PDA

View Full Version : Re: Downloading GPS track data and overlaying charts

Aloft
July 20th 03, 09:14 AM

> > To help improve the precision of my flying, I'd like to
> > overlay the GPS track of my flight on a chart so I can
> > compare.

> Although I don't recall what the most 'usable' program is right now, my
> guess would be the OziExplorer.

Yes, OziExplorer is perfect for this. The steps involved are acquisition of
a scanned approach plate via whatever means (if you have Adobe Photoshop you
can import the PDF files of the NOS charts on AOPA's website), import the
image into OziExplorer and calibrate using up to 9 points (fixes and VORs
work just fine, anything that you can get an accurate lat/long for), then
download the track from the GPS into Ozi.

Here's a sample: http://64.203.15.192:81/KSUS-ILS-RWY-8R.gif

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 25th 03, 03:15 PM
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
> I do this regularly on dual cross country flights. GARtrip is a
> shareware that allows you to calibrate a scanned image and overlay the
> track data. The calibration is done by specifying the co-ordinates of
> two fixed points on the image. It is quite easy and works beautifully.

Thanks, Andrew! This is looking like a "winner" and worth the
$30 registration fee, for the ease-of-use for a Garmin owner
and for the ability to overlay track on any .gif, .bmp, or .jpg
file and calibrate with trivial ease. Am using "chartchunks"
from Aeroplanner since we have a month subscription to try it out.

Recommend this program to any Garmin owner with a GPS/serial cable
or cable and USB converter.

Wish I'd asked this question years ago.

Cheers,
Sydney