PDA

View Full Version : Re: The beauty of GA

Paul Tomblin
July 9th 03, 01:47 PM
In a previous article, "Guy Elden Jr." > said:
>"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>> > This is the way it should be!!!!
>> Amen, Brother! There is NOTHING like G.A.
>>
>> Now if only we could convince a few million more voters of the same, eh?
>
>Yes, the voters need to be convinced that GA is safe. However, they
>definitely do not need to be convinced that they need to fly. God help us
>all if the typical U.S. automobile drivers ever get their hands on aircraft.
>Ugh.

What the US and Canada need is fewer licensed drivers, not more licensed
pilots.

--
Paul Tomblin >, not speaking for anybody
And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode.

David Megginson
July 9th 03, 02:02 PM
(Paul Tomblin) writes:

> What the US and Canada need is fewer licensed drivers, not more
> licensed pilots.

Or at least a required BDR (Biennial Driving Review). Fortunately,
most pilots don't learn stupid habits directly from their dads (or
moms), the way that many drivers obviously do.

I know that, statistically, GA flying is more dangerous than driving
hour for hour, but I still find driving much scarier (and I have to do
a lot more of it).

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/

David Megginson
July 11th 03, 12:03 PM
(journeyman) writes:

>>I know that, statistically, GA flying is more dangerous than driving
>>hour for hour, but I still find driving much scarier (and I have to do
>>a lot more of it).
>
> The stats are not comparable because they collect them using different
> bases, but the best estimate seems to be that flying is about an order
> of magnitude more dangerous than driving, comparable to motorcycling,
> but I easily spend more than an order of magnitude driving, so over
> my lifetime, driving is a bigger risk.

I fly about 10-15 hours/month. Fortunately, I don't have to spend
much more than that in the car, since I don't commute to work and I
live in an urban neighbourhood where I can do my shopping on foot.
That makes flying more risky for me, relatively speaking, but my
overall risk level is lower. I do everything I can to make both
flying and driving safer.

I wonder if anyone has ever compared the risk of GA flying to the risk
of being 30 lb overweight, say, for a 35-55 year-old male?

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/

Jay Honeck
July 12th 03, 12:19 AM
Beautiful! :)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

> Because I Fly
>
> Because I fly,
> I laugh more than other men.
> I look up and see more than they.
> I know how clouds feel,
> What it's like to have the blue in my lap,
> To look down on Birds,
> To feel freedom in a thing called the Stick..
> Who but I
> Can slice between God's billowed legs,
> And feel them laugh and crash with his step?
> Who else has seen the unclimbed peaks?
> The rainbow's secrets?
> The real reason birds sing?
> Because I fly,