PDA

View Full Version : BFR dual with lapsed medical

Corrie
July 18th 03, 05:28 PM
If your medical is lapsed (but in the works - waiting on paperwork),
can you log dual with a CFI towards a BFR? You're not a student
pilot, but you can't exercise the privs of your PPL because of the
expired medical. Is the CFI considered the PIC, or are you? Or do
the FARs consider you a non-pilot passenger, meaning you can't log the
time as dual received?

-Confused

Peter Duniho
July 18th 03, 05:45 PM
"Corrie" > wrote in message
om...
> If your medical is lapsed (but in the works - waiting on paperwork),
> can you log dual with a CFI towards a BFR?

Yes.

> [...] Is the CFI considered the PIC, or are you?

You mean "acting PIC", right? The CFI is. But this would often be the case
even if your medical were current.

Pete

Jim Weir
July 18th 03, 06:05 PM
My read of the FARs is that you do not have to have a medical to take the BFR
itself. You cannot exercise the privileges of your pilot certificate until you
get the medical, but the BFR itself does not require you to be pilot in command.

Consider the case of somebody with a lapsed BFR. (S)he cannot act as PIC until
the instructor signs off the satisfactory flight review. I see little
difference between a lapsed BFR and a lapsed medical in this situation.

Then again, I ain't in the office of the Chief Counsel.

Jim

(Corrie)

->If your medical is lapsed (but in the works - waiting on paperwork),
->can you log dual with a CFI towards a BFR?
http://www.rst-engr.com

Ron Natalie
July 21st 03, 07:30 PM
"Corrie" > wrote in message om...
> If your medical is lapsed (but in the works - waiting on paperwork),
> can you log dual with a CFI towards a BFR?

Certainly, provided the CFI has a medical and is otherwise eligible to
be PIC.

You can log it as PIC time even.

Google