PDA

View Full Version : Atlas V (AV029) Juno rollout to pad 41 110804 av_juno_r8.jpg

J Three
August 7th 11, 06:53 PM

J.B. Mentzer
August 21st 11, 08:38 AM
Neat set of pictures. These photos depict an interesting example of
solving the crawler problem with off-the-shelf equipment. Beneath the
launch platform are parallel railroad tracks, but to U.S. standard
gauge. The platform rides on freight car trucks, though the wheels and
bearings appear to be bigger for their special duty.

Following the platform are a pair of highway trailers mounted on freight
car trucks, similar to the RoadRailer system. These trailers have
highway registration plates. Perhaps when the equipment on board needs
servicing, the trailer can be moved over the road in normal
tractor-trailer fashion?

Any model railroaders here? If you'd like to add a launch site to your
layout, the Trackmobiles are available in HO scale:
<http://factorydirecttrains.com/12-6021BLI6021UnletteredTrackmobileDCVersionHOPREORDE R.aspx>

J Three ... Are these photos in the public domain. Would NASA mind if I
reposted a few of these on trainorders.com? I like to see what the
membership there can tell me about the trucks under the launch platform.

Thanks,

* JB *

On 8/7/11 13:53 , J Three wrote:

Google