PDA

View Full Version : Seat height problem

Slav Inger
July 21st 03, 07:03 PM
Alright, I gotta ask this, even if it brings a few chuckles out of
y'all. I'm transitioning from PA-28-181 to a DA20-C1 (a stepping stone
to the DA40) and having a bit of a problem seeing ahead. I'm relatively
short (5'6.5") and I'm finding that the DA20 with its comfy recliner
seats is more of a problem than the Archer used to be (had a problem
there too before we got the adjustable seats). So, any suggestions on a
comfortable cushion that has decent thickness (I'm thinking about an
inch) and a small "footprint"? Surprisingly enough, I've never seen
something like this offered in any of the pilot supplies catalogs...

- Slav Inger
- PP ASEL IA @ YIP

Jim
July 21st 03, 08:41 PM
We've got a young fellow at STE that actually bought a boat trailer tire
inner-tube and he sits on that. He can inflate it or deflate it according
to what ever he needs. Sounds funny, but it works for him. My wife uses a
boat seat cushion.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Slav Inger" > wrote in message
> Alright, I gotta ask this, even if it brings a few chuckles out of
> y'all. I'm transitioning from PA-28-181 to a DA20-C1 (a stepping stone
> to the DA40) and having a bit of a problem seeing ahead. I'm relatively
> short (5'6.5") and I'm finding that the DA20 with its comfy recliner
> seats is more of a problem than the Archer used to be (had a problem
> there too before we got the adjustable seats). So, any suggestions on a
> comfortable cushion that has decent thickness (I'm thinking about an
> inch) and a small "footprint"? Surprisingly enough, I've never seen
> something like this offered in any of the pilot supplies catalogs...
>
> - Slav Inger
> - PP ASEL IA @ YIP

Bob Noel
July 21st 03, 10:09 PM
In article >, Slav Inger
> wrote:

> Alright, I gotta ask this, even if it brings a few chuckles out of
> y'all. I'm transitioning from PA-28-181 to a DA20-C1 (a stepping stone
> to the DA40) and having a bit of a problem seeing ahead. I'm relatively
> short (5'6.5") and I'm finding that the DA20 with its comfy recliner
> seats is more of a problem than the Archer used to be (had a problem
> there too before we got the adjustable seats). So, any suggestions on a
> comfortable cushion that has decent thickness (I'm thinking about an
> inch) and a small "footprint"? Surprisingly enough, I've never seen
> something like this offered in any of the pilot supplies catalogs...

and additional thing to look for is a taper - thick at the
back and thin in front so that your legs/knees don't get higher.
It took a while, but I found one for my cherokee, which doesn't
have the adjustable seats. It was carseat cushion.

--
Bob Noel

G.R. Patterson III
July 21st 03, 11:08 PM
Slav Inger wrote:

> So, any suggestions on a
> comfortable cushion that has decent thickness (I'm thinking about an
> inch) and a small "footprint"? Surprisingly enough, I've never seen
> something like this offered in any of the pilot supplies catalogs...

I sit on a boat seat cushion. It's about 2" thick. Also check sporting goods
shops that carry hunting supplies. I've seen a few nice cushions sold as
padding for deer stands. If you're in New Jersey, Efinger's Sporting Goods
in Bound Brook carries some.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

MikeC
July 22nd 03, 12:17 AM
Look at OregonAero.com. I've been looking at their cushions because parts of
me fall asleep after 3 hours in the seat. They have a two inch pad for
shorter pilots.

Mike Clapp
LVK

"Slav Inger" > wrote in message
> Alright, I gotta ask this, even if it brings a few chuckles out of
> y'all. I'm transitioning from PA-28-181 to a DA20-C1 (a stepping stone
> to the DA40) and having a bit of a problem seeing ahead. I'm relatively
> short (5'6.5") and I'm finding that the DA20 with its comfy recliner
> seats is more of a problem than the Archer used to be (had a problem
> there too before we got the adjustable seats). So, any suggestions on a
> comfortable cushion that has decent thickness (I'm thinking about an
> inch) and a small "footprint"? Surprisingly enough, I've never seen
> something like this offered in any of the pilot supplies catalogs...
>
> - Slav Inger
> - PP ASEL IA @ YIP

Jack Cunniff
July 22nd 03, 01:30 PM
We have one - it's extremely comfortable. Not inexpensive, but it does
exactly what it's supposed to, and is well made.

-Jack

"MikeC" > writes:

>Look at OregonAero.com. I've been looking at their cushions because parts of
>me fall asleep after 3 hours in the seat. They have a two inch pad for
>shorter pilots.

>Mike Clapp
>LVK

>"Slav Inger" > wrote in message
>> Alright, I gotta ask this, even if it brings a few chuckles out of
>> y'all. I'm transitioning from PA-28-181 to a DA20-C1 (a stepping stone
>> to the DA40) and having a bit of a problem seeing ahead. I'm relatively
>> short (5'6.5") and I'm finding that the DA20 with its comfy recliner
>> seats is more of a problem than the Archer used to be (had a problem
>> there too before we got the adjustable seats). So, any suggestions on a
>> comfortable cushion that has decent thickness (I'm thinking about an
>> inch) and a small "footprint"? Surprisingly enough, I've never seen
>> something like this offered in any of the pilot supplies catalogs...
>>
>> - Slav Inger
>> - PP ASEL IA @ YIP

blanche cohen
July 22nd 03, 02:27 PM
Check any local warehouse store (target, kmart, walmart, etc)
for outdoor lawn chairs. Cushions are available separately
in different widths and thicknesses.

Cheap, too.

john smith
July 22nd 03, 02:31 PM
Get a one-inch thick piece of Conforfoam/Temperfoam (choice of soft,
medium, hard).
Expensive, but comfortable.

Google