PDA

View Full Version : Question

Chris
July 21st 03, 05:25 AM
I recently took a student pilot flying with me. He only has about 20 hours I
was wondering if it's legal to let him take the controls being I'm only a
private pilot. If so is there any possible way he could log this flight time
we do together. I realize it can't be dual being I'm not and
instructor....well just wondering thanks in advance for your response.

Peter Duniho
July 21st 03, 05:46 AM
"Chris" > wrote in message
> I recently took a student pilot flying with me. He only has about 20 hours
> was wondering if it's legal to let him take the controls being I'm only a
> private pilot. If so is there any possible way he could log this flight
time
> we do together.

You can let anyone handle the controls that you want, even a five year old.
No, your friend may not log the time at all (not for FAA purposes anyway).

Marty Ross
July 21st 03, 05:54 AM
Read the fine print on the insurance policy covering your flight -- an
insurance company might refuse to pay a claim if it finds our your student
took controls during the flight, as this may be prohibited in the policy,
and (in the view of the insurance company) could have caused or contributed
the accident.

"Chris" > wrote in message
> I recently took a student pilot flying with me. He only has about 20 hours
> was wondering if it's legal to let him take the controls being I'm only a
> private pilot. If so is there any possible way he could log this flight
time
> we do together. I realize it can't be dual being I'm not and
> instructor....well just wondering thanks in advance for your response.

Larry Dighera
July 21st 03, 01:12 PM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:25:14 -0400, "Chris" >
wrote in Message-Id: >:

>I recently took a student pilot flying with me. He only has about 20 hours I
>was wondering if it's legal to let him take the controls being I'm only a
>private pilot. If so is there any possible way he could log this flight time
>we do together. I realize it can't be dual being I'm not and
>instructor....well just wondering thanks in advance for your response.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/CurrentFARPart/1750F52A4637D2C586256959004BACCC?OpenDocument
Sec. 61.51

(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the
student pilot--
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties
of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight
crewmember;
ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under Sec. 61.87
of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating

--<space>

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,

Google