PDA

View Full Version : Airplane that crashed in Lake Ontario yet to be raised

James Robinson
July 16th 03, 12:16 AM
Toronto police and the aircraft's US insurance company are squabbling
over who should be responsible for raising a twin Beech that crashed
into the lake on the 7th of July. It was on a flight from Chicago to
Toronto Island airport, when it disappeared in heavy fog just short of
the airport. The pilot's body has not been recovered:

http://www.canada.com/news/story.asp?id=5C82938A-64DD-4CB1-A9F9-6044B635F2DB

The aircraft is in water too deep for traditional scuba divers, so a
salvage company has to be hired. The insurance company that covered the
aircraft (AIG) today said that they aren't interested in recovering
either the aircraft or the pilot.

Paul Tomblin
July 16th 03, 12:45 AM
In a previous article, James Robinson > said:
>The aircraft is in water too deep for traditional scuba divers, so a
>salvage company has to be hired. The insurance company that covered the
>aircraft (AIG) today said that they aren't interested in recovering
>either the aircraft or the pilot.

Too bad he's not a Kennedy, otherwise the taxpayers might pay for it.

--
Paul Tomblin >, not speaking for anybody
Renting airplanes is like renting sex: It's difficult to arrange on short

Tom S.
July 16th 03, 01:06 AM
"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> In a previous article, James Robinson > said:
> >The aircraft is in water too deep for traditional scuba divers, so a
> >salvage company has to be hired. The insurance company that covered the
> >aircraft (AIG) today said that they aren't interested in recovering
> >either the aircraft or the pilot.
>
> Too bad he's not a Kennedy, otherwise the taxpayers might pay for it.

If it were Ted Kennedy, I'd pay it myself.

Jim Herring
July 16th 03, 03:07 AM
"Tom S." wrote:

> "Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> > Too bad he's not a Kennedy, otherwise the taxpayers might pay for it.
> >

> If it were Ted Kennedy, I'd pay it myself.

If it was Ted Kennedy, I'd pay to make sure it couldn't be recovered. Let the
fish have him.

--

Jim

carry on

Jim Vadek
July 16th 03, 04:43 AM
"Jim Herring" > wrote in message
> "Tom S." wrote:
>
> > "Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> > > Too bad he's not a Kennedy, otherwise the taxpayers might pay for it.
> > >

> > If it were Ted Kennedy, I'd pay it myself.
>
> If it was Ted Kennedy, I'd pay to make sure it couldn't be recovered. Let
the
> fish have him.

So you are a "compassionate conservative"?

Jeff Franks
July 16th 03, 04:47 AM
If it were Ted Kennedy, I'll bet the NTSB would rule that it was brake
failure......

"Jim Herring" > wrote in message
> "Tom S." wrote:
>
> > "Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> > > Too bad he's not a Kennedy, otherwise the taxpayers might pay for it.
> > >

> > If it were Ted Kennedy, I'd pay it myself.
>
> If it was Ted Kennedy, I'd pay to make sure it couldn't be recovered. Let
the
> fish have him.
>
> --
>
> Jim
>
> carry on

News==----
Newsgroups
=---

Tom Huxton
July 16th 03, 06:21 AM
"Jeff Franks" > wrote in message ...
> If it were Ted Kennedy, I'll bet the NTSB would rule that it was brake
> failure......

Ha, weight and balance. Uncontrollable left turn.

john smith
July 16th 03, 12:51 PM
Tom Huxton wrote:

> "Jeff Franks" > wrote in message ...
> > If it were Ted Kennedy, I'll bet the NTSB would rule that it was brake
> > failure......
> >

> Ha, weight and balance. Uncontrollable left turn.

No, that would imply "pilot error".

Dave Stadt
July 16th 03, 01:39 PM
"Jeff Franks" > wrote in message
> If it were Ted Kennedy, I'll bet the NTSB would rule that it was brake
> failure......

And alcohol had nothing to do with it.

Ron Natalie
July 16th 03, 03:44 PM
"Dave Stadt" > wrote in message .com...

> "Jeff Franks" > wrote in message
> > If it were Ted Kennedy, I'll bet the NTSB would rule that it was brake
> > failure......
>
> And alcohol had nothing to do with it.

Anybody going to midnight mass?

G.R. Patterson III
July 17th 03, 03:08 AM
Montblack wrote:

> The old saying...
>
> If Ted Kennedy were driving a Volkswagen that night, he would have been
> elected President.

Comes from the National Lampoon. They ran a full page fake ad that showed
a beetle floating in teh Chappaquiddick water with the caption "If Mary Jo
Kopechne had owned a Volkswagen, Ted Kennedy woul never have gotten into
hot water." Volkswagen sued and won. The ad was great! Wish I had a copy.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

Jeff Franks
July 17th 03, 02:35 PM
AH HA! You guys have to spoon feed us kids (born >1970). I had forgotten
that the VW "will definitely float, but won't float indefinitely".

Now the "old saying" makes sense :)

"John Galban" > wrote in message
om...
> "G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message
> > Montblack wrote:
> > >
> > > The old saying...
> > >
> > > If Ted Kennedy were driving a Volkswagen that night, he would have
been
> > > elected President.
> >
> > Comes from the National Lampoon. They ran a full page fake ad that
showed
> > a beetle floating in teh Chappaquiddick water with the caption "If Mary
Jo
> > Kopechne had owned a Volkswagen, Ted Kennedy woul never have gotten into
> > hot water." Volkswagen sued and won. The ad was great! Wish I had a
copy.

> It caused quite a stir back in 1973. VW filed suit ( reportedly $33
> million) but quickly withdrew. They wouldn't have stood a chance in
> court as the Lampoon ad was a parody of their own "It Floats" ad
> campaign. Parody is fair game in the U.S.
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Ron Natalie
July 17th 03, 03:45 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message ...

> Comes from the National Lampoon. They ran a full page fake ad that showed
> a beetle floating in teh Chappaquiddick water with the caption "If Mary Jo
> Kopechne had owned a Volkswagen, Ted Kennedy woul never have gotten into
> hot water." Volkswagen sued and won. The ad was great! Wish I had a copy.

My favorite was the spoof where John Cameron Swayze was strapping the Timex
watch to the bumper of Ted Kennedy's car.

Google