PDA

View Full Version : Re: parking in Houston for a week

Tom Hughes
July 24th 03, 05:18 AM
Do not really have specific info for you, but I am a frequent visitor
(ramp rat-photo) to Hooks and it looks like they have plenty of long
term parking. I will probably be out there tomorrow afternoon, and I
can ask for you. Hooks is a first class operation. A lot of military
training types frequent the field daily. Great blue-plate specials.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:59:47 -0400, Matt Emerson >
wrote:

>I'm planning to fly the old Mooney down to Houston this weekend or
>next, and stay for about a week to visit in-laws and college friends.
>The in-laws live near IAH, but I don't think I want to go to IAH.
>
>Weiser looks the most inviting, but I understand that there's not a
>lot of parking space for transients. I could go to Hooks easily
>enough---do any locals know what the parking situation is there? I'd
>be happy to pay something like $10--$15 a day to stay in a hangar, but
>I don't know if anything like that is available.
>
>I like the looks of Fletcher at Hobby, but that's on the other side of
>town, and not too convenient.
>
>Any advice would be most welcome.
>
>--
>Matt Emerson

SMSgt Thomas L Hughes (Ret)
210th PA. Vol. Inf
www.geocities.com/wallstreet/3958/penn210.html
"A transplanted Yankee deep in enemy territory"(TX)

Maule Driver
July 24th 03, 02:41 PM
I've stayed at Weiser twice for a few days - my brother lives nearby. Nice
airport, nice people, didn't have a parking problem but it does look tight.
Both times there seemed to be 1-2 transient spots available. Maybe I just
got lucky.

My strategy these days is to pick the closest airport to my destination,
show up, sort it out. And if the place doesn't look right, is too
expensive, unfriendly, I relocate. Relocation in VFR conditions is probably
the easiest thing to in an a/c. It's been working for me so far. It has
pushed me into some major airports at times and I've been pleasantly
surprised. Pushed me to some small ones too where it has been very nice
too. I wonder how IAH is for a small single?

"Matt Emerson" > wrote in message
> I'm planning to fly the old Mooney down to Houston this weekend or
> next, and stay for about a week to visit in-laws and college friends.
> The in-laws live near IAH, but I don't think I want to go to IAH.
>
> Weiser looks the most inviting, but I understand that there's not a
> lot of parking space for transients. I could go to Hooks easily
> enough---do any locals know what the parking situation is there? I'd
> be happy to pay something like $10--$15 a day to stay in a hangar, but
> I don't know if anything like that is available.
>
> I like the looks of Fletcher at Hobby, but that's on the other side of
> town, and not too convenient.
>
> Any advice would be most welcome.
>
> --
> Matt Emerson

Tom Hughes
July 24th 03, 03:27 PM
According to Valarie this AM, if you purchase fuel from them, there is
no charge for parking. You may want to confirm this again. Call
1-800-624-7394.

wrote:

>I'm planning to fly the old Mooney down to Houston this weekend or
>next, and stay for about a week to visit in-laws and college friends.
>The in-laws live near IAH, but I don't think I want to go to IAH.
>
>Weiser looks the most inviting, but I understand that there's not a
>lot of parking space for transients. I could go to Hooks easily
>enough---do any locals know what the parking situation is there? I'd
>be happy to pay something like $10--$15 a day to stay in a hangar, but
>I don't know if anything like that is available.
>
>I like the looks of Fletcher at Hobby, but that's on the other side of
>town, and not too convenient.
>
>Any advice would be most welcome.
>
>--
>Matt Emerson

SMSgt Thomas L Hughes (Ret)
210th PA. Vol. Inf
www.geocities.com/wallstreet/3958/penn210.html
"A transplanted Yankee deep in enemy territory"(TX)

Tom Hughes
July 24th 03, 03:40 PM
According to Valarie this AM, parking is free if you purchase fuel
from them. But I would verify that before leaving.

wrote:

>I'm planning to fly the old Mooney down to Houston this weekend or
>next, and stay for about a week to visit in-laws and college friends.
>The in-laws live near IAH, but I don't think I want to go to IAH.
>
>Weiser looks the most inviting, but I understand that there's not a
>lot of parking space for transients. I could go to Hooks easily
>enough---do any locals know what the parking situation is there? I'd
>be happy to pay something like $10--$15 a day to stay in a hangar, but
>I don't know if anything like that is available.
>
>I like the looks of Fletcher at Hobby, but that's on the other side of
>town, and not too convenient.
>
>Any advice would be most welcome.
>
>--
>Matt Emerson

Tom Hughes
Tomball,Tx.

Michael
July 24th 03, 08:00 PM
"Maule Driver" > wrote
> I wonder how IAH is for a small single?

Just fine, actually. Done it several times. Garett Aviation is great
- once, when I had my TriPacer there and the weather got bad, they
even put it in the hangar free of charge. Unless it's very early/late
and only one person is on duty, they're always happy to drop off/pick
up at the terminal. I think the official parking rate is $15/day, but
I don't think I've ever been charged that much.

Michael

Matt Emerson
July 24th 03, 11:26 PM
(Michael) writes:

> "Maule Driver" > wrote
>> I wonder how IAH is for a small single?
>
> Just fine, actually. Done it several times. Garett Aviation is
> great - once, when I had my TriPacer there and the weather got bad,
> they even put it in the hangar free of charge.
[..]
>I think the official parking rate is $15/day, but I don't think I've
>ever been charged that much.

Well, I'm thinking I'll give it a whirl, then. Thanks, everyone,
for the comments.

I'll be sure to post about it.

--
Matt Emerson

H. Adam Stevens
July 25th 03, 02:44 AM
parking in houston is too long

"Matt Emerson" > wrote in message
> (Michael) writes:
>
> > "Maule Driver" > wrote
> >> I wonder how IAH is for a small single?
> >
> > Just fine, actually. Done it several times. Garett Aviation is
> > great - once, when I had my TriPacer there and the weather got bad,
> > they even put it in the hangar free of charge.
> [..]
> >I think the official parking rate is $15/day, but I don't think I've
> >ever been charged that much.
>
> Well, I'm thinking I'll give it a whirl, then. Thanks, everyone,
> for the comments.
>
> I'll be sure to post about it.
>
> --
> Matt Emerson