PDA

View Full Version : Old Forge, NY

Ron Rosenfeld
July 13th 03, 03:25 AM
Years ago, I landed on a grass strip near Old Forge, NY. I have occasion
to go there again. Although I see a landing strip near there on my Delorme
Topo program, I do not see anything on FlightStar or in the AOPA airport
directory.

Does anyone know what happened to that airfield?

Thanks.

Peter R.
July 13th 03, 03:45 AM
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

> Years ago, I landed on a grass strip near Old Forge, NY. I have occasion
> to go there again. Although I see a landing strip near there on my Delorme
> Topo program, I do not see anything on FlightStar or in the AOPA airport
> directory.
>
> Does anyone know what happened to that airfield?

It is no longer there, either public or private, but I cannot answer
what happened to it. However, one evening last winter I landed at
Oneida Cty airport (50nm to the SW of Old Forge, NY) and struck up a
conversation with another, older pilot who had also just arrived. We
both had our CFIIs with us and were using UCA to shoot some night time
approaches.

It turned out that this gentleman is a politician for a town near Old
Forge. During our chat, I asked him if there would ever be an airport
in Old Forge. He told me that there are plans in the works to get a
paved airport up and running in Old Forge sometime soon. He went on to
say that the town was considering taking back the land (perhaps where
that grass strip was?) by beg, borrow, or steal, a demonstration of how
OF's town leaders recognize the importance of reviving the airport.

In the fall I am going to be vacationing near OF and I plan on tracking
down that politician to get an update. I, too, hope to see an airport
there.

Until then, strap on the floats! :) This politician flies a C172 that
is retrofitted with floats in the summer.

--
Peter
Based out of SYR

Ron Rosenfeld
July 13th 03, 12:44 PM
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:45:56 -0400, Peter R. >
wrote:

>It is no longer there, either public or private, but I cannot answer
>what happened to it. However, one evening last winter I landed at
>Oneida Cty airport (50nm to the SW of Old Forge, NY) and struck up a
>conversation with another, older pilot who had also just arrived. We
>both had our CFIIs with us and were using UCA to shoot some night time
>approaches.

Peter,

Thanks for that information. I guess their plans will not come to fruition
in time for me to use it this week, though.

I was going to meet my son there. I'll probably meet him at UCA.

Floats would be nice. I had my first hour on floats there in a Super Cub.
But my Mooney does not have floats. So I could only make one water landing
and no takeoffs in it. :-(

Google