PDA

View Full Version : Re: Q: Niagra Falls and Quebec

Peter R.
August 18th 03, 06:21 PM
john smith ) wrote:

> Which airport and FBO to use at Niagara Falls?

I have used KIAG (Niagara Falls) airport a few times. There is a US$3.00
landing fee there. Fuel is relatively pricey, compared to other airports
in the region. Tech Aviation is the FBO there:

http://www.techaviation.com/

> How far is each airport from the Falls?

KIAG is about six or seven miles away from the falls. Perhaps a ten
minute drive by car.

> Is there transportation to see the Falls?

You mean, besides your airplane? :) A cab will run you about $15 or so
each way. Another option is renting a car for the day.

> Is there a restaurant that overlooks the Falls?

Yes, there are a few. Here is the best view, but not necessarily the best
food:

http://www.skylon.com/revolve.html

> What are the recommendations for FBO's to use at Quebec?

Do not know...

--
Peter

David Megginson
August 18th 03, 09:06 PM
EDR > writes:

> The city (CYQB).

I cannot give any recommendations, except that I vaguely remember
hearing one horror story about landing/terminal/callout fees -- it
would be good to call the airport authority and check:

(418) 640-2663

Here are a couple of FBOs you can call; hopefully, other readers can
comment on their experiences with them (I'm interested in hearing as
well, since CYQB is my obvious fuel stop between Ottawa and the
Maritimes):

Airsol Mécanique Inc. (418) 877-4858
Petro Air Service (418) 877-2808

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/

Snowbird
August 19th 03, 04:23 AM
john smith > wrote in message >...
> Which airport and FBO to use at Niagara Falls?

I think KIAG is the closest airport to the Falls (American
side). Perhaps 5 miles as the crow flies, longer by car (5-10
minutes). Nice airport. Was having trouble keeping an
FBO; some incarnations have had courtesy cars, last I was
there they didn't. They can get you a decent crew rate
for hotels. IIRC (we used to stay w/ relatives) some of
the hotels will pick up, and are then w/in walking distance
of the Falls on the American side.

> Is there transportation to see the Falls?

You could rent a car or take a cab from KIAG, but of course
don't miss overflying the falls in your plane. There is a
special procedure in the AF/D which you should follow. Buff
FSS is great and will answer any questions.

In addition to the more popular viewing areas, I strongly
recommend the local favorite: Goat Island State Park, which
is a series of islands poking into the Niagara River between
the Falls. Great place for a picnic and a rock-scramble,
and a different view of both Canadian and American Falls.
Accessed from American side.

> Is there a restaurant that overlooks the Falls?

The Skylon tower on the Canadian side, but the food is
un-impressive unless it's changed recently. Carnivores
used to speak well of John's Flaming Hearth on US side in
Niagara Falls, but it doesn't have a view of the Falls
(steak, potatoes kind of place). I'm racking my brains
to think of the name of my own favorite restaurant, which
is a fish place overlooking the Niagara River gorge,
and I can't think of it. Shoot!

If you have time, it's well worth it to tour the hydroelectric
plant.

> What are the recommendations for FBO's to use at Quebec?

No experience, can't help.

Cheers,
Sydney (Buffalo gal)

Google