PDA

View Full Version : Flight Schools in UK?

Carl Orton
July 21st 03, 03:57 AM
I have the opportunity to spend some time in England in the next few weeks,
and will be there for a weekend.

Anyone know of any flight schools in the vicinity of Preston, Huntingdon,
Lincoln, or Salisbury?

Thought I'd occupy my time in a constructive way and see a bit more of the
UK from on high.

Also, is UK dual time loggable (already have PP ASEL, so I'm not building
towards anything)? Just thought it would be neat to have a UK entry... ;-)
I know I can log anything I want, but just wondering if, in the future, it
could be counted towards anything.

Thanks;
Carl

Chris Walton
July 21st 03, 03:36 PM
Hey Carl,
I actually live relatively close to Huntingdon, there are a number of
airfields in the area which offer private flying. At the moment I fly from
RAF Wyton and Bourn.
This may help,
http://www.flyer.co.uk/directory/index.php

Chris

"Dylan Smith" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:57:22 -0500, Carl Orton > wrote:
> >Also, is UK dual time loggable (already have PP ASEL, so I'm not building
> >towards anything)? Just thought it would be neat to have a UK entry...
;-)

> If you have your PP-ASEL, it's not only loggable, but it is also PIC time
> (where you fill in both 'Dual Received' and 'Pilot in command' columns)
> if it's in a plane you're rated for (i.e. any light single).
>
> You also don't need to 'convert' your license to fly in the UK. You can
> fly on your FAA PPL with no paperwork. Of course, it's a good idea to sit
> down with the instructor and discuss the differences (mainly radio
> procedure) and the flying club will want to check you out - this tends
> to involve the same sort of things as a check out for a new FBO in
> the US will require (a few takeoffs and landings and maybe some air work).
> It depends on the club.
> See http://dylansmith.net/flyinguk - I did write this about 4 or 5
> years ago but the comments are still pretty much valid.
>
> Also note there aren't really FBOs in the UK, just flying clubs. Most
> have temporary memberships for visiting pilots.
>
> --
> Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
> Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
> Frontier Elite Universe: http://www.alioth.net
> "Maintain thine airspeed, lest the ground come up and smite thee"

July 23rd 03, 10:23 AM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:54:42 -0500, "Carl Orton" >
wrote:

>Thanks, all for the responses. With the links provided, I'll check into my
>options.
>
>Not concerned with solo flight or the checkout (since I'll probably only get
>one flight in anyway), but thought that with an instructor I could get a
>taste of the British airspace while doing some sightseeing and proficiency
>work.
>
>Carl
>
>"Carl Orton" > wrote in message
>> I have the opportunity to spend some time in England in the next few
>weeks,
>> and will be there for a weekend.
>>
>> Anyone know of any flight schools in the vicinity of Preston, Huntingdon,
>> Lincoln, or Salisbury?
>>
>> Thought I'd occupy my time in a constructive way and see a bit more of the
>> UK from on high.
>>
>> Also, is UK dual time loggable (already have PP ASEL, so I'm not building
>> towards anything)? Just thought it would be neat to have a UK entry...
>;-)
>> I know I can log anything I want, but just wondering if, in the future, it
>> could be counted towards anything.
>>
>> Thanks;
>> Carl

As somebody already mentioned there's frequently a club membership in
UK so make sure you check the cost!

In places like like US, Canad, New Zealand & Finland you just fly as
you are suggesting (I've done it many times in all these places).
Spain is the only country, I've tried, who wanted club membership
(about £70 for a year and no reduction for temporary!).

Expect much higher costs too, probably double what you are used to.

Hope you enjoy it.

David

Piper Warrior G-BHJO
Scotland, UK

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot

Google