PDA

View Full Version : You guys were right -- thanks!

Jay Honeck
July 24th 03, 02:55 AM
Well, to those of you who told me "You should publish some of your posts"
over the years, I can only say a big "Thanks!"

I took your advice, submitted an article to one of the aviation mags (about
our flight into Dayton last spring), and -*voila*- I am now sitting on the
first $75.00 check that my (formerly useless) English degree has ever
(directly) generated!

So what if it's only beer money -- what the heck -- I had written it anyway
for this group! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

BruceG
July 24th 03, 03:46 AM
Best of all, now you're a "Published Author." If nothing else, it'll look
good in the obit someday (far off in the future).
Congrats.

Bruce
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Well, to those of you who told me "You should publish some of your posts"
> over the years, I can only say a big "Thanks!"
>
> I took your advice, submitted an article to one of the aviation mags
(about
> our flight into Dayton last spring), and -*voila*- I am now sitting on the
> first $75.00 check that my (formerly useless) English degree has ever
> (directly) generated!
>
> So what if it's only beer money -- what the heck -- I had written it
anyway
> for this group! :-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

BTIZ
July 24th 03, 04:38 AM
plus being "published".. you are more likely to get other articles
published..

BT

"BruceG" > wrote in message
> Best of all, now you're a "Published Author." If nothing else, it'll look
> good in the obit someday (far off in the future).
> Congrats.
>
> Bruce
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Well, to those of you who told me "You should publish some of your
posts"
> > over the years, I can only say a big "Thanks!"
> >
> > I took your advice, submitted an article to one of the aviation mags
> (about
> > our flight into Dayton last spring), and -*voila*- I am now sitting on
the
> > first $75.00 check that my (formerly useless) English degree has ever
> > (directly) generated!
> >
> > So what if it's only beer money -- what the heck -- I had written it
> anyway
> > for this group! :-)
> > --
> > Jay Honeck
> > Iowa City, IA
> > Pathfinder N56993
> > www.AlexisParkInn.com
> > "Your Aviation Destination"

Gilles KERMARC
July 24th 03, 06:38 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I took your advice, submitted an article to one of the aviation mags

Which one ? (Some of us don't subscribe to all of them...)

Jay Honeck
July 24th 03, 02:59 PM
> Which one ? (Some of us don't subscribe to all of them...)

Actually it's a new one (the inaugural issue, no less!) called "Flying Life
Magazine". I've received a tear-sheet from the printed article, and the
check, but I haven't actually seen the magazine yet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 24th 03, 03:22 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> Well, to those of you who told me "You should publish some of your posts"
> over the years, I can only say a big "Thanks!"

Congrats, Jay!

I really think that "Final Flight" post should go somewhere also.

Cheers,
Sydney

Jay Honeck
July 24th 03, 04:45 PM
> Congrats, Jay!

Thanks! I'm pretty tickled myself. (And I took that $75 and went out and
bought myself something REALLY exciting -- a 12-volt-to-110-volt converter
so I can run my laptop in the plane and at OSH. Woo-woo! :)

> I really think that "Final Flight" post should go somewhere also.

Yeah, I thought so too -- but the editor sent me back a list of things they
wanted me to change/expand/delete, so I filed it away... If I have time
someday I'll send it to the other mags...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Maule Driver
July 24th 03, 08:22 PM
I second that emotion. Any post that gets a tear here can't require that
much editing. Maybe just needs the right pub.

Congrats Jay!

"Sydney Hoeltzli" > wrote in message

> I really think that "Final Flight" post should go somewhere also.

vincent p. norris
July 25th 03, 04:54 AM
> I am now sitting on the first $75.00 check that my (formerly useless) English degree has ever
>(directly) generated!

Jay, you just don't realize how useful your liberal education has been
to you. If it was a *good* liberal education, it taught you to think,
a skill that is useful to anyone, even a pilot.

vince norris.

Jay Honeck
July 25th 03, 05:23 AM
> Jay, you just don't realize how useful your liberal education has been
> to you. If it was a *good* liberal education, it taught you to think,
> a skill that is useful to anyone, even a pilot.

I know, Vince. I may be the last man in America that actually WANTS my
children to receive a liberal arts education. (Of course, Mary would have a
bird about this. Her B.S. degree has always paid off directly, while mine
has always been completely indirect.)

I'm firmly convinced that a liberal arts degree teaches one to tactically
and strategically think. This is truly far more useful in the "real" world
than the straight-line logic of the sciences -- although I admire them, too.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Don Tuite
July 25th 03, 05:48 AM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 04:23:20 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>I'm firmly convinced that a liberal arts degree teaches one to tactically
>and strategically think.

And to create willly-nilly, double-barreled split infinitives without
experiencing an iota of regret for outdated Latin paradigms.

Don

Jay Honeck
July 25th 03, 05:59 AM
> And to create willly-nilly, double-barreled split infinitives without
> experiencing an iota of regret for outdated Latin paradigms.

Dang it, Don, I don't know what the HELL you're talking about -- but it sure
*sounds* great! :)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Larry Fransson
July 25th 03, 06:41 AM
In article <Yg2Ua.139282$ye4.98549@sccrnsc01>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> I'm firmly convinced that a liberal arts degree teaches one to tactically
> and strategically think.

You think that a scientific degree doesn't do that as well?

More than anything else, I value my college education not for the
knowledge I gained from it, for much of that is filed away in the
archives where it's difficult to find. I value my education for the way
it taught me to use take the resources I have available to me and use
them to solve the problems before me.

--
Larry Fransson
Bachelor of Science

Dylan Smith
July 25th 03, 11:56 AM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 04:59:37 GMT, Jay Honeck > wrote:
>> And to create willly-nilly, double-barreled split infinitives without
>> experiencing an iota of regret for outdated Latin paradigms.
>
>Dang it, Don, I don't know what the HELL you're talking about -- but it sure
>*sounds* great! :)

Aren't "Paradigms" a kind of potato crisp (chip)?
:-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

David Megginson
July 25th 03, 12:18 PM
"Jay Honeck" > writes:

> I know, Vince. I may be the last man in America that actually WANTS
> my children to receive a liberal arts education. (Of course, Mary
> would have a bird about this. Her B.S. degree has always paid off
> directly, while mine has always been completely indirect.)

Stick with it.

No matter what field your kids go into, however technical, there is a
point somewhere on the promotion path between Exploited Intern and
Senior VP where most of the job becomes reading and writing: once they
have responsibility for projects and coworkers (i.e. they're no longer
at the bottom of the food chain), they will have to write performance
reviews, proposals, project plans, press releases, RFPs, annual
reports, progress reports, funding requests, and all kinds of other
things. If they know how to write clearly and communicate
efficiently, they will be able to keep moving up; otherwise, they
might end up angry and bitter, stuck near the entry level forever.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/

David Megginson
July 25th 03, 12:21 PM
"Henry Kisor" > writes:

> Don means that the absurd grammar-Nazi "rule" about split
> infinitives has no real basis in English except that it was a Latin
> grammar rule. And we all know what happened to that language.

It became French.

All the best,

David

p.s. ... and Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, Catalan, and
probably a few others I've forgotten, but just "French" is funnier.

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/

Jay Honeck
July 25th 03, 02:20 PM
> No matter what field your kids go into, however technical, there is a
> point somewhere on the promotion path between Exploited Intern and
> Senior VP where most of the job becomes reading and writing: once they
> have responsibility for projects and coworkers (i.e. they're no longer
> at the bottom of the food chain), they will have to write performance
> reviews, proposals, project plans, press releases, RFPs, annual
> reports, progress reports, funding requests, and all kinds of other
> things. If they know how to write clearly and communicate
> efficiently, they will be able to keep moving up; otherwise, they
> might end up angry and bitter, stuck near the entry level forever.

Precisely!

And, in Mary's less emotional moments, she will admit that this is true.
But she still likes the fact that her B.S. has always provided a steady
income, while my B.A. has provided stellar periods of success separated by
mid-length periods of hardship.

You'd think after starting three businesses, she'd be used to that by now...
;)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 25th 03, 02:31 PM
Dylan Smith wrote:
> Aren't "Paradigms" a kind of potato crisp (chip)?

I thought it was 20 cents :)

Sydney

vincent p. norris
July 26th 03, 02:18 AM
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
>
>> I'm firmly convinced that a liberal arts degree teaches one to tactically
>> and strategically think.

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:41:41 GMT, Larry Fransson
> wrote:
>
>You think that a scientific degree doesn't do that as well?

Ah, but a true liberal education includes science! No education can
be considered "liberal" that does not include a strong science and
math component.

At Penn State, a candidate for a Bachelor of ARTS degree must more
science courses than quite a few Bachelor of SCIENCE candidates!

vince norris

BruceG
July 26th 03, 03:13 AM
Where I went to school, even the English Majors ended up getting Bachelor of
Science degrees. I've got a BS in management.

Bruce

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> > "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm firmly convinced that a liberal arts degree teaches one to
tactically
> >> and strategically think.
>
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:41:41 GMT, Larry Fransson
> > wrote:
> >
> >You think that a scientific degree doesn't do that as well?
>
> Ah, but a true liberal education includes science! No education can
> be considered "liberal" that does not include a strong science and
> math component.
>
> At Penn State, a candidate for a Bachelor of ARTS degree must more
> science courses than quite a few Bachelor of SCIENCE candidates!
>
> vince norris

Tom S.
July 26th 03, 11:20 AM
"Montblack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Think people!!!
>
> Aviation newsgroup ...duh!
>
> It's a bird of prey.
>
> --
> Montblack
>
> (Sydney Hoeltzli wrote)
> > > Aren't "Paradigms" a kind of potato crisp (chip)?
> >
> > I thought it was 20 cents :)

Hell, I thought it was a couple of ditch diggers.

Tom
--
"Transported to a surreal landscape, a young
girl kills the first woman she meets and then

Henry Kisor
July 26th 03, 11:41 AM
Jay, what sorts of changes did the editor want? I'm an editor as well as a
writer whose stuff is subject to editing, and there are certain strictures
magazines require to reflect their style. Some of these strictures make
sense but sometimes an editor wants changes just to show the writer who has
the real power.

"Sydney Hoeltzli" > wrote in message
> Jay Honeck wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I thought so too -- but the editor sent me back a list of things
they
> > wanted me to change/expand/delete, so I filed it away...
>
> So start by sending it to a different editor.
>
> Wonder if aviation mags have editors at Oshkosh or only reporters?
>
> Cheers,
> Sydney

Jay Honeck
July 26th 03, 02:30 PM
> Jay, what sorts of changes did the editor want? I'm an editor as well as a
> writer whose stuff is subject to editing, and there are certain strictures
> magazines require to reflect their style. Some of these strictures make
> sense but sometimes an editor wants changes just to show the writer who
has
> the real power.

Um, let's see if I can remember. I think they wanted me to "expand a bit
more about the old man's life" (impossible, since he's long gone), and they
wanted to remove any reference to the hotel (they saw it as self-serving,
although, of course, the whole reason I KNEW the guy was because I was
picking him up, dropping him off, and letting him use my hotel van), and a
couple of other little things.

I just told them "never mind." Since I'm not doing this for money, I don't
really care WHAT the editor thinks -- if they like it, great. If they don't
like it, great. No difference to me! :)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Rod Madsen
July 26th 03, 02:49 PM

> I just told them "never mind." Since I'm not doing this for money, I
don't
> really care WHAT the editor thinks -- if they like it, great. If they
don't
> like it, great. No difference to me! :)

That's great. You stuck to your guns. What was their response? (Guess
maybe I missed the beginning of this thread)

Rod

Jay Honeck
July 27th 03, 04:30 AM
> That's great. You stuck to your guns. What was their response? (Guess
> maybe I missed the beginning of this thread)

Silence.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Grumman-581
July 27th 03, 06:34 AM
"BruceG" wrote ...
> I've got a BS in management.

Isn't that kind of redundant?

Jay Honeck
July 28th 03, 05:45 AM
> I can't think of anything better than making money from a hobby you
> love.
>
> Congrats Jay, and here's to many more.

Hey -- I just got word that they bought "Final Flight". :)

They claim to have "edited unnecessary references to the inn", which has me
somewhat alarmed, but I've asked to see what, exactly they've edited. It'll
be interesting to see what happens.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

jeff
July 28th 03, 10:50 PM

> And, in Mary's less emotional moments, she will admit that this is true.
> But she still likes the fact that her B.S. has always provided a steady
> income, while my B.A. has provided stellar periods of success separated by
> mid-length periods of hardship.
>
> You'd think after starting three businesses, she'd be used to that by now...

My CFI states that some folks decide to continue with schoolin' in
order to learn more and more, about less and less, until they know
virtually everything about virtually nothing.

Interesting thought.

Jeff

Google