PDA

View Full Version : another data point for VFR FF and S&R

Kyler Laird
July 25th 03, 03:18 PM
Flew to Ohio and back yesterday for dinner. Returning to LAF while on
Following with Chicago Center (123.85), I announced that I had the field
in sight. The response was to switch to advisory frequency and to
notify Center on the rollout. After landing, I dutifully called up on
the same frequency (new RCO?) and told the controller know I'd gotten
down safely.

I should have asked what would have happened if I hadn't called, but it
had been a long day. Next time.

--kyler

Steven P. McNicoll
July 25th 03, 05:49 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> The biggest problem is that they'd probably not allow any further IFR
arrivals.
> They're supposed to notice if you don't cancel or pop up on the missed,
but
> in the past it has happened that a plane went down after being cleared for
> the approach (the pilot even made comment to the fact that he expected
> he'd probably be back in a few minutes on the missed) and ATC forgot about
> him and unfortunately he crashed.

Check the subject line.

JerryK
July 25th 03, 09:03 PM
I always assumed that Flight Following was for traffic advisories only. To
have someone come look for you, a Flight Plan needed to be filed and
activated.

jerry

"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> Flew to Ohio and back yesterday for dinner. Returning to LAF while on
> Following with Chicago Center (123.85), I announced that I had the field
> in sight. The response was to switch to advisory frequency and to
> notify Center on the rollout. After landing, I dutifully called up on
> the same frequency (new RCO?) and told the controller know I'd gotten
> down safely.
>
> I should have asked what would have happened if I hadn't called, but it
> had been a long day. Next time.
>
> --kyler

Steven P. McNicoll
July 26th 03, 02:29 PM
"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message

> O.k., so what is it that you contend would have happen if I hadn't
> checked in as requested? Nothing? He just asked me to do it to
> see if I would?

The controller that told you to notify Center on the rollout did so
completely on his own. He wasn't following any established national policy
or procedure. To find out what would have happened if you didn't check in
you'd have to ask him.

Google