PDA

View Full Version : B is for Governor candidate Jim Weir

Montblack
August 12th 03, 05:12 AM
"W"eir = letter B ...sort-of.

The recall alphabet: R, W, Q, O, J, M, V, A, H, B, S, G, Z, X, N, T, C, I,
E, K, U, P, D, Y, F, L.

(various paragraphs snipped from CNN.com)
Under the California election process, here's how the voting will work: The
candidates' names will be alphabetized based on the alphabet that was
selected Monday, with the candidates' second and following letters being
looked at according to the same list if needed to determine the order within
each group of initial letters.

Officials will then make 80 different lists -- one for each of the state's
voting districts -- by moving each name on top of one list to the bottom of
the next.

Not all candidates will see their name at the top of a list, however, since
there are more than 80 candidates.

The new alphabet means plenty of confusion for voters who come to the polls.
Short of memorizing the recall alphabet, they'll have to scroll through the
entire list of names carefully to find the name they're looking for.

It could all be for naught, however, if California voters buck a poll that
shows 64 percent saying they will vote to recall Gov. Gray Davis, the first
choice on a two-part ballot. The second part, of course, is to pick one of
the many candidates to replace him, a logistical nightmare for elections
officials and a brain teaser for voters.

If the recall succeeds, the candidate with the most votes -- no majority is
necessary -- will take over as governor immediately and serve the remaining
three years of Davis' term.

--
Montblack
I really "like to watch" this political stuff

C J Campbell
August 12th 03, 04:34 PM
"Cecil E. Chapman" > wrote in message
.. .
| >no majority is
| > necessary -- will take over as governor immediately and serve the
| remaining
| > three years of Davis' term.
|
| Always amazes me when I see a line like this, the voter turnout is
| consistently so poor in this country that candidates are put in power with
| votes from the minority of the population

Why does this amaze you? Countries with extremely high voter turnouts are
invariably oppressive regimes like Soviet Russia, Iraq, or Nazi Germany.

Peter Duniho
August 12th 03, 06:50 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> Why does this amaze you? Countries with extremely high voter turnouts are
> invariably oppressive regimes like Soviet Russia, Iraq, or Nazi Germany.

Funny that you would lump Singapore in with those other three countries.
Strict, yes. Oppressive? I don't think so.

Maybe "invariably" doesn't mean what you think it means.

I'll bet if I knew the voter turn-out rates for every country in the world
where voting occurs, I'd be able to provide a lot more counter-examples.

Pete

Cecil E. Chapman
August 12th 03, 07:12 PM
>Nazi Germany.

Interesting that you mention them,,,, don't we have a Fatherland Security
Administration (oops I mean 'Homeland' security,,, sounds kinda similar...
:-/) ,now and that embarrassing mandatory registration of middle eastern
folks shortly after 9-1-1. Heck, I'm surprised that Bush, that good ole boy,
didn't demand they be loaded into trains like that fellow with the mustache
did. Last I checked one was innocent before being proved guilty... whole
thing turns my stomach,,, stakes are being driven into the very heart of The
Constitution of The United States and the general public is more concerned
with whether Britney Spears breasts are real and if J-Lo and Afleck are
breaking up....... Sheesh, too many dumb sheep....!

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

Hamish Reid
August 12th 03, 07:35 PM
In article >,
"C J Campbell" > wrote:

[...]

> Why does this amaze you? Countries with extremely high voter turnouts are
> invariably oppressive regimes like Soviet Russia, Iraq, or Nazi Germany.

Or Australia... oops.

Hamish (one-time Australian, where the turnout often exceeded 90%)

Bob Noel
August 12th 03, 09:32 PM
In article >, "Cecil E.
Chapman" > wrote:

> P.S. as an aside.... remember that PATRIOT ACT and 'MCCARTHYISM' have
> almost the same number of letters

ah, proof that the Patriot Act is evil.

--
Bob Noel

Larry Fransson
August 13th 03, 06:02 AM
In article >,
Bob Noel > wrote:

> > P.S. as an aside.... remember that PATRIOT ACT and 'MCCARTHYISM' have
> > almost the same number of letters
>
> ah, proof that the Patriot Act is evil.

Wow, and JOURNALISM has exactly the same number of letters as PATRIOT
ACT, and EDUCATION has almost as many. This is getting scary!

--
Larry Fransson
Aviation software for Mac OS X!

Jeff Franks
August 13th 03, 06:12 AM
<some stuff clipped here>

> and that embarrassing mandatory registration of middle eastern
> folks shortly after 9-1-1. Heck, I'm surprised that Bush, that good ole
boy,
> didn't demand they be loaded into trains like that fellow with the
mustache
> did.

So, what would you do? When the enemy is 99.9999999% (no that's not a
varifiable number, but you get the point) young middle eastern men, then
shouldn't we take a harder look at the people that come into our country
(citizens aside) and determine their motives? I don't feel that it is
anyway comparable to Hitler. It only makes good common sense.

Cecil E. Chapman
August 14th 03, 07:55 AM
> So, what would you do? When the enemy is 99.9999999% (no that's not a
> verifiable number, but you get the point) young middle eastern men,

The thread (my fault, mostly) is going way beyond the original scope of the
original post,,, so this is the last nugget I'll share on this.

Why do we have such short memories when it comes to U.S. History,,,, some
of the older members of our group might be able to recall the movement of
U.S. citizens who happened to be Japanese sent to interment camps though
they had violated no law and not been tried or convicted of any treason -
but simply had different eyes than the white folk that tossed them into
interment camps during the war with Japan. These people lost homes and
property and endured unjust detainment.

I'm just saying,,, innocent until proven guilty,,,, investigations using due
process of law - searches with writs/warrants.

Benjamin Franklin said it best: "Those that would trade essential liberty
for a little temporary security... deserver neither!"

And the tag line of that Pledge of Allegiance ....... and justice for
ALL....

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

Cecil E. Chapman
August 14th 03, 08:09 AM
"Jim Weir" > wrote in message

> Oh, for corn sake, please get this crap out of anything with my name on
it,
> please?
>
> Jim

Yes, but if you became governor more crap than you can imagine would land on
your lap from good ole' Gray Davis. It will be mentioned in conjunction
with your name in the newspapers, indeed if one becomes a politician they
automatically turn into flypaper so that any crap that goes on (regardless
of whether they had anything to do with it or not) will readily adhere to
their person.

So politicians must make peace with crap, become one with it and incorporate
it into their speeches. As Yoda, in Star Wars warned..... "The Crap will be
with you,,,,,,,, always....... " :->

All the current gubernatorial candidates should watch not to let their
political aspirations get up too high,,, currently my son's oldest guinea
pig may go on the ballot as Czar of California, the guinea pig's name is
'Nick' and I think the guinea pig stands a good chance in that race.....

P.S. You are right that the threads have gone outside the scope of the
original post and I am probably mostly responsible for that... :-( But
good luck in the election/race! Look out for my son's guinea pig,,, he is a
born debater! :-/

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

Martin
August 14th 03, 10:58 AM
just to go back to the 2nd or so post by CJ... actually most states DO
have constitutional requirements that the electors do not change their
vote once its declared before the election (in other words, yes they
do have to respect the will of the people). Second, I used to think
the electoral college was crap too, until I realized the beauty of the
system. I could write pages, but watered down, its meant to give more
clout to geopolitical minorities. Its meant to be a restraint on the
"tyranny of the majority" (which has been declared by many scholars as
the biggest threat to american democracy). Smaller states are given
(because of the 2 senator per state thing) more electors per
population.
Ok Im done now ill spare you all

Montblack
August 14th 03, 03:59 PM
("Cecil E. Chapman" wrote)
<snip>
> good luck in the election/race! Look out for my son's guinea pig,,, he is
> born debater! :-/

Remember the (1988) Saturday Night Live episode:

Bush debating Dukakis (Dukakis had a hydraulic lift behind his podium to
bring him up to the same height as Bush,)

After Bush gave a series of strange, incomplete sentence, non-answers,
Dukakis laments. "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy."

Being California, I need to ask - Is it one of those fat guinea pigs or a
healthy "buff" exercise wheel kind of guinea pig?

Montblack
"Tan Rested and Ready ....The new Dick"

Larry Dighera
August 14th 03, 05:55 PM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:55:31 GMT, "Cecil E. Chapman"
> wrote in Message-Id:
>:

>some
>of the older members of our group might be able to recall the movement of
>U.S. citizens who happened to be Japanese sent to interment camps though
>they had violated no law and not been tried or convicted of any treason -
>but simply had different eyes than the white folk that tossed them into
>interment camps during the war with Japan.

Many folks are not aware that during WW-II citizens of Australia of
German and Italian descent were also similarly "caged" in that country
in addition to those of Japanese descent. Given that fact, it's
difficult to see racial features as a basis.

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,

Steven P. McNicoll
August 14th 03, 06:03 PM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message

> Many folks are not aware that during WW-II citizens of Australia of
> German and Italian descent were also similarly "caged" in that country
> in addition to those of Japanese descent. Given that fact, it's
> difficult to see racial features as a basis.

Many folks are also not aware that during WWII US citizens of German and
Italian descent were also similarly "caged" in this country.

Larry Dighera
August 14th 03, 11:23 PM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:03:30 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
et>:

>"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
>>
>> Many folks are not aware that during WW-II citizens of Australia of
>> German and Italian descent were also similarly "caged" in that country
>> in addition to those of Japanese descent. Given that fact, it's
>> difficult to see racial features as a basis.
>>

>Many folks are also not aware that during WWII US citizens of German and
>Italian descent were also similarly "caged" in this country.

Yours is the first mention of that, that I have heard. Thanks for the
information.

http://vikingphoenix.com/public/JapanIncorporated/eo9066/9066it-1.htm
http://vikingphoenix.com/public/JapanIncorporated/eo9066/eo9066.htm
http://www.foitimes.com/internment/
http://members.cox.net/adjacobs/

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?p=internment+of+italian+americans+ww-ii&ei=UTF-8&vm=p&n=20&fl=0&url=wPBqeYFbPWkJ:www.cnn.com/US/9709/21/italian.relocation/
'Secret' of WWII: Italian-Americans forced to move

Were branded 'enemy aliens'
September 21, 1997
Web posted at: 7:53 p.m. EDT (2353 GMT)
SAN FRANCISCO (CNN) -- More than 50 years after World War II,
there is one incident from that era that remains in the shadows --
the forced relocation of some U.S. residents of Italian ancestry
from their homes.

Now, some Italian-Americans believe the federal government needs
to own up to that history. A bill introduced in Congress would
force the government to disclose all that it knows about the
episode.

"We're not asking for monetary compensation," says Rose Scudero,
who was 12 when she and her mother, who was an Italian citizen,
were forced to leave their home. "We want it documented. We want
the government to acknowledge it happened."

In the hysteria that accompanied the outbreak of World War II,
many Japanese citizens on the West Coast were forced into
internment camps, an episode for which the government has
apologized and paid compensation to survivors.

But the United States was also at war with Mussolini's Italy, and
Italian-Americans also were branded "enemy aliens" and told to
move out of certain areas. Even the fisherman father of baseball
great Joe DiMaggio, who had a 56-game hitting streak in 1941, was
told he could not fish San Francisco Bay or visit the city.

Italians relocation
In Pittsburg, California, 2,000 Italians were told to leave. Many
were fishermen, and their boats were confiscated.

"Some of them lost their homes. They had no way of making a
living, and so a lot of the things they had, they lost," says Pat
Firpo of the Pittsburg Historical Society.

"They didn't fully explain to these people why they did this,"
says Scudero. "They felt they had done something wrong. They felt
so guilty."

Because housing was scare in wartime, many of those who were
dislocated had difficulty finding somewhere to live. One woman
even took up residence in a chicken coop.

At the same time, the sons of these so-called "enemy aliens" went
off to fight for the United States.

Bringing attention to what happened during this episode is an
exhibit of photographs and artifacts, called "The Secret Story."
It has been traveling around the country since 1994 and is
scheduled to open in Washington, D.C., next week.

Also, two books have been written, compiling oral tales of the
plight of the dislocated Italian-Americans. But five decades after
the fact, there are still no official historical accounts of the
episode.

Most of those forced to leave are no longer alive. Now, their sons
and daughters are trying to make sure that what their parents
endured is not forgotten.

http://www.upublish.com/books/jacobs.htm
Unknown to most Americans, more than 10,000 Germans and German
Americans were interned in the United States during WWII. This
story is about the internment of a young American and his family.
He was born in the U.S.A. and the story tells of his perilous path
from his home in Brooklyn to internment at Ellis Island, N.Y. and
Crystal City, Texas, and imprisonment, after the war, at a place
in Germany called Hohenasperg.

When he arrived in Germany in the dead of winter, he was
transported to Hohenasperg in a frigid, stench-filled, locked, and
heavily guarded, boxcar. Once in Hohenasperg, he was separated
from his family and put in a prison cell. He was only twelve years
old! He was treated like a Nazi by the U.S. Army guards and was
told that if he didn't behave he would be killed. He tried to tell
them he was an American, but they just told him to shut up. His
fellow inmates included high-ranking officers of the Third Reich
who were being held for interrogation and denazification.

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,

G.R. Patterson III
August 16th 03, 03:37 PM
Greg Burkhart wrote:

> The only candidate us out-of-staters are hearing about is Ahhnold.

Well, since we aren't going to be voting, it doesn't matter if we don't hear
about any of the others.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

Cecil E. Chapman
August 18th 03, 07:25 AM
> Many folks are not aware that during WW-II citizens of Australia of
> German and Italian descent were also similarly "caged" in that country
> in addition to those of Japanese descent. Given that fact, it's
> difficult to see racial features as a basis.

Good point! But keep in mind that the Germans and Italians certainly had
identifiable characteristics. Historically, it has always been a tendency
to hate/suppress those that are identifiably different.

Primarily it was done because they happened to be the same race as the enemy
across the sea. I wasn't saying the racial features themselves were the
reason for the interment but rather that it was easier for the less
discerning to vector hatred in the direction of anyone who had the features
of the enemy. I just find it disappointing that we insist on repeating
mistakes from the past. If some middle-eastern individual (for example) in
this country is suspected of some illegal act, then those government members
who want to conduct the search MUST go before a court that will issue the
warrant for the search and possible seizure. It is unconstitutional to do,
otherwise.

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:55:31 GMT, "Cecil E. Chapman"
> > wrote in Message-Id:
> >:
>
> >some
> >of the older members of our group might be able to recall the movement of
> >U.S. citizens who happened to be Japanese sent to interment camps though
> >they had violated no law and not been tried or convicted of any treason -
> >but simply had different eyes than the white folk that tossed them into
> >interment camps during the war with Japan.
>

> --
>
> Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
> -- Larry Dighera,

G.R. Patterson III
August 19th 03, 04:35 AM
Greg Burkhart wrote:

> The only candidate us out-of-staters are hearing about is Ahhnold.

Well, now there's a porn star that's getting a bit of ... ah... exposure, so
to speak. I didn't catch her name (I was a little preoccupied), but her ... ah
.... qualifications seem to be impressive. She appears to be .... ah ... amply
equipped for assisting personally in programs for feeding poverty-stricken
pre-schoolers, for example. And, of course, she has demonstrated experience in
screwing the citizenry.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

Google