PDA

View Full Version : OT - not airplanes but short - good anti spam program

Duane MacInnis
July 14th 03, 03:33 AM
Folks, this ain't spam -- honest. Pleeeease don't flame me.

Some of us have email addresses in public websites, so we are unavoidably plagued by spam. It's even worse at my "day job", where I get spam every 10 minutes or less, easily a hundred a day.

I saw "SpamArrest" reviewed favorably in a recent Consumers Reports and at
http://email.about.com/cs/spamfilteringrev/gr/spam_arrest.htm

It's free, and seems to work pretty well. Fussy to configure, but it is now busily filling my "Spam" folder with crap. Not much gets through.

It's made by the same folks who make an email program called "Bloomba" that I know absolutely nothing about. I use Outlook Express. Bloomba is not needed to to run SpamArrest.

SpamArrest http://saproxy.bloomba.com/

Duane
++++++++++++++
Duane MacInnis
Flight Instructor
Cell (604) 454-7415
www.macinnisaviation.com

Casey Wilson
July 14th 03, 04:01 AM
PLONK!

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

"Duane MacInnis" > wrote in message
[...]

Newps
July 14th 03, 04:37 AM
Netscape just released a new version of Communicator that has anti spam
software. I have had it installed for a few days now and is it
effective. All the spam goes to the junk folder. It hasn't made a
mistake yet.

Duane MacInnis wrote:
> Folks, this ain't spam -- honest. Pleeeease don't flame me.
>
> Some of us have email addresses in public websites, so we are
> unavoidably plagued by spam. It's even worse at my "day job", where I
> get spam every 10 minutes or less, easily a hundred a day.
>
> I saw "SpamArrest" reviewed favorably in a recent Consumers Reports and at
> http://email.about.com/cs/spamfilteringrev/gr/spam_arrest.htm
>
> It's free, and seems to work pretty well. Fussy to configure, but it is
> now busily filling my "Spam" folder with crap. Not much gets through.
>
> It's made by the same folks who make an email program called "Bloomba"
> that I know absolutely nothing about. I use Outlook Express. Bloomba
> is not needed to to run SpamArrest.
>
> SpamArrest http://saproxy.bloomba.com/
>
> Duane
> ++++++++++++++
> Duane MacInnis
> Flight Instructor
> Cell (604) 454-7415
> www.macinnisaviation.com <http://www.macinnisaviation.com>

BTIZ
July 14th 03, 04:44 AM
Norton internet protection software has an anti spam module..
worked pretty good at first.. but now about 50% of the SH#$^%#^ gets
through.. and I have to check the SPAM DELETE folder anyway.. because some
of the legit mail gets SPAMMED

BT

"Newps" > wrote in message
> Netscape just released a new version of Communicator that has anti spam
> software. I have had it installed for a few days now and is it
> effective. All the spam goes to the junk folder. It hasn't made a
> mistake yet.
>
> Duane MacInnis wrote:
> > Folks, this ain't spam -- honest. Pleeeease don't flame me.
> >
> > Some of us have email addresses in public websites, so we are
> > unavoidably plagued by spam. It's even worse at my "day job", where I
> > get spam every 10 minutes or less, easily a hundred a day.
> >
> > I saw "SpamArrest" reviewed favorably in a recent Consumers Reports and
at
> > http://email.about.com/cs/spamfilteringrev/gr/spam_arrest.htm
> >
> > It's free, and seems to work pretty well. Fussy to configure, but it is
> > now busily filling my "Spam" folder with crap. Not much gets through.
> >
> > It's made by the same folks who make an email program called "Bloomba"
> > that I know absolutely nothing about. I use Outlook Express. Bloomba
> > is not needed to to run SpamArrest.
> >
> > SpamArrest http://saproxy.bloomba.com/
> >
> > Duane
> > ++++++++++++++
> > Duane MacInnis
> > Flight Instructor
> > Cell (604) 454-7415
> > www.macinnisaviation.com <http://www.macinnisaviation.com>

Dylan Smith
July 14th 03, 08:14 AM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:37:16 GMT, Newps > wrote:
>Netscape just released a new version of Communicator that has anti spam
>software. I have had it installed for a few days now and is it
>effective. All the spam goes to the junk folder. It hasn't made a
>mistake yet.

Difficult to beat SpamAssassin running on the MX though...
SA is rules-based, and can use several other features (such as the
Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse, which compares messages received
by large numbers of people to detect 'bulkiness') along with the
Spamhaus blackhole list (which only lists the worst spam offenders,
when it comes to RBLs, I don't want to use one that's too agressive).

This combination is highly effective and it means I don't even need
to download the spam to have it filtered by my mail program.

The DCC alone finds about 80% of the spam - the rule set gets the rest.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Steve Foley
July 14th 03, 10:23 AM
Aren't these guys being sued by Hormel (Makers of Spam canned meat)

"Duane MacInnis" > wrote in message

I saw "SpamArrest" reviewed favorably in a recent Consumers Reports and at

Google