PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS Info

Jason Kennemer
July 23rd 03, 09:28 PM
After buying an iPaq and checking out the GPS abilities and flight planning
software, I think I'm going to take the thing back and opt for a Garmin or
similar dedicated GPS. I'll either get a cheap e6b handheld, or rely on the
whiz-wheel for on-board calculations and do my flight planning on line and
the old fashioned way.

My question: Does anyone know if Garmin will be announcing or releasing a
296 during OSH, similar to what they did with the transition from the 195 to
the 196? If not during OSH, then maybe in the near future? The reasons for
wanting a 196 w/color are obvious, so I won't go any further...

Thanks,

Jason Kennemer

Jeff
July 23rd 03, 11:35 PM
I dont think they are comming out with a 296, I have the 295 and its really nice
for a handheld. what is it that the 196 has that you cant get from the 295?

Jason Kennemer wrote:

> After buying an iPaq and checking out the GPS abilities and flight planning
> software, I think I'm going to take the thing back and opt for a Garmin or
> similar dedicated GPS. I'll either get a cheap e6b handheld, or rely on the
> whiz-wheel for on-board calculations and do my flight planning on line and
> the old fashioned way.
>
> My question: Does anyone know if Garmin will be announcing or releasing a
> 296 during OSH, similar to what they did with the transition from the 195 to
> the 196? If not during OSH, then maybe in the near future? The reasons for
> wanting a 196 w/color are obvious, so I won't go any further...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason Kennemer

Cub Driver
July 24th 03, 09:39 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:35:18 -0700, Jeff > wrote:

>what is it that the 196 has that you cant get from the 295?

The flight instruments?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

Ron Natalie
July 24th 03, 10:04 PM
"Steve House" > wrote in message ...
> The change in heading might be x degrees per second but that
> could be at a variety of different bank angles.
Assuming coordinated flight and knowing what the rate of turn and the airspeed
is, you can pretty nicely compute the bank angle. No it doesn't know for sure,
anymore than it knows which way the aircraft is really pointed (as opposed to
it's ground track).

Mutts
July 24th 03, 11:24 PM
An AI is not part of the instrument display page on the 196.

In article >,
says...

>Anyone know just how those flight instruments work? I can understand things
>like an altimeter looking readout of attitude and certainly the directional
>gyro and even a turn indicator and VSI etc. but I can't for the life of me
>figure out how one could derive an attitude indicator or bank indicator from
>GPS data. The change in heading might be x degrees per second but that
>could be at a variety of different bank angles. I might be climbing or
>descending at such and such a rate but that doesn't tell me anything about
>the position of the nose with respect to the horizon or the direction of the
>axis of the airplane. Anyone know how the GPS elves accomplish this magic?
>

>"Cub Driver" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:35:18 -0700, Jeff > wrote:
>>
>> >what is it that the 196 has that you cant get from the 295?
>>
>> The flight instruments?
>>
>> all the best -- Dan Ford
>> email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9
>>
>> see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
>> Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

Dennis O'Connor
July 25th 03, 03:04 PM
Also, the 196 has a better screen and is easier on batteries... The shape
works better for yoke mounting than the 295...
The flight instrument screen is "interesting", and just might save your
bacon if the gyros go away on a dark and stormy night - though you need to
practice with it... See my previous posts on this if you are interested...

Denny

"David Reinhart" > wrote in message
> The 196 has a faster processor and faster re-draw rate. It also has that
flight
> instrument screen that people seem to either love or hate. I haven't used
it so I
> can't offer an opinion.
>
> Dave Reinhart
>

> Jeff wrote:
>
> > I dont think they are comming out with a 296, I have the 295 and its
really nice
> > for a handheld. what is it that the 196 has that you cant get from the
295?

> > Jason Kennemer wrote:
> >
> > > After buying an iPaq and checking out the GPS abilities and flight
planning
> > > software, I think I'm going to take the thing back and opt for a
Garmin or
> > > similar dedicated GPS. I'll either get a cheap e6b handheld, or rely
on the
> > > whiz-wheel for on-board calculations and do my flight planning on line
and
> > > the old fashioned way.
> > >
> > > My question: Does anyone know if Garmin will be announcing or
releasing a
> > > 296 during OSH, similar to what they did with the transition from the
> > > the 196? If not during OSH, then maybe in the near future? The
reasons for
> > > wanting a 196 w/color are obvious, so I won't go any further...
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jason Kennemer

Google