PDA

View Full Version : Re: Oh No! -- Straight Line Winds Jeopardize Iowa City Pool Party!

Rosspilot
July 21st 03, 09:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the mess, Jay . . . aside from the Inn's damage, how'd the
aircraft based at the airport fare?

www.Rosspilot.com

Jay Honeck
July 21st 03, 10:48 PM
> Sorry to hear about the mess, Jay . . . aside from the Inn's damage, how'd
the
> aircraft based at the airport fare?

I just checked with them -- they had thankfully put all the planes in
hangars last night, after watching the Weather Channel and seeing nothing
but reds and whites on the radar. Is that service, or what?

I wish we had done the same thing with our gazebo.... :(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Guy Elden Jr.
July 22nd 03, 02:21 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Straight line winds (or a small tornado) of almost 100 miles per hour tore
> through here last night, turning the inn into a complete shambles of
downed
> limbs, broken windows, and -- worst of all -- damage to our party area,
> jeopardizing this Sundays fly-in pool party!

Doh! I feel for ya, I really do... that mess of weather is bearing down on
NJ now, making me think that my practice checkride with my instructor
Tuesday night, then the real IR checkride on Wednesday night, might have to
wait til next week. We've had nothing but great IFR or great VFR weather all
summer, and bam, three days of forecast thunderstorms in a row! Just my
luck. . . :-(

Glad nobody was hurt out there...

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Big John
July 22nd 03, 02:32 AM
Jay

Seen on news where Ceder Rapids go hit very hard. How did their
airport and planes make out?

Big John

Also how did the Iowa City birds make out?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:55 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>Straight line winds (or a small tornado) of almost 100 miles per hour tore
>through here last night, turning the inn into a complete shambles of downed
>limbs, broken windows, and -- worst of all -- damage to our party area,
>jeopardizing this Sundays fly-in pool party!
>
>Yes, our poolside gazebo actually went AIRBORNE, flying completely over the
>pool and into the fence beyond, where it thankfully stopped before hitting
>the parked cars on the other side. The bar under the gazebo was actually
>blown over -- and this is a bar that two stout men have trouble standing
>upright once it's laid down.
>
>You could nearly have walked across the pool on the limbs that were blown
>into it... :( What a god-awful mess...
>
>Luckily, we have located another gazebo, and should have it assembled and
>installed before the party this Sunday. A crew of devoted helpers have
>spent the day cleaning the grounds and repairing damage. In short, NOTHING
>short of perdition will stop us from provided free beer to any pilot who
>stops on their way to Oshkosh, by cracky! :)
>
>And we've still got three suites left, for those who wish to spend the
>night...

Jim Weir
July 22nd 03, 03:00 AM
Jay...

If the forecast calls for it, and if we are willing to pay the price, there
**is** hangar space at IOW, is there not?

As to the pool party, hell, what does it take other than beer and friends. We
be there.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

hlongworth
July 22nd 03, 03:52 AM
Jay,
I just got home from work driving through country roads littered
with broken branches with flashes of lightning popped up every few
minutes. Saw your posting and could not even imagime the mess created
by the tornado. Sorry to hear about this terrible event. Hope that
everything is fully insured.

Hai

Jay Honeck
July 22nd 03, 03:05 PM
> If the forecast calls for it, and if we are willing to pay the price,
there
> **is** hangar space at IOW, is there not?

Yes!

> As to the pool party, hell, what does it take other than beer and friends.
We
> be there.

True -- but it always helps if the pool isn't full of debris! :)

We're putting the new gazebo together today. It's BIGGER and BETTER than
the old one -- so it will fly MUCH farther in the next tornado... ;)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

G.R. Patterson III
July 22nd 03, 04:05 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> We're putting the new gazebo together today. It's BIGGER and BETTER than
> the old one -- so it will fly MUCH farther in the next tornado... ;)

If it's going on a concrete slab, invest in some redhead-type anchors and
a cheap hammer drill. If not, invest in three mobile home anchors.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

jeff
July 22nd 03, 04:22 PM
Jay,
If you need it, I have one of those 12x12 freestanding canopies that
you would be welcome to borrow. Thinkin' about it, I also have a pull
behind charcoal/gas grill that you could use if you wish.
I need to go to North Liberty tomorrow, so I could drop it/them off if
you want.
Jeff

Montblack
July 22nd 03, 07:59 PM
(Ron Natalie wrote)
> > Wait! Wouldn't "mobile home" anchors actually *attract* tornadoes? :)

> Gee, hadn't figured itwas the anchors that do it. But it makes sense,
they work
> like lightning rods.

Only time those things are actually *mobile* is when they're in a tornado.

--
Montblack

Jim Weir
July 22nd 03, 08:12 PM
....and of course you guyses all know what a redneck divorce and a tornado have
in common....

....someone is going to lose a trailer.

{;-)

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

Jay Honeck
July 22nd 03, 08:32 PM
> If you need it, I have one of those 12x12 freestanding canopies that
> you would be welcome to borrow. Thinkin' about it, I also have a pull
> behind charcoal/gas grill that you could use if you wish.
> I need to go to North Liberty tomorrow, so I could drop it/them off if
> you want.

Thanks for the offer, man! But we JUST finished erecting our NEW and
IMPROVED gazebo, and our gas grill is poolside and ready to go!

Are you coming down for the shin-dig?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
July 25th 03, 05:12 AM
> I'll bet you didn't open a flight plan for the gazebo. Plus, I'll bet it
> was NORDO, and few a straight-in approach to the fence.

Worse, ATC vectored it there -- and then cut it loose into Class D airspace!
:)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dennis O'Connor
July 25th 03, 03:00 PM
Plus non TSO equipment, logbooks not up to date, no current annual, and
insufficient preflight inspection...
tsk tsk... at least a 90 day suspension...

"Brien K. Meehan" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Yes, our poolside gazebo actually went AIRBORNE, flying completely over
> the
> > pool and into the fence beyond, where it thankfully stopped before
hitting
> > the parked cars on the other side.
>
> Hmm.
>
> I'll bet you didn't open a flight plan for the gazebo. Plus, I'll bet it
> was NORDO, and few a straight-in approach to the fence.

Google