PDA

View Full Version : Flight breakfasts.

Greg Burkhart
August 18th 03, 02:28 AM
I attended another local Fly-In breakfast this morning in Mankato, MN
(MKT). This is my third Fly-In breakfast that I have flown in to. Flying
east this morning into the sun and haze isn't something I'd want to do too
often! When I lived in southern Texas, I didn't notice many Fly-Ins
available within a decent distance so I never made any there. Once I moved
to Minnesota, I've seen Fly-Ins advertised almost every weekend throughout
the summer.

I had planned to make several Fly-Ins this summer but work interfered
with a lot of them. I made it to Spencer, IA on 6/15 and Humboldt, IA last
weekend. I also drove to the Fly-In breakfasts at Blaine (ANA) and Fairmont,
MN. I plan on going to Windom (or Iowa City?) next weekend and New Ulm on
9/7.

Each Fly In is a little bit different. They offer free breakfast to the
pilot, some also give the copilot free breakfast too. They are sponsored by
the community Lions, Kiwanis, Rotary, local EAA Chapter, etc., and are
trying to raise funds for the local community. Spencer's Fly-In had an air
show. Humboldt's was a good turnout, they had 62 aircraft fly in and the
local firefighters served 900 breakfasts. Today's in Mankato was sponsored
by the local EAA chapter and had a lot of experimental and vintage aircraft.

Greg Burkhart
August 18th 03, 03:09 AM
I forgot to mention the free chocks, thanks! I was in my '46 Ercoupe and
left about 10:15. What were you in???

"Allan Meuli" > wrote in message
.. .
> Today's in Mankato was sponsored
> > by the local EAA chapter and had a lot of experimental and vintage
> aircraft.
> >
> .. and they gave every pilot their own set of chocks to keep !
>
> What were you flying, Greg? I was there between 10-11:30...
>
> Al

Allan Meuli
August 18th 03, 02:43 PM
> I forgot to mention the free chocks, thanks! I was in my '46 Ercoupe and
> left about 10:15. What were you in???

I saw an Ercoupe or two there on the walk up to the hangar. Yesterday I was
just ridinig along with a friend in his club's Arrow. I usually fly a
Warrior from a club that I am in.

I am planning on flying to Maple Lake Pork Chop fly-in on 9/7 . If you're
there, look for N47734. It's hard to promose anything, though, because
that's whithin 2 days of the due date of our first baby....

Allan Meuli
August 18th 03, 05:34 PM
> Maple Lake, as in Minnesota?

That's the one...

john smith
August 18th 03, 05:46 PM
Allan Meuli wrote:
> I am planning on flying to Maple Lake Pork Chop fly-in on 9/7 . If you're
> there, look for N47734. It's hard to promose anything, though, because
> that's whithin 2 days of the due date of our first baby....

Somehow, I don't think you are going to journeying too far from home at
that time. :-))

Grandpa B.
August 18th 03, 07:18 PM
In '79, Mrs. B and I were in Alexandria (AXN) for the Bellanca fly-in on her
due date. That was ~90 miles from home. When son Matt arrived 5 days later,
though, there was precious little time for dilly-dally; he wanted out *right
now*. He'd have either been born in Alex, or en route. As it was, the temp
the day he arrived was 102F, and I had stopped the work crew early, and was
enjoying a frosty mug at a local tavern. Mrs. B had a bit of trouble
locating me... I made it, though.

There'll be a number of flyers-out from Willmar attending the Maple Lake
event. Some of us also visit Madisin, Starbuck and Hector.

Our fly-in / airshow at ILL is on the 31st of August - the Sunday before
Labor Day. C'mon over! Breakfast, static displays and acro shows, both
amateur and pro. A local ag pilot puts on an impressive display with his
turbine-powered agplane. With a reversing prop, his angle of descent is
scary! At light weight, it stops in an incredibly short distance, too. Best
of all, the show is free and PIC get a freebie breakfast (not uncommon, I
know).

Jon

"john smith" > wrote in message
> Allan Meuli wrote:
> > I am planning on flying to Maple Lake Pork Chop fly-in on 9/7 . If
you're
> > there, look for N47734. It's hard to promose anything, though, because
> > that's whithin 2 days of the due date of our first baby....
>
> Somehow, I don't think you are going to journeying too far from home at
> that time. :-))

Greg Burkhart
August 18th 03, 07:46 PM
"Grandpa B." <never.mind> wrote in message
> Our fly-in / airshow at ILL is on the 31st of August - the Sunday before
> Labor Day. C'mon over! Breakfast, static displays and acro shows, both
> amateur and pro. A local ag pilot puts on an impressive display with his
> turbine-powered agplane. With a reversing prop, his angle of descent is
> scary! At light weight, it stops in an incredibly short distance, too.
Best
> of all, the show is free and PIC get a freebie breakfast (not uncommon, I
> know).

Thanks for the information! I'll add Willmar to my calendar for that Sunday.
8/24 Windom
8/31 Willmar
9/7 New Ulm (breakfast) and Maple Lake (pork chops)
Others???

ILL and ULM are not listed on
http://home.earthlink.net/~earthylinky/minnesota2.htm

Allan Meuli
August 19th 03, 10:14 PM
> Thanks for the information! I'll add Willmar to my calendar for that
Sunday.
> 8/24 Windom
> 8/31 Willmar
> 9/7 New Ulm (breakfast) and Maple Lake (pork chops)
> Others???

We're having one in South St. Paul on October. I'll have more details
later on.

Google