PDA

View Full Version : Canadians: Cost-sharing with passengers?

Drew Hamilton
July 23rd 03, 03:27 PM
I have always been under the assuption that I am allowed to split rental costs
with my passengers, as long as I would have been going flying anyways, even
without them.

However, upon closer examination of the CARs I fear that I may be wrong:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/cars/cars/401e.htm#401_28

Section 401.28 lays out the rules for reimbursement of costs incurred in
respect of a flight. One of subsections (2), (3), or (4) must be true
in order to receive reimbursement for flight costs. (3) and (4) deal
with flights conducted for your employer, and for non-profit charities,
respectively. (2) seems to be the only one that could apply.

But (2) only seems to apply to the owner or operator of an aircraft,
and not to a renter. Specifically it doesn't seem possible to split the
rental costs of a flight with your friends.

And "operator" doesn't mean "pilot-in-command", either, unfortunately. From
the Definitions in the CARs: "operator" - in respect of an aircraft, means the
person that has possession of the aircraft as owner, lessee or otherwise;
(utilisateur)

So it certainly seems to mean that I can't have my buddies chip in for
the rental costs of a flight if they decided to go flying with me...

Comments?

- awh

Steve House
July 24th 03, 09:05 AM
I'm curious if the situation changes if the pilot in question holds a
commercial ticket instead of a ppl but everything else is the same. Not
operating a business of providing transportation to the public as an air
taxi does but rather if on a casual basis a buddy says something like "I
need to get up to Sudbury tomorrow - if you'll rent the plane and fly us up
I'll cover the costs of the trip and your expenses" if that would be legal
for a commercial license holder.

"Doug FM" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Hi Drew,
>
> My flying club in Ottawa addressed this very issue not long ago. They put
> out a memo stating that it was okay if you split the cost of the rental
> equally with your buddies who went flying with you. What was bad (and
> illegal) was if they paid the entire cost of the rental flight and what
was
> worse (and really really illegal) was if in addition to paying for the
> flight, they paid YOU as well. That last example probably wouldn't apply
> a flight with friends but more if you decided to rent the plane and form
> your own little charter service, that's not good. They said in addition to
> violating the CAR's, it also voided their insurance.
>
> So, based on that and reading the CAR's with that in mind, I'd have to
> conclude that it was okay to split the cost with your friends. I certainly
> plan to do just that when I get my license which should be in a couple of
> weeks.... if my nerves don't get the best of me during the checkride that
> is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Doug
>
> "Drew Hamilton" > wrote in message
> > I have always been under the assuption that I am allowed to split rental
> costs
> > with my passengers, as long as I would have been going flying anyways,
> even
> > without them.
> >
> > However, upon closer examination of the CARs I fear that I may be wrong:
> >
> > http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/cars/cars/401e.htm#401_28
> >
> > Section 401.28 lays out the rules for reimbursement of costs incurred in
> > respect of a flight. One of subsections (2), (3), or (4) must be true
> > in order to receive reimbursement for flight costs. (3) and (4) deal
> > with flights conducted for your employer, and for non-profit charities,
> > respectively. (2) seems to be the only one that could apply.
> >
> > But (2) only seems to apply to the owner or operator of an aircraft,
> > and not to a renter. Specifically it doesn't seem possible to split the
> > rental costs of a flight with your friends.
> >
> > And "operator" doesn't mean "pilot-in-command", either, unfortunately.
> From
> > the Definitions in the CARs: "operator" - in respect of an aircraft,
> means the
> > person that has possession of the aircraft as owner, lessee or
otherwise;
> > (utilisateur)
> >
> > So it certainly seems to mean that I can't have my buddies chip in for
> > the rental costs of a flight if they decided to go flying with me...
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > - awh

David Megginson
July 24th 03, 08:23 PM
"Steve House" > writes:

> I'm curious if the situation changes if the pilot in question holds a
> commercial ticket instead of a ppl but everything else is the same. Not
> operating a business of providing transportation to the public as an air
> taxi does but rather if on a casual basis a buddy says something like "I
> need to get up to Sudbury tomorrow - if you'll rent the plane and fly us up
> I'll cover the costs of the trip and your expenses" if that would be legal
> for a commercial license holder.

I think you'd also have to get approved by Transport Canada as a
commercial operation, with a chief pilot, operations manual,
etc. etc., as well as getting the appropriate (much more expensive)
insurance on the plane.

All the best,

David

--