PDA

View Full Version : Re: OPEN LETTER TO JOURNALISTS

Dan Luke
July 19th 03, 04:32 PM
"Dennis O'Connor" wrote:
> What did you report on today?

The plane crash, unless a man bit a dog somewhere.

Of course they'll report on the plane crash because it's a more unusual
story. You would too if you had papers to peddle.

What do you want them to do, *not* report fatal aviation accidents?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Yossarian
July 19th 03, 10:27 PM
Guess they shouldn't have reported the space shuttle deaths either since the
yearly death rate for the space program is so low.

"Dennis O'Connor" > wrote in message
> Open letter to journalists: Statistics for 2001
>

> General Aviation deaths per day (USA) 1.5
>
> Deaths by bicycle per day (USA) 2.2
>
> Deaths by drowning per day (USA) 11
>
> Deaths on the job site per day (USA) 17
>
> Death by automobile per day (USA) 117
>
> Deaths by automobile (world) per day 548
>
> What did you report on today?
>
> Denny

WRE
July 20th 03, 12:21 AM
And the Concorde went from being the safest commercial airliner ( because it
had never crashed) to being the most unsafe because it had one crash (based
on passenger mile flown by type).

Darn statistics!

"Dennis O'Connor" > wrote in message
> Open letter to journalists: Statistics for 2001
>

> General Aviation deaths per day (USA) 1.5
>
> Deaths by bicycle per day (USA) 2.2
>
> Deaths by drowning per day (USA) 11
>
> Deaths on the job site per day (USA) 17
>
> Death by automobile per day (USA) 117
>
> Deaths by automobile (world) per day 548
>
> What did you report on today?
>
> Denny

Jim
July 20th 03, 02:47 AM
> What did you report on today?

>Denny

Bush and the faulty CIA info and Koby Bryant (sp).... that's all they
reported on today.... and yesterday... and the day before that....

Sometimes I almost wish there were more journalists in those statistics....

Jim Burns III

Doug Carter
July 20th 03, 02:28 PM
Dennis O'Connor wrote:
> Open letter to journalists: Statistics for 2001

Reviewing the evolution of style and content selection of television
news since its inception it is sadly clear that television 'journalism'
has become no more than a (quite lucrative) variation of reality tv.

The most often question asked by 'journalists' of families of 'victims'
is "how do you FEEL about this tragedy?"

Vicarious sensationalism sells, facts are boring.

Brandabc
July 21st 03, 06:33 AM
As an aviator, I prefer that journalists REPORT every crash with as detailed
information as possible. Understanding the cause of an accident can only serve
to help those that pursue flight in terms of safety. Sometimes, and more often
than not, what is reported by a local journalist sheds more light on an
accident than a bland NTSB report ever has.

Doug Carter
July 21st 03, 01:42 PM
Brandabc wrote:
> than not, what is reported by a local journalist sheds more light on an
> accident than a bland NTSB report ever has.

Like:

"...Witnesses told authorities the plane, a Lancair 320, appeared to
"fall out of the sky," Munoz said..."

or

"...An official told CBS 3 the engine had lost power and that the pilot
tried to force a landing..."

This invaluable information should be factored into everyone's recurrent
flight training :-)

Frank
July 24th 03, 03:28 PM
Dan Luke wrote:

> "Dennis O'Connor" wrote:
>> What did you report on today?
>
> The plane crash, unless a man bit a dog somewhere.
>
> Of course they'll report on the plane crash because it's a more unusual
> story. You would too if you had papers to peddle.
>
> What do you want them to do, *not* report fatal aviation accidents?

I would like them to report fatal aviation accidents in the same place (and
with the same treatment) as fatal automobile accidents.

--
Frank....H

Google