PDA

View Full Version : Aviation AD&D above $200K?

David Gunter
July 15th 03, 03:50 PM
Now that I'm flying solo I have to pay attention to the "cannot be a pilot"
clause of my current life insurance policy. One option I have is to scrap
the policy (it is a term policy) and start anew with one which does not have
the rider for piloting an airplane.

The second option, which I prefer, is to simply get an aviation AD&D policy
to go along with the existing policy. However, even the policy offered
through the AOPA only goes as high as $125K. I've not found anything through
a brief Google search either.

Does anyone know of an outfit that will cover one up to around $250K or
more?

Thanks,
david
--
Replace spam with david in the email address if you really want to send
email to me.

Ron Natalie
July 15th 03, 04:11 PM
"David Gunter" > wrote in message ...

> The second option, which I prefer, is to simply get an aviation AD&D policy
> to go along with the existing policy. However, even the policy offered
> through the AOPA only goes as high as $125K. I've not found anything through
> a brief Google search either.
>
> Does anyone know of an outfit that will cover one up to around $250K or
> more?

No, I think you'll have to go for a regular term policy without an aviation exclusion.
At the rates AOPA wants for the AD&D you can easily get a term policy. Try
www.piclife.com, they arranged mine.

journeyman
July 15th 03, 06:41 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:11:11 -0400, Ron Natalie > wrote:

>> Does anyone know of an outfit that will cover one up to around $250K or
>> more?
>
>No, I think you'll have to go for a regular term policy without an aviation
>exclusion.
>At the rates AOPA wants for the AD&D you can easily get a term policy. Try
>www.piclife.com, they arranged mine.

They've got a good reputation. The name always comes up whenever life
insurance comes up around here. Through no fault of theirs, they
failed twice to sell me a policy. Next time I get my act together,
I'll give them another shot.

The other possibility (for the original poster) is to stick with the
original policy and get them to waive the no pilot clause. It can
be done, particularly if you've had the policy for some time and you
hadn't been thinking about becoming a pilot when you got the policy.

Good luck,

Morris

Mike Z.
July 15th 03, 07:24 PM
Does it say "can't be" or "I'm not" ?

Mine said I'm not and I wasn't but I am now.

Mike Z

"journeyman" > wrote in message u.com...
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:11:11 -0400, Ron Natalie > wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know of an outfit that will cover one up to around $250K or
> >> more?
> >
> >No, I think you'll have to go for a regular term policy without an aviation
> >exclusion.
> >At the rates AOPA wants for the AD&D you can easily get a term policy. Try
> >www.piclife.com, they arranged mine.
>
> They've got a good reputation. The name always comes up whenever life
> insurance comes up around here. Through no fault of theirs, they
> failed twice to sell me a policy. Next time I get my act together,
> I'll give them another shot.
>
> The other possibility (for the original poster) is to stick with the
> original policy and get them to waive the no pilot clause. It can
> be done, particularly if you've had the policy for some time and you
> hadn't been thinking about becoming a pilot when you got the policy.
>
> Good luck,
>

> Morris

Ron Natalie
July 15th 03, 08:01 PM
"Mike Z." > wrote in message ...
> Does it say "can't be" or "I'm not" ?
>
> Mine said I'm not and I wasn't but I am now.

Good point. When I got my policy they asked me if I flew experimentals,
skydived, or drove race cars. I pointed out that I didn't currently do any
of those things but what if I did. The broker said that only my current status
affected the premiums and I'd be free to pick up those hobbies after the
policy was issued (no exclusion on them either). As a matter of fact, even
being a CFI puts you in a riskier class.

journeyman
July 15th 03, 08:20 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:24:26 -0400, Mike Z. > wrote:

[relevent text moved to the top so the context is more clear]
>> The other possibility (for the original poster) is to stick with the
>> original policy and get them to waive the no pilot clause. It can
>> be done, particularly if you've had the policy for some time and you
>> hadn't been thinking about becoming a pilot when you got the policy.

>Does it say "can't be" or "I'm not" ?

That sentence took me a full 2 seconds to parse.

>Mine said I'm not and I wasn't but I am now.

Even if it says you can't be a pilot, that one clause might be removed
by the insurance company. They might not do it, but it wouldn't hurt
to ask.

Morris

journeyman
July 15th 03, 11:14 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:30:54 -0400, Ron Natalie > wrote:

>> >Does it say "can't be" or "I'm not" ?
>>
>> That sentence took me a full 2 seconds to parse.
>>
>The issue is that some policies ask if you fly planes when you get them.
>If you aren't flying planes, the policy is issued. That doesn't specifically
>preclude you from being covered when flying unless the policy terms explicitly
>state that.

Yeah, I figured that out, but I had to read the sentence a couple of
times first. :-)

Morris

Roger Halstead
July 16th 03, 01:22 AM
wrote:

>"David Gunter" > wrote in message ...
>
>> The second option, which I prefer, is to simply get an aviation AD&D policy
>> to go along with the existing policy. However, even the policy offered
>> through the AOPA only goes as high as $125K. I've not found anything through
>> a brief Google search either.
>>
>> Does anyone know of an outfit that will cover one up to around $250K or
>> more?

I had one through work (group insurance) and one through State Farm.
Neither had any aviation exclusions except when doing aerobatics, or
for hire. SF charged a $160 extra for the term I was a student.

I don't remember the name of the company through work, but the value
was well above $200K

When I retired I dropped a lot of insurance. I kept enough so they
don't have to leave me laying around, and not enough so any heirs
would like to see me hurry up and leave.... And my ex wife couldn't
understand why the judge had her removed from my policy. <:-))

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

>No, I think you'll have to go for a regular term policy without an aviation exclusion.
>At the rates AOPA wants for the AD&D you can easily get a term policy. Try
>www.piclife.com, they arranged mine.

Google