PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first plane

Gilles Leblanc
July 23rd 03, 11:23 PM
Hello all, I'm new to this newsgroup thing (however, I'm a computer teacher
and should've registered earlier!!)

I am planning on buying my first plane and am looking or some advice on
buying in a partnership... good idea?? I've trained and flown mostly on a
Piper Cherokee and would like to buy one... anybody know where I should
start looking??

BTW, I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Anybody have any advice, please let
me know... thanks.

Gilles Leblanc

JimC
July 24th 03, 12:25 AM
It can take some time to find "your" plane. I looked for many months before
finding something that wasn't trashed and yet still at a reasonable price.
I checked the online Trade-a-Plane every day looking for new additions. The
additions appear online quite a bit earlier than in the printed version.

Good luck,

JimC

"Gilles Leblanc" > wrote in message
> Hello all, I'm new to this newsgroup thing (however, I'm a computer
teacher
> and should've registered earlier!!)
>
> I am planning on buying my first plane and am looking or some advice on
> buying in a partnership... good idea?? I've trained and flown mostly on a
> Piper Cherokee and would like to buy one... anybody know where I should
> start looking??
>
> BTW, I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Anybody have any advice, please
let
> me know... thanks.
>
> Gilles Leblanc

CVBreard
July 24th 03, 01:47 AM
>some advice on
>buying in a partnership... good idea??

Some of my fondest memories in flying involved airplanes that I owned in
partnerships with anywhere from one to four other pilots.

Most of the good aspects of outright sole ownerships, plus the fellowship of
your partners (select carefully, of course) and not taking 100% of the thumping
on the inevitable 'surprises' of ownership.

One person washing and waxing a Cherokee is a big job. Four or five
friends/partners washing and waxing a Cherokee is a PARTY!

You may want to gain 'owning' experience in a partnership before you move up
to sole ownership.

Montblack
July 24th 03, 01:47 AM
("Gilles Leblanc" wrote)
> Hello all, I'm new to this newsgroup thing (however, I'm a computer
teacher
> and should've registered earlier!!)

Also check in at rec.aviation.owning. Both good newsgroups.

If you haven't done so already, go to Google.com and click on Groups.

Then choose rec.
Then rec.aviation
Then rec.aviation.owning
Then grab a topic and read what's said in the thread.

Good luck ...and welcome to "The Group"

--
Montblack

paul desruisseaux
July 24th 03, 01:57 AM
First thing and most important one: FIND YOUR PARTNERS then the airplane
Paul

"Gilles Leblanc" > a écrit dans le message de
> Hello all, I'm new to this newsgroup thing (however, I'm a computer
teacher
> and should've registered earlier!!)
>
> I am planning on buying my first plane and am looking or some advice on
> buying in a partnership... good idea?? I've trained and flown mostly on a
> Piper Cherokee and would like to buy one... anybody know where I should
> start looking??
>
> BTW, I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Anybody have any advice, please
let
> me know... thanks.
>
> Gilles Leblanc

Ben Jackson
July 24th 03, 05:57 AM
In article >,
Gilles Leblanc > wrote:
>I am planning on buying my first plane and am looking or some advice on
>buying in a partnership... good idea??

Great idea if you can find the right partners. Beware slowly allowing
your purchasing threshold to creep up until you buy a plane yourself,
thought. :)

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

David Megginson
July 24th 03, 08:16 PM
"Gilles Leblanc" > writes:

> I am planning on buying my first plane and am looking or some advice
> on buying in a partnership... good idea?? I've trained and flown
> mostly on a Piper Cherokee and would like to buy one... anybody know
> where I should start looking??
>
> BTW, I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Anybody have any advice,
> please let me know... thanks.

I bought my Warrior II through Bruce Musgrave at Apex Aircraft
(Buttonville). In general, brokers have a bad reputation, but Bruce
seems to be an exception:

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/

Robert M. Gary
July 29th 03, 05:21 AM
Partnerships are great! Make sure you figure out all the details ahead
of time (before you buy the plane). The hardest part is finding 2+
people that are interested in the same type of plane. Try to keep it
under 4, the insurance tends to go up quite a bit after 4. Keeping it
under 4 helps people remember that they "own" the plane. The big 10+
partnerships tend to attracked the "renter" attitude.

"Gilles Leblanc" > wrote in message >...
> Hello all, I'm new to this newsgroup thing (however, I'm a computer teacher
> and should've registered earlier!!)
>
> I am planning on buying my first plane and am looking or some advice on
> buying in a partnership... good idea?? I've trained and flown mostly on a
> Piper Cherokee and would like to buy one... anybody know where I should
> start looking??
>
> BTW, I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Anybody have any advice, please let
> me know... thanks.
>
> Gilles Leblanc

Google