PDA

View Full Version : Lightspeed Comes Through!

Jay Honeck
August 15th 03, 05:39 AM
As many of you know, while at OSH 2003 I had one of those inadvertent
"once-in-a-lifetime" conversations with the president of Lightspeed
Aviation. The story goes as follows:

I've had three pair of LightSpeed headset -- two 15s and a 20XL -- that I
have purchased over the last four years. The first one was purchased at OSH
'99, the second at OSH '00, and the last one was purchased at OSH '01.

Since then, they have ALL been repaired multiple times. Headbands have
broken. Cords have repeatedly broken internally. The ANR has become
unbalanced. Ear cushions have delaminated and flaked off. You name it,
it's happened.

On each occasion, LightSpeed's customer service has been remarkable. Each
time the repairs have been made (or parts sent) for free, cheerfully and
quickly. However, over time, I grew weary of things breaking, and decided
that our fourth (and final) pair of ANRs would be some brand OTHER than
LightSpeed. I had simply reached a point where I no longer cared how good
their comfort (the best on the market) and customer service was -- I just
wanted a pair of headsets that I could count on.

So, this was my mind-set when I wandered up to the Pacific Coast Avionics
booth, in one of the big exhibit buildings at OSH '03 last month. I simply
found a guy -- totally at random -- behind the counter, and told him I
wanted to be shown their BEST ANR headphones, but not to bother with
LightSpeeds...

Upon hearing this, he stopped and asked me why I didn't believe in
LightSpeeds. So I told him my entire tale of woe, highlighting each and
every design flaw that I had "discovered", and bemoaning the fact that,
while I LOVED the things, they just simply broke too damned easily. After
hearing this diatribe he stopped again, thought a moment, and then stuck his
hand out to shake my hand. He then proceeded to introduce himself as the
president of LightSpeed, Inc., and thanked me profusely for telling him
everything I had just said!

Needless to say, I was highly embarrassed, having just thoroughly
eviscerating the poor guy's company. But he went on to say that Mary and I
were the kind of customers that he NEEDED to keep happy, since we had stuck
with them through "thick and thin" during their growing years, and he then
proceeded to give me his business card, with the advice to "give me a call
when we both get back to the world, and I'll send you a pair of 20 3Gs,
absolutely free, just so you can see how far we've come."

He then went on to freely admit ALL of the design problems they had
encountered, and showed me on the new model how they had been overcome. I
eventually left, incredulous but willing to give them another shot.

When I got home, I gave him a few days to recuperate, and then gave him a
call. To my surprise, he still had my business card in hand, and asked me
if that was the address I wanted the new headsets sent to! He then again
thanked me for my years of loyalty. Again amazed, I sat back and waited for
over a week...

Well, they arrived today -- a brand-spanking new pair of LightSpeed 20 3Gs.
As opposed to my old LightSpeeds, this new model now has an auxiliary input
(for cell phones and MP3 players), a "bass boost" and "treble boost" (to
offset the tinny sound of music created when listening with ANR headsets), a
holster (for holding the battery box on the wall of the plane, thus removing
the weight from the wires), a beefed up headband, and re-designed ear
cushions (that won't delaminate). They look -- and sound -- great!

In the box was a note from Allan, stating: "This headset is given freely
for your use and enjoyment. May the accumulated improvements we've made
provide you with years of trouble-free flying! :-) "

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding as to whether their redesigned
features hold up in actual use -- but what more can I say? Can you beat
THAT for customer service?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Greg Burkhart
August 15th 03, 06:49 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Well, they arrived today -- a brand-spanking new pair of LightSpeed 20
3Gs.
> As opposed to my old LightSpeeds, this new model now has an auxiliary
input
> (for cell phones and MP3 players), a "bass boost" and "treble boost" (to
> offset the tinny sound of music created when listening with ANR headsets),
> holster (for holding the battery box on the wall of the plane, thus
removing
> the weight from the wires), a beefed up headband, and re-designed ear
> cushions (that won't delaminate). They look -- and sound -- great!

Sounds like it finally worked out good for you with LightSpeed. Glad to hear
that he followed through with his word. Keep us informed in the next few
months if you have any problems with them. He probably figures if he treats
you well, you'll tell others and he'll get more customers. He's right -- I
may check them out and buy a set at the next OSH..

Justin Case
August 15th 03, 01:49 PM
Fantastic Story. The Lord was looking after you that day. Let's see
if he keeps on looking after you in the future.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 04:39:15 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> [...]

>Well, they arrived today -- a brand-spanking new pair of LightSpeed 20 3Gs.
>As opposed to my old LightSpeeds, this new model now has an auxiliary input
>(for cell phones and MP3 players), a "bass boost" and "treble boost" (to
>offset the tinny sound of music created when listening with ANR headsets), a
>holster (for holding the battery box on the wall of the plane, thus removing
>the weight from the wires), a beefed up headband, and re-designed ear
>cushions (that won't delaminate). They look -- and sound -- great!
>
>In the box was a note from Allan, stating: "This headset is given freely
>for your use and enjoyment. May the accumulated improvements we've made
>provide you with years of trouble-free flying! :-) "
>
>Of course, the proof will be in the pudding as to whether their redesigned
>features hold up in actual use -- but what more can I say? Can you beat

Brad Z
August 15th 03, 01:51 PM
So Can I have your old set? :)

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> [...]
> As opposed to my old LightSpeeds, this new model now has an auxiliary
input
> (for cell phones and MP3 players), a "bass boost" and "treble boost" (to
> offset the tinny sound of music created when listening with ANR headsets),
> holster (for holding the battery box on the wall of the plane, thus
removing
> the weight from the wires), a beefed up headband, and re-designed ear
> cushions (that won't delaminate). They look -- and sound -- great!
>
> In the box was a note from Allan, stating: "This headset is given freely
> for your use and enjoyment. May the accumulated improvements we've made
> provide you with years of trouble-free flying! :-) "
>
> Of course, the proof will be in the pudding as to whether their redesigned
> features hold up in actual use -- but what more can I say? Can you beat

Jay Honeck
August 15th 03, 02:56 PM
> Fantastic Story. The Lord was looking after you that day. Let's see
> if he keeps on looking after you in the future.

Wow -- did anyone else find this statement just a bit chilling?

I don't think you meant it to sound *that* way, Justin, but... :)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
August 15th 03, 02:58 PM
> So Can I have your old set? :)

Our last pair of non-ANR headphones is a nearly bullet-proof pair of
FlightCom 5DX's.

They're heavy, they hurt, the sound quality is fair to middling -- but they
never, EVER break.

I think I better hang on to them as a spare, don't you? :)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ron Natalie
August 15th 03, 03:49 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:MF5%a.150747$uu5.23133@sccrnsc04...
> > So Can I have your old set? :)
>
> Our last pair of non-ANR headphones is a nearly bullet-proof pair of
> FlightCom 5DX's.
>
> They're heavy, they hurt, the sound quality is fair to middling -- but they
> never, EVER break.

Gee, we never had our lightspeeds break, but Margy's FlightCom 5DLX's were
a nightmare. I repaired the things several times before I finally gave up (they
conveniently died on the way to Oshkosh so she bought the (then newly
released) Lightspeed 20K's). I finally decided my Dave Clark 10-80's I'd been
abusing for 15 years were never going to die and bought the 25 XLs.

TripFarmer
August 15th 03, 03:53 PM
Good follow up Jay. I e-mailed the company 3 days ago asking if the new
25XL2's had the design flaws fixed and have yet to get a reply. I told them
I'd heard that they had great service after the sale but what good was service
when the $400 headsets keep breaking and are in the mail all the time.

Again, no reply yet. Kind of tells me they won't but I'll keep waiting.

Trip

In article <TtZ_a.148428$uu5.22910@sccrnsc04>, says...

> [...]
>
>Well, they arrived today -- a brand-spanking new pair of LightSpeed 20 3Gs.
>As opposed to my old LightSpeeds, this new model now has an auxiliary input
>(for cell phones and MP3 players), a "bass boost" and "treble boost" (to
>offset the tinny sound of music created when listening with ANR headsets), a
>holster (for holding the battery box on the wall of the plane, thus removing
>the weight from the wires), a beefed up headband, and re-designed ear
>cushions (that won't delaminate). They look -- and sound -- great!
>
>In the box was a note from Allan, stating: "This headset is given freely
>for your use and enjoyment. May the accumulated improvements we've made
>provide you with years of trouble-free flying! :-) "
>
>Of course, the proof will be in the pudding as to whether their redesigned
>features hold up in actual use -- but what more can I say? Can you beat

Jay Honeck
August 15th 03, 03:58 PM
> > They're heavy, they hurt, the sound quality is fair to middling -- but
they
> > never, EVER break.
> >
> Gee, we never had our lightspeeds break, but Margy's FlightCom 5DLX's were
> a nightmare. I repaired the things several times before I finally gave
up (they
> conveniently died on the way to Oshkosh so she bought the (then newly
> released) Lightspeed 20K's). I finally decided my Dave Clark 10-80's I'd
been
> abusing for 15 years were never going to die and bought the 25 XLs.

Funny how things work, isn't it? My kids can twist and yank and drop the
FlightComs without fear, but they KNOW they have to handle the LightSpeeds
with "kid gloves" or risk the wrath of Dad and a broken headset.

I think I could use the 5DXs as a wheel chock, without harm to them. Of
course, they're so uncomfortable, you practically *want* them to break! ;)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dan Luke
August 15th 03, 05:47 PM
> Of course, the proof will be in the pudding as to whether their redesigned
> features hold up in actual use -- but what more can I say? Can you beat
> THAT for customer service?

You really have to hand it to LS for service - they do try harder.

Let us know how that cell phone hookup works.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Jay Honeck
August 15th 03, 05:52 PM
> Change Lord with Fates. How's that?

It wasn't his reference to "the Lord" that spooked me.

It's that part about "Let's see if He keeps on looking after you in the
future" that somehow came out sounding like a veiled threat! :)

(Like, if THIS headset fails on me, I will incur the wrath of God, of
sumpin'... :)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Peter R.
August 15th 03, 05:53 PM
("Dan Luke" <c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet>) wrote:

> Let us know how that cell phone hookup works.

I have used it with my Thirty 3 Gs (when the headsets were not on the
injured reserve list, that is) and I'd say it works very well. Lightspeed
even includes a standard cable in the Twenty 3 and the Thirty 3 G box that
fits the headset jack of the more common cell phones.

Sorry to be so generic. Is there something specific you want to know about
using the cell phone hookup?

--
Peter

Montblack
August 15th 03, 05:55 PM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> > Fantastic Story. The Lord was looking after you that day. Let's see
> > if he keeps on looking after you in the future.

> Wow -- did anyone else find this statement just a bit chilling?
>
> I don't think you meant it to sound *that* way, Justin, but... :)

Change Lord with Fates. How's that?

...or Leprechauns. You know, that Pot-o-Luck aviation thing <g>.

(I include the original quote because I wasn't about to risk fate by
deleting The Lord)

--
Montblack

Dan Luke
August 15th 03, 07:59 PM
"Peter R." wrote:
> Is there something specific you want to know about
> using the cell phone hookup?

Yes, Peter, thanks:
Does the headset automatically activate the cell phone interface if a call
is made or received? If so, does it automatically mute the cell phone audio
if the aircraft audio is active?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Robert M. Gary
August 15th 03, 08:53 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message >...
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:MF5%a.150747$uu5.23133@sccrnsc04...
> Gee, we never had our lightspeeds break, but Margy's FlightCom 5DLX's were
> a nightmare. I repaired the things several times before I finally gave up (they
> conveniently died on the way to Oshkosh so she bought the (then newly
> released) Lightspeed 20K's). I finally decided my Dave Clark 10-80's I'd been
> abusing for 15 years were never going to die and bought the 25 XLs.

Funny, I have 700 hours on my Flightcom 5DXLs and only recently had a
small problem. My kids have stepped on them more times than I'd care
to remember. However, I've had DC's break on me and they've always
felt very "industrial" on my head. I just picked up a LightSpeed
twenty 3g (it's lighter than the thirty and I don't need the cell
phone interface).

-Robert

Jay Honeck
August 15th 03, 09:58 PM
I just picked up a LightSpeed
> twenty 3g (it's lighter than the thirty and I don't need the cell
> phone interface).

The Twenty 3Gs I just received HAVE the cell phone interface...

Must be a recent change?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Thomas Borchert
August 16th 03, 08:36 AM
Jay,

> Wow -- did anyone else find this statement just a bit chilling?

I found a lot about that statement, now that you ask. But I didn't want
to start a flame war. I noticed the hidden "threat of doom", too.
That's just how some religions work, as I understand it.

BTW, glad to hear Allan more than lived up to the Lightspeed
reputation. Now, do take good care of those new ones, will ya? ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas Borchert
August 16th 03, 08:54 AM
Jay,

> The Twenty 3Gs I just received HAVE the cell phone interface...
>
> Must be a recent change?

They always had it. All 3Gs do. The 20XL2 doesn't.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Justin Case
August 16th 03, 01:24 PM
Another clairvoyant! How about the lottery numbers for the next
drawing? I could use a new UPS stack before it goes away.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:36:12 +0200, Thomas Borchert
> wrote:

>Jay,
>
>> Wow -- did anyone else find this statement just a bit chilling?
>>

>I found a lot about that statement, now that you ask. But I didn't want
>to start a flame war. I noticed the hidden "threat of doom", too.
>That's just how some religions work, as I understand it.
>
>BTW, glad to hear Allan more than lived up to the Lightspeed
>reputation. Now, do take good care of those new ones, will ya? ;-)

Jay Honeck
August 16th 03, 03:23 PM
> Another clairvoyant! How about the lottery numbers for the next
> drawing? I could use a new UPS stack before it goes away.

Huh?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Peter R.
August 16th 03, 03:47 PM
wrote:

> Does the headset automatically activate the cell phone interface if a call
> is made or received?

The cell phone interface is active immediately upon plugging the
interface cable into both the phone and the headset battery pack. In
other words, you are able to hear the phone number tones when you are
dialing, as well as when the cell phone is sending or receiving a call.

> If so, does it automatically mute the cell phone audio
> if the aircraft audio is active?

No, the cell phone audio is always active, regardless of reception or
transmission over the com radios. Only the music audio has the mute
feature, but this can be disabled by pressing and holding one of the
buttons on the battery pack (I forgot which as I do not use the music
input feature of the headsets).

--
Peter

Aloft
August 16th 03, 11:46 PM
I'm sure the Mrs. will love her new headset! What're *you* gonna use? :-)

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> Well, they arrived today -- a brand-spanking new pair of LightSpeed 20
3Gs.

> In the box was a note from Allan, stating: "This headset is given freely
> for your use and enjoyment. May the accumulated improvements we've made
> provide you with years of trouble-free flying! :-) "

Jay Honeck
August 17th 03, 03:48 AM
> I'm sure the Mrs. will love her new headset! What're *you* gonna use? :-)

Actually, they now become the "Left Seat" set -- which means we'll each wear
them 50% of the time... ;)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
August 17th 03, 03:49 AM
> [crooning]
> ...Oh, it's sad to belong to someone else, when the right one comes along.
>
> <Big evil Grin>

*groan*

That song SUCKS! :)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Gary L. Drescher
August 17th 03, 01:29 PM
As a result of your testimonial (and others' comments in reply), I'm
seriously considering getting a Lightspeed headset now. Probably others
here are too. I think Lightspeed made an excellent investment by sending
you a free headset!

--Gary

Jay Honeck
August 17th 03, 02:25 PM
> As a result of your testimonial (and others' comments in reply), I'm
> seriously considering getting a Lightspeed headset now. Probably others
> here are too. I think Lightspeed made an excellent investment by sending
> you a free headset!

I agree.

Let's just hope they actually solved the design problems in THIS model. I
will be posting results over time, and I'm rooting for them!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Wizard of Draws
August 17th 03, 06:54 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Let's just hope they actually solved the design problems in THIS model. I
> will be posting results over time, and I'm rooting for them!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

No fair treating them with kid gloves.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

"Cartoons with a Touch of Magic"
http://www.wizardofdraws.com
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Arnold for Governor!
http://www.wizardofdraws.com/store/terminator.html

Thomas Borchert
August 17th 03, 07:48 PM
Gary,

> I think Lightspeed made an excellent investment by sending
> you a free headset!

that's the magic of marketing ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas Borchert
August 17th 03, 08:48 PM
Wizard,

> fair treating them with kid gloves.

Uhm, I treat ANYTHING I paid 500 bucks for with kids gloves - but maybe
you rich guys are different.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Wizard of Draws
August 17th 03, 09:49 PM
Thomas Borchert wrote:

> Wizard,
>
> > fair treating them with kid gloves.
> >

> Uhm, I treat ANYTHING I paid 500 bucks for with kids gloves - but maybe
> you rich guys are different.
>
> --
> Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas,
I believe Jay said these were free, as a marketing ploy and in exchange
for his demonstrated loyalty to the brand.

And...
I draw cartoons for a number of reasons, and one of them is because I do
not have a lot of money. Oh, I admit that people are willing to pay me
for a few doodles now and then, but only just enough to keep my aviation
appetite satiated.

I am lucky enough to be rich in many other ways: a loving and wonderful
wife who tolerates my eccentricities, two wonderful children who
aggravate me as often as they can but still make me proud, I'm
reasonably healthy and happy, I have a talent that many envy, and last
but not least, I can fly.

Wealthy yes, but it isn't the kind you find in any bank.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

"Cartoons with a Touch of Magic"
http://www.wizardofdraws.com
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Arnold for Governor!
http://www.wizardofdraws.com/store/terminator.html

Gary L. Drescher
August 18th 03, 01:20 AM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> "Gary L. Drescher" wrote:
> >
> > As a result of your testimonial (and others' comments in reply), I'm
> > seriously considering getting a Lightspeed headset now.
>
> Best wait and see how long *this* set lasts.

Good point. If I were getting my first headset, I'd certainly want to wait
for more evidence. But since Lightspeed's repair service is good, I can
afford to gamble a little, since I can just fall back on my older headsets
for awhile if need be.

--Gary

> George Patterson
> Brute force has an elegance all its own.

G.R. Patterson III
August 18th 03, 01:22 AM
"Gary L. Drescher" wrote:

> As a result of your testimonial (and others' comments in reply), I'm
> seriously considering getting a Lightspeed headset now.

Best wait and see how long *this* set lasts.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

Thomas Borchert
August 18th 03, 08:00 AM
Wizard,

> I believe Jay said these were free, as a marketing ploy and in exchange
> for his demonstrated loyalty to the brand.

That's no reason to treat them (unrealistically) bad, as you suggested
(kind of) - and then possibly even complain. Well, you get my drift...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Jay Honeck
August 18th 03, 07:34 PM
> Yea, but after a while it gets real old. For those that try to read
> into my posts and think they see mysterious things, I specifically
> mean that it is tiresome to continually send the headsets back to the
> factory (usually USPS Priority on your nickel) for repair regardless
> of how outstanding the customer service is.

What do you guys suppose Justin is *REALLY* trying to say here? ;-)

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
August 18th 03, 07:42 PM
> Good point. If I were getting my first headset, I'd certainly want to
wait
> for more evidence. But since Lightspeed's repair service is good, I can
> afford to gamble a little, since I can just fall back on my older headsets
> for awhile if need be.

No, the new set didn't break. But it's almost as funny...

Gleefully preparing for our very first flight (yesterday, to Minneapolis, to
see the Maul of America) with FOUR ANR headsets on board, I carefully moved
the new pair into the prime left seat spot, the 25XLs from the left to the
right seat, the 15s from the right seat to the rear, and the old Flightcoms
OUT of the plane entirely.

Shortly after take-off, my son discovered that he could no longer be heard
on the intercom. Apparently the simple act of moving the 15s from the front
seat to the back seat caused a wire in the microphone boom to fail
internally.

As always, a call to Lightspeed was all it took to get a return
authorization, and they will be good as new in a few days...

Until then, the trusty Flightcoms are back in their position of "honor"...
:(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Teacherjh
August 18th 03, 11:49 PM

Shortly after take-off, my son discovered that he could no longer be heard
on the intercom.
<<

The regular microphone that comes with the airplane can be used also. Plug it
into the mic jack, and push to talk. Hand it to the other passenger when they
need to talk. You won't be transmitting unless you're at one of the pilot
stations.

Jose

Ben Haas
August 19th 03, 02:16 AM
This is almost tooooo funny. Hey Jay, I will try to get ya booked on
Jay leno soon....... I have two pairs of 20 3 G's and so far all is
just great with them. That ANR concept is a wonderful thing.
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:<m690b.182200$Ho3.25391@sccrnsc03>...
> > Good point. If I were getting my first headset, I'd certainly want to
> wait
> > for more evidence. But since Lightspeed's repair service is good, I can
> > afford to gamble a little, since I can just fall back on my older headsets
> > for awhile if need be.
>
> No, the new set didn't break. But it's almost as funny...
>
> Gleefully preparing for our very first flight (yesterday, to Minneapolis, to
> see the Maul of America) with FOUR ANR headsets on board, I carefully moved
> the new pair into the prime left seat spot, the 25XLs from the left to the
> right seat, the 15s from the right seat to the rear, and the old Flightcoms
> OUT of the plane entirely.
>
> Shortly after take-off, my son discovered that he could no longer be heard
> on the intercom. Apparently the simple act of moving the 15s from the front
> seat to the back seat caused a wire in the microphone boom to fail
> internally.
>
> As always, a call to Lightspeed was all it took to get a return
> authorization, and they will be good as new in a few days...
>
> Until then, the trusty Flightcoms are back in their position of "honor"...
> :(

Thomas Borchert
August 19th 03, 08:36 AM
Jay,

no offense meant, but my first thought was: Yeah, right.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Jay Honeck
August 19th 03, 03:32 PM
> no offense meant, but my first thought was: Yeah, right.

No offense taken. It's almost too crazy to believe. I just UPS'd them back
to Oregon. I believe this particular set has made that journey three times
now, since '99 or '00...

Someone really must do their MBA thesis on the Lightspeed Aviation story.
A perfect example of forgetting the details...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
August 19th 03, 04:01 PM
If they are a thriving, profitable company, maybe the thesis should be -
Screw the Details.

The bottom line on this issue is ...the bottom line. Wonder how they're
doing in the marketplace?

--
Montblack

"Jay Honeck"
> Someone really must do their MBA thesis on the Lightspeed Aviation story.
> A perfect example of forgetting the details...

Thomas Borchert
August 19th 03, 05:15 PM
Jay,

> Someone really must do their MBA thesis on the Lightspeed Aviation story.
> A perfect example of forgetting the details...

Well, as you know, Lightspeed would be long out of business if even a
noticable minority, let alone a majority, would have your kind of problems
- or in fact any kind of problem. So, in one way or another, you must be
special. But of course, you know that ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Justin Case
August 19th 03, 05:16 PM
As I saw written today, "They have plenty of practice fixing them".

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:01:52 -0500, "Montblack"
> wrote:

>If they are a thriving, profitable company, maybe the thesis should be -
>Screw the Details.
>
>The bottom line on this issue is ...the bottom line. Wonder how they're
>doing in the marketplace?

EDR
August 20th 03, 06:44 AM
> I picked up (from talking to the Prez at OSH) that I was not alone in my
> despair with their products. And I don't think the president of LightSpeed
> would be working the booth at Pacific Coast Avionics is they were rolling in
> greenbacks.

Wait a minute!!!
Jim Weir shows up at OSH every year, and he makes good products. And he
certainly is generous with his time and advice to anyone who asks. So
why isn't he rolling in money? :-)

Barnyard BOb --
August 20th 03, 12:15 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

>As always, a call to Lightspeed was all it took to get a return
>authorization, and they will be good as new in a few days...
>
>Until then, the trusty Flightcoms are back in their position of "honor"...

Jay:

What is so wonderful about Lightspeed that
Flightcom ANR's literally have to take a back seat...
no matter how much/badly the Lightspeeds screw up?

Barnyard BOb -- long time Flightcom ANR user

EDR
August 20th 03, 02:57 PM
> Haven't had to send either of the BOSE back yet!

The only time my DC's went back was 20 years after I bought them.
Had them overhauled after the plugs developed strain relief breaks.

Thomas Borchert
August 20th 03, 03:38 PM
Edr,

> The only time my DC's went back was 20 years after I bought them.
> Had them overhauled after the plugs developed strain relief breaks.

Ah, and how fondly you must remember all those headaches over the two
decades... <gd&r>

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

EDR
August 20th 03, 05:33 PM
In article >, Thomas Borchert
> wrote:
> > The only time my DC's went back was 20 years after I bought them.
> > Had them overhauled after the plugs developed strain relief breaks.

> Ah, and how fondly you must remember all those headaches over the two
> decades... <gd&r>

Hey, when you don't fly beyond bladder range, they don't have time to
become uncomfortable.

Jay Honeck
August 21st 03, 04:13 AM
> >Until then, the trusty Flightcoms are back in their position of
"honor"...

> What is so wonderful about Lightspeed that
> Flightcom ANR's literally have to take a back seat...
> no matter how much/badly the Lightspeeds screw up?

My FlightComs weren't ANRs. The 5DX is just a "regular" headphone that --
no matter how good -- can't compare to even a bad ANR set.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Justin Case
August 21st 03, 04:25 AM
Do you really want an answer to that? ;-)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:44:12 GMT, EDR > wrote:

>> I picked up (from talking to the Prez at OSH) that I was not alone in my
>> despair with their products. And I don't think the president of LightSpeed
>> would be working the booth at Pacific Coast Avionics is they were rolling in
>> greenbacks.
>
>Wait a minute!!!
>Jim Weir shows up at OSH every year, and he makes good products. And he
>certainly is generous with his time and advice to anyone who asks. So
>why isn't he rolling in money? :-)

Thomas Borchert
August 21st 03, 10:00 AM
Edr,

> Hey, when you don't fly beyond bladder range, they don't have time to
> become uncomfortable.

On my head, they do. Takes about 2 minutes, max.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Ryan Ferguson
August 21st 03, 04:33 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> > no offense meant, but my first thought was: Yeah, right.
>
> No offense taken. It's almost too crazy to believe. I just UPS'd them back
> to Oregon. I believe this particular set has made that journey three times
> now, since '99 or '00...

I'm familiar with the skeptical sentiment... the FBO pilot shop which accepted
my two pair for repair at least a half a dozen times started to get a little
irritated with me too. While they were always polite about it, one comment I
remember hearing was, "Do you wear these while playing football, or something?"

Until you go through the irritating process that Jay and I both have
experienced, you won't know how CAREFULLY we've both treated our headsets.
Towards the end I literally handled my 25XLs as though they were a carton of
eggs. I'd never just toss them in the seat of my car (I'll do that with my
Bose X's when they're enclosed in the carrying case any day.) Plugging them
into the panel - carefully, SLOWLY, don't bend the cable at all, don't do
anything fast. Turning on the ANR- handle the switches carefully.
Repositioning the mic boom - quently squeeze to move it where you want it to
be. Don't rotate the mic too far. Don't let the ANR box just hang where your
knees can hit it - take the stress off of it by carefully tucking it into a
side pocket. And putting them on - heavens! It's like handling live dynamite
in close proximity to your cranium. You'd better be careful, or they might
just fall apart!

Jay, I'm with you, man... and I feel your pain! No, really!

-Ryan

Ryan Ferguson
August 21st 03, 05:04 PM
I don't know either. Perhaps an intermittent QC problem, but one thing I'm sure of is that Jay
and I are no flukes when it comes to these kinds of issues. On the other hand, I don't really
care anymore... I've gone over to the Bose X and I am never coming back to Lightspeed.

-Ryan

Ron Natalie wrote:

> "Ryan Ferguson" > wrote in message ...
>

> > Until you go through the irritating process that Jay and I both have
> > experienced, you won't know how CAREFULLY we've both treated our headsets.
> > Towards the end I literally handled my 25XLs as though they were a carton of
> > eggs.
>
> I just don't understand this. I have never been overly kind with mine. They get
> tossed on the floor after a flight. My 25XL's and Margy's 20K's get swapped on
> each leg. The ones on the left side dangle from the pael, and he one on the right
> side get lost in a see of goofy wires caused by the addition of the PTT on that side
> of the plane. I cram them into a flight bag and take them to NASCAR races and
> have yet to damage either one.

Dan Luke
August 22nd 03, 01:13 AM
"Ron Natalie" wrote:
> > Towards the end I literally handled my 25XLs as though they were a
carton of
> > eggs.
>
> I just don't understand this. I have never been overly kind with
mine.

I've had the same experience with my 25XL as Jay and Ryan. It's been
demoted to copilot duty.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Dan Luke
August 22nd 03, 01:20 AM
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
> My FlightComs weren't ANRs. The 5DX is just a "regular" headphone
that --
> no matter how good -- can't compare to even a bad ANR set.

ANR is the greatest thing since GPS, IMO. Remember how we used to see
a lot of posts saying ANR sets weren't worth it - or that they were
actually inferior to passive sets? Are there still holdouts?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Jay Honeck
August 22nd 03, 01:57 AM
> ANR is the greatest thing since GPS, IMO. Remember how we used to see
> a lot of posts saying ANR sets weren't worth it - or that they were
> actually inferior to passive sets? Are there still holdouts?

Agree 100%. ANR has surely changed our flight experience as much as GPS.

I clearly remember coming home from long cross country flights, and
literally going straight to bed. I was thoroughly exhausted, and just
needed to lay down and close my eyes.

Part of that was the stress of being a student pilot -- but I know now that
a lot of it was due to the incredible racket inside the cockpit of a small
plane. I had a pair of headphones that had LITERALLY cost me seven dollars
(my CFI had dug it out of the trash, and repaired it), and the ambient noise
on each flight was just killing me.

Nowadays we knock off 4 hour legs without batting an eye, and then spend all
day touring our destination, completely fresh and ready to go. Part of that
is due to experience, but a major part is due to the wonders of ANR
headphones. They are truly a miracle of the modern era.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Justin Case
August 22nd 03, 02:24 AM
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:57:08 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>> ANR is the greatest thing since GPS, IMO. Remember how we used to see
>> a lot of posts saying ANR sets weren't worth it - or that they were
>> actually inferior to passive sets? Are there still holdouts?
>
>Agree 100%. ANR has surely changed our flight experience as much as GPS.
>
>I clearly remember coming home from long cross country flights, and
>literally going straight to bed. I was thoroughly exhausted, and just
>needed to lay down and close my eyes.
>
>Part of that was the stress of being a student pilot -- but I know now that
>a lot of it was due to the incredible racket inside the cockpit of a small
>plane. I had a pair of headphones that had LITERALLY cost me seven dollars
>(my CFI had dug it out of the trash, and repaired it), and the ambient noise
>on each flight was just killing me.
>
>Nowadays we knock off 4 hour legs without batting an eye, and then spend all
>day touring our destination, completely fresh and ready to go. Part of that
>is due to experience, but a major part is due to the wonders of ANR
>headphones. They are truly a miracle of the modern era.

Ah, next you may discover 02 at above 6000 ft.

Dan Luke
August 22nd 03, 02:54 AM
"Justin Case" wrote:
> Ah, next you may discover 02 at above 6000 ft.

Ya know, that's exactly what I was thinking going to Houston Sunday at
8,000 ft. After a couple of hours I was feeling a bit groggy and
wondering if a sniff might be just the thing to perk me up. My
daughter was nodding and my grandson was getting cranky. It's time for
a bottle and some cannulas, I think.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Ray Andraka
August 22nd 03, 03:06 AM
I don't care for ANR sets. Every one that I have tried gives me a
feeling of pressure, sort of like a blocked ear. I don't know why, it
shouldn't, but I find it very uncomfortable.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Dan Luke
August 22nd 03, 01:04 PM
"wildcat" wrote:

> >I don't care for ANR sets. Every one that I have tried gives me a
> >feeling of pressure, sort of like a blocked ear. I don't know why, it
> >shouldn't, but I find it very uncomfortable.

The extra 20+ db of low freq. noise doesn't give you a "feeling of
pressure?"

> I'm with you Ray... I don't like ANR one bit. The sound is not
> natural at all and sounds "processed" to my ear. I'm sticking with
> good passive noise reduction.

I'm really not arguing with you, guys; to each his own. But when I hit the
ANR switch on my Telex (which has excellent passive performance) it turns
thunder into a whisper; I swear I almost hear the angels singing.
Amazing...
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Justin Case
August 22nd 03, 01:31 PM
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:54:03 -0500, "Dan Luke"
> wrote:

>"Justin Case" wrote:
>> Ah, next you may discover 02 at above 6000 ft.
>
>Ya know, that's exactly what I was thinking going to Houston Sunday at
>8,000 ft. After a couple of hours I was feeling a bit groggy and
>wondering if a sniff might be just the thing to perk me up. My
>daughter was nodding and my grandson was getting cranky. It's time for
>a bottle and some cannulas, I think.

I use Sky Ox and the cannulas are great. Very low settings make the O2
last a long time at lower altitudes. I saw a neat device at their OSH
booth this year, a cannula that velcro'd onto the headset. Really
attractive and interesting. I may try one.

Ray Andraka
August 22nd 03, 01:44 PM
The extra 20dB noise doesn't feel unnatural. The blocked ear feeling does. I
find myself trying to clear a block that isn't there, which is extremely
distracting.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Jay Honeck
August 22nd 03, 01:44 PM
> I'm really not arguing with you, guys; to each his own. But when I hit the
> ANR switch on my Telex (which has excellent passive performance) it turns
> thunder into a whisper; I swear I almost hear the angels singing.
> Amazing...

On a flight to Minneapolis last weekend, I kept hearing a strange rattle.
It was driving me crazy after a while, because I couldn't locate the sound.
It didn't sound like an engine or prop problem, but nevertheless I was
concerned.

Strictly by accident, I bumped the key chain hanging from the ignition. The
rattle stopped.

I was hearing the keys on the keychain jingle softly against each other,
with a 6-cylinder, 540 cubic inch piston engine thundering away two feet in
front of me... Truly remarkable.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
August 22nd 03, 02:09 PM
> Jay, do a test... Borrow a portable bottle from someone... Go out at night
> and fly around for 45 minutes at 8500 not using the O2... Then, turn it on
> and while looking right at some lights of the ground put the cannula in
your
> nose and take a half dozen good sniffs... Unless you are an olympic
caliber
> triathelete, you are in for an experience...

I presume the lights get brighter/clearer?

I have noticed that we tend to get more tired when flying at those
altitudes, (kinda nice when the kids nod off!) but I haven't been able to
detect any other side effects. We do keep an eye on our fingernails, and
try to watch each other for signs of hypoxia, but to date haven't seen any.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dennis O'Connor
August 22nd 03, 03:25 PM
The problem with looking at your fingernails is that the first thing to go
is color discrimination...Right after that judgement goes...
Watching the guys in the high altitude chamber is hilarious... They think
they are just fine, and they are drunkenly slurred, staggering, unable to
write, etc...

Denny
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Jay, do a test... Borrow a portable bottle from someone... Go out at
night
> > and fly around for 45 minutes at 8500 not using the O2... Then, turn it
on
> > and while looking right at some lights of the ground put the cannula in
> your
> > nose and take a half dozen good sniffs... Unless you are an olympic
> caliber
> > triathelete, you are in for an experience...
>
> I presume the lights get brighter/clearer?
>
> I have noticed that we tend to get more tired when flying at those
> altitudes, (kinda nice when the kids nod off!) but I haven't been able to
> detect any other side effects. We do keep an eye on our fingernails, and
> try to watch each other for signs of hypoxia, but to date haven't seen
any.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Montblack
August 22nd 03, 03:41 PM
$375.00 - $400.00

http://www.flightstat.nonin.com/

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/content/2003/may/tt_noninflightstat.html

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K1C922CA5
(planeandpilotmag.com/content/2003/may/tt ........)

http://www.avshop.com/catalog/product.html?productid=2190

--
Montblack

("Dennis O'Connor" wrote)
> Jay, do a test... Borrow a portable bottle from someone... Go out at night
> and fly around for 45 minutes at 8500 not using the O2... Then, turn it on
> and while looking right at some lights of the ground put the cannula in
your
> nose and take a half dozen good sniffs... Unless you are an olympic
caliber
> triathelete, you are in for an experience...

Dan Luke
August 22nd 03, 03:42 PM
"Thomas Borchert" wrote:
> Don't forget the "You can't hear the engine anymore" argument. Jeeze!
>
> It must be the one quote I like from Richard Collins: "ANR is the
> greatest thing to GA since seat cushions."

Yep, but isn't it interesting that some people still don't like ANR? One
wonders if there might not be a physiological reason. Perhaps some people
have particularly sensitive hearing that can distinguish the
not-quite-perfect mirror image phasing that ANR uses.

As for myself, after becoming accustomed to ANR, if I had to give it up I
have no doubt I would fly less. As Jay said, a long cross country without
ANR is a tiresome chore.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Thomas Borchert
August 22nd 03, 04:05 PM
Dan,

> Yep, but isn't it interesting that some people still don't like ANR?

Well, I don't know. They must be a REALLY small minority. I'd guess
you'd find a minority for everything on the Internet.

Coming back to the original thread subject: Heck, you even find a
minority that constantly breaks their headsets <gd&r>

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Ray Andraka
August 22nd 03, 04:37 PM
It may well be. I haven't tried an aviation ANR headset in the plane,
tried several at shows though, and they all seem to do it. I have tried
some of those low cost ANR headbands Brookstone used to sell in the
airplane, and I got the same effect there. So far, the relative noisyness
of non-ANR sets has not bothered me enough to get over the discomfort
I find with ANR sets.. It is reassuring to know that at least one other
person has experienced the same discomfort. I was beginning to think
it was all in my head...

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Dan Luke
August 22nd 03, 05:09 PM
"Thomas Borchert" wrote:
> Coming back to the original thread subject: Heck, you even find a
> minority that constantly breaks their headsets <gd&r>

Did I mention I sometimes dangle mine out the window when I fly?

Jon Woellhaf
August 22nd 03, 06:03 PM
As a passenger on a flight back home (Denver BJC) from Quincy, IL (UIN) one
night at 8000 MSL I experimented with supplemental O2 use. I used none for
the first hour. Everything seemed perfectly normal. Then I put on a cannula.
Immediately, with the first couple sniffs, the pale pink instrument lighting
became bright red. It made a believer out of me.

Ron Natalie
August 22nd 03, 08:09 PM
"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message
> Blue fingernails are one of the *last* signs of hypoxia. Unless you had a
> CO leak or something like that, you'd never have blue fingernails at modest
> altitudes, even though using oxygen will significantly improve your state of
> mind.

Actually, if you have CO in the cockpit, you won't get cyanosis either, dang
insidous thing about CO poisoning is that it leaves the tissues nice and red.

Dan Luke
August 22nd 03, 11:36 PM
"Ray Andraka" wrote:
> It may well be. I haven't tried an aviation ANR headset in the
plane,

Dang, Ray, that might explain a lot, don't you think? Borrow one
sometime and try it airborne.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Ray Andraka
August 23rd 03, 02:04 AM
Like I said, I noted the same phenomenon with the noise cancelling
headbands sold by Brookstone. I did use those in the plane and found
that it still was present in the plane, and did get uncomfortable very
quickly. If I get a chance, I'll try it with a purpose made set, but
I really don't expect the results to be any different. The headband
thingy did the same thing as the headsets on the ground, no reason to
expect it to be different in the air.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Ron Lee
August 23rd 03, 04:49 AM
You guys fly that low? Isn't it scary? My transponder is in for
service and I am having to fly below 10,000' MSL and it sucks.
Turbulent and too may other planes around.

Note that my field elevation is almost 6900'. And yes I installed O2
earlier this year.

Ron Lee

>Ya know, that's exactly what I was thinking going to Houston Sunday at
>8,000 ft. After a couple of hours I was feeling a bit groggy and
>wondering if a sniff might be just the thing to perk me up. My
>daughter was nodding and my grandson was getting cranky. It's time for
>a bottle and some cannulas, I think.
>--
>Dan
>C172RG at BFM

Dan Luke
August 25th 03, 02:34 PM
I can't believe you dirty-minded *******s just left that straight line
laying there.

G.R. Patterson III
August 25th 03, 03:24 PM
Dan Luke wrote:

> I can't believe you dirty-minded *******s just left that straight line
> laying there.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

Thomas Borchert
August 25th 03, 04:45 PM
Dan,

I had a reply half-written, then discarded it for the sake of peace
(and Pete) ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Google