PDA

View Full Version : Houston to S. America, HF Radio?

Tom M
July 23rd 03, 01:38 AM
Can anyone tell me if airliners typically use HF radio on this route?

It cuts close to land at the Yucatan, but not sure how the ATC is
done. VHF or HF in the remote part of the route?

Thanks
Tom

Steve House
July 23rd 03, 02:22 PM
Can't say for sure but I'm an SWL and there's an awful lot of activity on
the HF frequencies from aircraft enroute over the Carribean and Gulf of
Mexico.

"Tom M" > wrote in message
om...
> Can anyone tell me if airliners typically use HF radio on this route?
>
> It cuts close to land at the Yucatan, but not sure how the ATC is
> done. VHF or HF in the remote part of the route?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Mike Culver
July 24th 03, 02:01 AM
I've flown to Uruguay twice on United, and regularly listen to Channel
9 (cockpit communications). All VHF, as far as I can tell. (And when I
fly to Europe, they pipe HF onto Channel 9)

(Tom M) wrote in message >...
> Can anyone tell me if airliners typically use HF radio on this route?
>
> It cuts close to land at the Yucatan, but not sure how the ATC is
> done. VHF or HF in the remote part of the route?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Newps
July 25th 03, 02:22 AM
I have a friend who flies 767's for Continental to Europe. They have
HF's but they only use them as they just go out over the ocean to test
and make sure they work. Otherwise all other communication with ATC is
via satellite. They check in at least one an hour via basically email
thru the satellite. If they want altitude changes it is also only an
email away.

(Tom M) wrote in message >...

>>>Can anyone tell me if airliners typically use HF radio on this route?
>>>
>>>It cuts close to land at the Yucatan, but not sure how the ATC is
>>>done. VHF or HF in the remote part of the route?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Tom

Capt. Doug
July 25th 03, 07:56 PM
>Tom M wrote in message > Can anyone tell me if airliners typically use HF
radio on >this route?

There is good VHF coverage over the Gulf in the flight levels. Low level
aircraft will typically relay position reports to overflying aircraft.
Nearing the Yucatan, the VHF coverage is comparable to service in the US.
The only times I used HF over the Caribbean were for sending company
messages and for setting my watch.

D.

Google