PDA

View Full Version : Re: Can I hold both a Canadian and a US license?

journeyman
July 18th 03, 05:32 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:20:04 -0400, Drew Hamilton > wrote:
>I hold a Canadian Private Pilote License-Aeroplane. Is it possible to hold
>both a Canadian and an American license simultaneously, and if so, what's
>the procedure for obtaining the American license?
>
>The reason that I'm interested in holding the American license (rather
>than just that FAA endorsement that you can get) is that I may be
>interested in living overseas for a few years, and I suspect that I will
>have an easier time finding an N-numbered plane that I can rent than
>a C-numbered plane.

Not a problem. You'll have to do the FAA written and practical tests
and meet the FAA experience requirements (including night flight,
cross country, etc.).

Morris

Todd Pattist
July 18th 03, 06:34 PM
Drew Hamilton > wrote:

>I hold a Canadian Private Pilote License-Aeroplane. Is it possible to hold
>both a Canadian and an American license simultaneously, and if so, what's
>the procedure for obtaining the American license?

Yes, you can hold both. The procedure is simply to apply
for the U.S. license establishing that you've met all the
requirements, and take the written and flight tests.

>The reason that I'm interested in holding the American license (rather
>than just that FAA endorsement that you can get)

Technically, the "FAA endorsement that you can get" (issued
under FAR 61.75) is also a U.S. license, it's just got
different requirements. You can use the 61.75 "endorsement"
license to fly N-numbered planes the same way as you would a
regular U.S. license. There's no reason to go the "regular"
route unless you want to. You might want to if you want to
fly at night and your home country license doesn't allow
that. Note that if you get the regular U.S. license, you
can't also get a 61.75 license. That's only a problem if
you've got advanced ratings in the home country.

>is that I may be
>interested in living overseas for a few years, and I suspect that I will
>have an easier time finding an N-numbered plane that I can rent than
>a C-numbered plane.
>
> - awh

Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

SelwayKid
July 19th 03, 11:35 PM
Drew Hamilton > wrote in message >...
> I hold a Canadian Private Pilote License-Aeroplane. Is it possible to hold
> both a Canadian and an American license simultaneously, and if so, what's
> the procedure for obtaining the American license?
>
> The reason that I'm interested in holding the American license (rather
> than just that FAA endorsement that you can get) is that I may be
> interested in living overseas for a few years, and I suspect that I will
> have an easier time finding an N-numbered plane that I can rent than
> a C-numbered plane.
>
> - awh
Drew
I have both the USA and Canadian licenses. Others have indicated how
to obtain the FAA license. If you are going to rent aircraft overseas
you'll most likely end up writing the country regs and get a local
medical and an equivilant local license based on your Canada and FAA
license. I've done that in many countries where I worked as a pilot.
Most regulations and requirements are ICAO so you're already familiar
with them and not a big deal.
Have fun and expect to end up paying premium prices for foreign
rentals.
Selway Kid

Google