PDA

View Full Version : Re: Canadian PPL Medicals

RJ
July 21st 03, 03:23 PM
Call Transport Canada (877-855-4643) or a not too local TC authorized
doctor. Without giving your real name, ask if what supporting documentation
they need. Then see you regular doctor. The CARS say:
-
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/CARS/cars/t42402e.htm
3.8 The systolic and diastolic blood pressure shall be within normal limits.
NOTE: The use of drugs for control of high blood pressure is disqualifying
except for those drugs, the use of which according to accredited medical
conclusion, can be adequately tolerated by the applicant, are compatible
with the safe performance of duties and can be closely monitored by the
aviation medical examiner or a physician in communication with the Civil
Aviation Medicine Division Medical Staff.
-

Don't go for a medical with a known problem until you have this worked out
and a way around it. You'll just dig yourself into a hole that the only way
out is to fill it with paperwork. Lots of it. This applies to Canada and
the US.

COPA might be of some help. I don't think AOPA can help with Canadian
issues, other than provide some generic advice. The folks at TC are really
good people and not that hard to get along with, but they do have rules and
you have to follow them.

--
RJ

"Steve House" > wrote in message
> Beginning Canadian PPL student here who takes medication to control high
> blood pressure and is heading for his class 3 medical exam in a few weeks.
>
> After reading all the horror stories about the problems people have had
with
> medicals and the FAA beaurocracy in the States, I'm wondering if anyone
has
> any information or comments about the policies, experiences, and pitfalls
> with Canadian medicals for the PPL. Are they (Transport Canada, that is)
> more or less rigid and red tape bound up here or about the same? Does COPA
> have a similar program as AOPA's to assist pilots who have run into
hurdles
> with their medicals or if I join AOPA (I checked and they do accept
Canadian
> members) do they offer any of their assistance to members from north of
the
> border should problems arise?

Ron Natalie
July 21st 03, 07:41 PM
"Steve House" > wrote in message news:3f1be1e1$0$40279

> After reading all the horror stories about the problems people have had with
> medicals and the FAA beaurocracy in the States, I'm wondering if anyone has
> any information or comments about the policies, experiences, and pitfalls

Actually, hypertension meds are one of the more easier things to get approved in
the US.

Google