for an airplane doing primarily work, the no gyro
> option is preferable.
>
> So how do electric gyro instruments fit into the equation? Are they less
> susceptible to damage from aerobatics than vacuum gyro instruments? Are
> there any other advantages.
>
> Thanks!

Google