PDA

View Full Version : 121.5 MHz ELT's (was Breitling Watch)

EDR
August 20th 03, 05:40 PM
I had a very interesting conversation with one of the governmental
agencies in their building up at OSH. It began as a discussion of the
new personal locator beacons, and evolved into aircraft epirb's.
After a certain date in the near future, the satellites will no longer
be listening for the 121.5 ELT beacons, they will only monitor for the
400 MHz band signal. The 121.5 signal will only be used as a local
homing signal for SAR forces in close proximity.

Ron Lee
August 21st 03, 05:41 AM
The year is 2008/2009 or around then. If you get a 400 MHz system
with GPS then they will know where you are exactly. Takes the
"Search" out of SAR.

Do a search for "SARSAT"

Ron Lee

EDR > wrote:

>I had a very interesting conversation with one of the governmental
>agencies in their building up at OSH. It began as a discussion of the
>new personal locator beacons, and evolved into aircraft epirb's.
>After a certain date in the near future, the satellites will no longer
>be listening for the 121.5 ELT beacons, they will only monitor for the
>400 MHz band signal. The 121.5 signal will only be used as a local
>homing signal for SAR forces in close proximity.

Google