PDA

View Full Version : Re: "Compassion" call sign

paul desruisseaux
July 24th 03, 01:54 AM
Here in canada we "normaly" use HopeAir as www.hopeair.com
Paul

"James Blakely" > a écrit
dans le message de
> When flying for the likes of Angel Flight or Air Lifeline, one can use a
> modified tail number starting with the word "compassion." I was thinking
> about that the other day and I realized that I've never heard it used on
the
> radio.
>
> Has anyone heard the compassion call sign on the radio?
>
> Do the people who fly these missions use the compassion call sign?

Michael P. McCullough
July 24th 03, 03:31 AM
I have flown for both AngelFlight ("angel flight") and AirLifeLine
("compassion"). Theya re both great volunteer organizations. The call sign
is ONLY used when passengers are on board and the aircraft is performing a
mission. Repositioning flights require use of the regular N-number. More
info can be found at:

http://www.airlifeline.org
http://www.angelflightne.org

Mike McCullough

"James Blakely" > wrote in
message ...
> When flying for the likes of Angel Flight or Air Lifeline, one can use a
> modified tail number starting with the word "compassion." I was thinking
> about that the other day and I realized that I've never heard it used on
the
> radio.
>
> Has anyone heard the compassion call sign on the radio?
>
> Do the people who fly these missions use the compassion call sign?

Ryan Ferguson
July 24th 03, 05:09 AM
James Blakely wrote:

> Has anyone heard the compassion call sign on the radio?

Yes, I've flown as Compassion and even Lifeguard. The Compassion callsign
requires that you be on such a mission (Angel Flight, AirLifeLine, etc.) and
when filing your flight plan you drop the first few characters of your call-sign
in favor of "CMF". So if you normally file as N376ES, you'd become CMF6ES, or
Compassion Six Echo Sierra.

I used Lifeguard right after 9/11, attempting to fly a trauma surgeon
coordinator up to Teterboro, New York - I would have been one of very few
airplanes airborne near Ground Zero at that time, as it was just a few days
after the attack. Unfortunately my airplane's landing gear decided on that day
not to retract after takeoff, so I was unable to complete the mission.

-Ryan

John Godwin
July 25th 03, 12:11 AM
Peter R. > wrote in
ds.com:

> According to Angel Flight Northeast (out of Boston, MA), we are
> allowed to use the "Angel Flight" callsign when flying *to* the
> patients, as well as flying with the patients.
>
> Not allowed to use it on the deadhead home.

When I gave Mission Orientations for Angel Flight West they had the same
guidelines. From your home base to the end of the mission, you were
considered "Angel Flight"

--
John Godwin
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT from email address)

John Godwin
July 25th 03, 08:19 PM
"James M. Knox" > wrote in
:

> The new standard for Angel Flight (via Angel Flight America) is that it
> is only to be used on an actual ANGEL FLIGHT leg, i.e. with a patient or
> blood or whatever the mission calls for on board. *ALL* other legs
> should be flown under the regular N# callsign. [Some regions may not
> have gotten their policies and guidebooks updated yet, much less having
> read them.]

It seems as if Amgel Flight West hasn't updated their guidelines yet. The
web page <http://www.angelflight.org/call_sign.html> still has the old
info.

--
John Godwin
Silicon Rallye Inc.

Craig Prouse
July 27th 03, 12:58 AM
John Godwin wrote:

> "James M. Knox" > wrote in
> :
>
>> The new standard for Angel Flight (via Angel Flight America) is that it
>> is only to be used on an actual ANGEL FLIGHT leg, i.e. with a patient or
>> blood or whatever the mission calls for on board. *ALL* other legs
>> should be flown under the regular N# callsign. [Some regions may not
>> have gotten their policies and guidebooks updated yet, much less having
>> read them.]
>
> It seems as if Amgel Flight West hasn't updated their guidelines yet. The
> web page <http://www.angelflight.org/call_sign.html> still has the old
> info.

The page you cite says, "The ANGEL FLIGHT call sign may be used during a
positioning or ferry flight only when the flight is time critical. For
instance, when flying to another airport to pick-up cargo or passengers that
is time critical but not life threatening."

James M. Knox
July 28th 03, 02:51 PM
(Michael) wrote in news:449a3d6e.0307251025.6d2a0f98
@posting.google.com:

> "James M. Knox" > wrote
>> FWIW, I argued the opposite - that since it conveys no specific
>> privilege or priority, that we should use it on all flights during which
>> we are representing Angel Flight
>
> That makes a lot of sense - but contradicts my experience. I find
> that when I use the NGF call sign, I get significantly better
> treatment as a VFR operator (no difference IFR).

So do I. When I said "conveys no specific privilege or priority" I meant
that in the 7110.65 official policy sense. Within the FAA framework NGF
means the same as "Gator" or "Critter" or "Delta". Just tells them which
*company* you are flying for.

However, especially as more and more controllers become familiar with us,
they really do seem to go out of their way to be helpful. It's very much
appreciated, and a benefit we want to be careful not to abuse.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721